|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Creature — Human Artificer
When Thopter Engineer enters the battlefield, put a 1/1 colorless Thopter artifact creature token with flying onto the battlefield.
Artifact creatures you control have haste. (They can attack and [[symbol:T] as soon as they come under your control.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Thopter Engineer Discussion
2 weeks ago
clayperce, any thoughts?
The changes to the deck are: -2x Inventor's Apprentice, -3x Thopter Engineer, -3x Lightning Strike for 2x Heart of Kiran, 4x Tezzeret's Touch (currently as Ensoul 5-8), and 2 lands (20 --> 22) the manabase has been switched around to accomodate for more black sources, with the painlands (but 1, as well as one fastland) being replaced with Industrial Tower and Concealed Courtyard. The current breakdown of my colors has Red being the most (by far), followed by Blue, then Black at five symbols and White at four symbols. The mana will be clunkier here, but hopefully Industrial Tower will make up for this. Tezz seems good as a 1-of as his second ability can win me games on a 5/5 or 4/4 flyer, and not just kill opposing creatures.
2 weeks ago
Saw the link on /tg/, figured I would provide some feedback. Admittedly, this kind of deck is out of my element (I don't play combo) so I wouldn't take whatever suggestions provided as absolutely necessary changes.
Individual Card Suggestions
Card draw/Tutor/Cheating things into play:
Haste enablers (since I'm big on haste):
Cards I Would Remove
- Gauntlet of Might - I don't see the immediate benefit of this card, and disagree with the price. I think this card could be swapped out with something that doesn't also benefit any opponent's red creatures (like Caged Sun).
- Gilded Lotus - It is odd to see this in a monocolored deck.
- Commander's Sphere - Also odd seeing this in a monocolored deck, but the card draw option is nice.
- Skullclamp - Not a lot of options to get the card draw effect, from what I'm seeing.
- Karn Liberated - Karn is a little too durdly. Maybe swap with Ugin, the Spirit Dragon given the focus on colorless permanents.
- Bloodstained Mire and Wooded Foothills - I don't see why you would need to fetch for a Mountain or Madblind Mountain.
- Smoldering Crater and Forgotten Cave - I understand the need to draw a card, but these may be better replaced by standard Mountains.
- Kher Keep - Get an 0/1 blocker, I guess? Would swap out for Temple of the False God.
- Warp World - Necessary for chaos decks, but this doesn't look like a chaos deck.
Hopefully I provided some beneficial suggestions. Good luck with the deck!
3 weeks ago
KaiserChronic I think I actually like Pia Nalaar more than I do Pia and Kiran Nalaar! I like Thopter Engineer for giving artifact creatures haste so I might want to keep it as a three of. I'm still playing around with quantities though so I'll test it out with two Thopter Engineers and see how that plays for now. If two isn't enough I'll cut Pia and Kiran Nalaar for Pia Nalaar because she is a must. Great suggestion, thanks!
3 weeks ago
1 month ago
1 month ago
If Thopter.dec is what you're interested in then I have some other options.
- Thopter Engineer
- Sharding Sphinx
- Thopter Spy Network
- Whirler Rogue
- Pia and Kiran Nalaar
- Pia Nalaar
- Hangarback Walker
- Thopter Assembly might not be good for this deck and you might always have a Thopter present.
- Panharmonicon doubling your Thopter ETBs is always good.
Pain, Possible Wincons
Reckless Fireweaver turns your deck into a guzzied up mini Purphoros deck. Other similar cards that can fit into this category:
- Disciple of the Vault
- Marionette Master
- Blood Artist
- Falkenrath Noble
- Impact Tremors
- Goblin Bombardment
- Purphoros, God of the Forge
Add in some card draw like Bident of Thassa, Mystic Remora aka "Rhystic Fish" and Coastal Piracy with some protection like with Padeem, Consul of Innovation and your deck is taking shape. Add some tutors too like Kuldotha Forgemaster which will work wonderfully here.
1 month ago
After playing my iteration of the deck (Breya's ROFLcopter Shenanigans) I have to say that sadly, the more and more we break away from budget the less thopter oriented the deck becomes.
I never go to combat so cards like Sharding Sphinx, Bident of Thassa, ect. are less useful (more on this below). Instead I focus on finding the tried and true combos with Breya. This means that aside from Breya, Nim Deathmantle, Eldrazi Displacer, Ashnod's Altar, and Krark-Clan Ironworks the rest of the deck is just filler aside from tutors and artifact ramp/fixers since these combos satisfy everything we need: mana, thopters, and damage. Tutors are vital so we can fetch our pieces quickly as possible. So if a thopter themed deck is what you want I'd start with the combo pieces listed above, then add as many tutors as you can handle, some card draw, then add in the thopter oriented goodstuff cards like Sharding Sphinx, Thopter Engineer, ect. But honestly, I always go looking for those combo pieces first and consistently go off on turns 4-6.