Enchantment — Aura
Whenever enchanted artifact becomes tapped, its controller gets a poison counter.
Printings View all
|Scars of Mirrodin (SOM)||Common|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Relic Putrescence Discussion
3 weeks ago
5 months ago
Digging the first pass of the deck I would try to go all-in on the infect theme and ditch some of the +1/+1 counter focused cards. Would make the deck feel a lot more consistent in games played.
I also see some cards that give brokkos some form of evasion, its worth noting that brokkos already has a pseudo-evasion like effect by naturally having trample, which deters people from blocking anyways, I feel that the additional evasion effects via creatures to mutate onto seems a bit extra.
I reccomend removing these:
- Merfolk Skydiver - +1/+1 theme, its nice for a 5 mana proliferation sink but I feel its too clunky
- Pollenbright Druid - A one time proliferate is likely too cute for this deck
- Polukranos, Unchained - +1/+1 counter themed, I see the argument for mutating onto a huge creature with +1/+1 counters, but polukranos also shrinks really quickly
- Elusive Tormentor Flip is a nice unblockable threat, but we're winning by going to bash town with infect damage, rather than an unblockable 6/7
- Silhana Ledgewalker Another pseudo-unblockable threat.
- Toothy, Imaginary Friend I likely would only play this card with Pir, Imaginative Rascal, seems very off theme from what you're trying to do aside from giving itself counters.
- Yeva, Nature's Herald This card only gives your green creatures flash, I dont think its really worth it... otherwise I would be super on board
- Blighted Agent is a human and you cannot mutate onto it. I'm not sure if you want to keep it in the deck as an extra infect threat, or go all in on the mutate plan.
- Relic Putrescence feels way too narrow just for giving its controller a single poison counter
- Simic Ascendancy Is a +1/+1 card that I dont see as a viable backup plan
- Leyline of Anticipation It's nice casting things at instant speed but that isnt really the theme of the deck, if folks have instant speed removal they will likely use it anyways and this wont get you many bonus points
- Golgari Charm What is this for? Removing 1/1s? Brokkos has trample and your infect creatures might have 1 toughness... regenerating brokkos? Just mutate again..
Cards I would consider adding:
- Rot Wolf
- Whispering Specter
- Plague Myr
- Blackcleave Goblin
- Triumph of the Hordes
- Blackblade Reforged
Since you're looking for more Destroy effects, Card draw effects, and counter effects, consider the following:
- Beast Within
- Vines of Vastwood
- Deadly Rollick
- Phyrexian Arena
- Painful Truths
- Arcane Denial
- Curtains' Call
There are a few different land ramp spells I may play, but those are likely out of budget. For the remainder of the cuts I reccomend taking out the worst infect creatures, and possibly some of your land ramp spells
1 year ago
1 year ago
A good little thing you can do to put the squeeze on your opponent is play Relic Putrescence on like a Sol Ring or Chromatic Lantern . But Helm of the Host and Strionic Resonator can really put in some work in this deck.
1 year ago
Cut Tortured Existence , Faith of the Devoted , Relic Putrescence , Caress of Phyrexia , Liliana, Death Wielder , Contagion Clasp , Delirium Skeins , Livewire Lash , Liliana's Influence , Gilded Lotus
1 year ago
This is really cool, I didn't realize that Zombie Master was an uncommon.
I feel like you need more Contaminated Ground , Evil Presence and Tainted Well - you're sitting on a goldmine with that Swampwalk for everyone ability, you just need to give people some swamps. Those cards are probably much much better than Relic Putrescence and Death Watch at least.
2 years ago
OK, consider the following changes. Obviously you'll need to consider the budget you want to keep with this deck. I'm looking at options to bring up the kill speed for this deck.
If you really want to hit hard and hit fast, then you need not worry about you own life total early in the game.
I know what you're going for in this deck and I think you should look at this dekc from a different perspective.
I'm not talking about play styles. I'm working with your aggressive beatdown style.
I'm talking about shifting strategies in mid-game.
In the early game you go all-out and hit as hard and fast as possible. Get the kill by turn 4 or 5.
Once you've taken out the primary threat, you shift strategies. Change your approach and work on recovery and defense, shift to a midrange gameplay.
Ditch that crappy Putrefax. The "sacrifice at the end step" is too much of a hinderance for 5 mana. It it were cheaper, maybe, but nope it is just crap.
I really like Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite but the mana cost is too high for the early game. Not sure on this one.
I also think you should reconsider keeping the Lost Leonin since he's cheap and hits the field early. He's also a great pump target.
Better infect creatures:
Relic Putrescence - screw your mana rock.
Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon
Pump for the kill:
Invigorate - Because we don't care what their life total is.
Tainted Strike - Surprise!
Snake Cult Initiation - 3 poison counters at once.
Giant Growth, Mutagenic Growth, Titanic Growth, Might of Old Krosa - The classic pump tactic.
Let's consider toolbox utility cards:
Azorius Guildmage - Because screw your activated ability. Counter a planeswalker ability and watch the looks on their face.
Simic Guildmage - Imagine moving the Rancor or Phyresis after blockers have been declared but before the damage phase.
Prowling Serpopard - Nope, I'm gonna get my creatures.
Melira, Sylvok Outcast - Make the game one-sided.
Lightning Greaves - An additional set of Swiftfoot Boots. Yeah, I know shroud means that you can't pump, but there are ways around that.
Unburial Rites - Here it comes again.
Virulent Wound - Poison and removal.
Pistus Strike - Poison and removal.
There are some -1/-1 counters decks based around Hapatra or Atraxa. Since the infect creatures deal combat damage as whither, we can use that to our advantage.
Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons - Put those -1 counters on opponent's creatures to work making tokens.
Phyrexian Hydra - This gets just stupid with Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons.
Lands you may have missed:
I know we've talked about this in the past, but I think you should really consider getting the shock lands. A quick check of the card prices on TCGPlayer puts the shocks at about @10-15 each. Totally worth it.
Gavony Township - Proliferate!
Vault of the Archangel - Need to stay in the game a bit longer.
Boseiju, Who Shelters All - Screw your counterspell.
2 years ago
A few words of advice:
Don't use Relic Putrescence if every other card in your deck uses life loss
You probably want to fit in the Contaminated Ground in main
And finally, you want some sort of wincon that is fully under your control, because as of now, you lose to any deck with an inevitable wincon.