|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Tenth Edition (10E)||Uncommon|
|Time Spiral (TSP)||Common|
Combos Browse all
(1), Tap, Sacrifice Chromatic Star: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
When Chromatic Star is put into a graveyard from play, draw a card.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (16)||JAT0 , vishnarg , Joblaska , jtfran02 , electrolynx , Va1mar , brokendwarf , xpsychovampx , zachi , Florg , KillDatBUG , sonnet666 , Didgeridooda , Mortiferus_Rosa , snackeater , Riku580|
|Want (20)||flipdipple , Blahfoot96651 , buildingadeck , Dk1997 , PTsmitty , xafeara , ACCG , bhomer7 , mrfab13 , Pxbozzx2 , brismol , TheFanatic , Warlock570 , 1337_Nerd , impropriety , kovellen , scynett , Nemesis , Blue_Otaku_No.1 , roflcopter68|
Chromatic Star Discussion
21 hours ago
i really don't think the tron lands are gonna get the hondens out any quicker than just normal ramp. at best, you're 5cmc honden's are a turn 3 play IF you still have a Chromatic Star/Chromatic Sphere in play. and if you're only running 1 sphere, your chances of that are greatly reduced. so you're basically looking at not really playing anything impactful until turn 4. and at 1 Honden per turn from turn 4 onward, with no interaction, your opponent will just murder you.
3 days ago
Looks like you better get a Mox Amber for this deck now! I will also suggest you add in Chromatic Sphere and Chromatic Star since they can be used to get you an additional draw and filter mana if you really need it, they definitely have more utility than the other 1 cmc cards you have here. Helm of Awakening is 2 cmc but it's the cheapest colorless cost reduction card that will make all of your 1 cmc cards cost 0, which is totally worth it.
3 weeks ago
I'd argue for the last Krark-Clan Ironworks, 4x Mox Opal and an additional copy of Myr Retriever and Scrap Trawler as they greatly push the infinite and ramp hard, as well as a full set of Chromatic Star, Terrarion, and get the last two Ichor Wellsprings. Two Open the Vaults and some amount of Reshapes, Whir of Inventions, and Thoughtcasts will finish it off. You can drop the Pia's Revolutions, Memnites, Ornithopters, and Disciple of the Vaults, maybe drop some Chromatic Spheres.
4 weeks ago
- Shadowblood Egg offers the perfect replacement to play Grenzo, Dungeon Warden (BR).
- I usually only get 1-2 uses of Springleaf Drum per game and when its a one-use card all it generally does is offer replacement--colorless to black or red.
- Just like Chromatic Star and Chromatic Sphere, Shadowblood Egg offers an additional path when building a Doomsday pile--put Dark Ritual or Lion's Eye Diamond on top of the pile and use it to draw a card.
- Shadowblood Egg offers the chance to draw a card after tutoring with Imperial Seal or Vampiric Tutor
The best overall scenario I can think of for Shadowblood Egg would be something like this:
- 5 mana available but, 7 needed (BBB + 2 colorless available but, BBBB + R + 2 needed)
- Use BBB to cast Doomsday
- Place Dark Ritual or Lion's Eye Diamond as the top card
- Use Shadowblood Egg (which is already in play) to draw a card and filter the 2 colorless mana to BR
- Cast Dark Ritual or crack Lion's Eye Diamond for 3 mana
- Cast Grenzo, Dungeon Warden
- 2-3 mana left to combo out
Also, I have been using Mox Amber over Jeweled Amulet and I have to say I am pleased with the results. I get to use my Mox Amber every game I cast it whereas, with Jeweled Amulet I only actually use it about 50% of the time when I draw it because it depends on me having extra mana to charge it. With regard to Grim Monolith, I have been running it as well and I typically use it to combo out or as ramp I can use with other cards that allow me to filter mana like the rituals and the priests/apprentice. The extra ramp from it has been nothing short of excellent especially when pulling it after casting Ad Nauseam.
1 month ago
While the cycling of Sweltering Suns can definitely be useful this deck already draws a ton of cards with Chromatic Sphere and Chromatic Star. Firespout is in this deck to deal with aggro decks which means you want to be able to cast it when you draw it, which is the downside of the double red in the Sweltering Suns mana cost.
1 month ago
Maybe cut Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain for cantrip artifacts like Chromatic Star and Chromatic Sphere and a playset of Ancient Stirrings? They just don't seem fast enough and are the most color-intensive cards in the deck. Pia Nalaar doesn't seem like it would be better than 4 copies of Sai, Master Thopterist either since you're trying to swarm. Walking Ballista as maybe a 2-of seems powerful as a way of interacting with creatures since you have none otherwise, and maybe even a copy of Emrakul, the Aeons Torn as an instant-ish win condition. This is similar to the more eggs-style KCI decks but isn't focused on the graveyard at all which can be a good way to try and trick the opponent into sideboarding Rest in Peace and Leyline of the Void which won't hurt you at all. On that note, you could add Scrap Trawler and play into the regular KCI gameplan a little more without needing to use Pyrite Spellbomb over and over to win. For the sideboard, I would say counterspells like Metallic Rebuke and Dispel would be a priority, maybe The Antiquities War against slower decks, Ghirapur AEther Grid would help against other creature decks, as well as point removal like Galvanic Blast or Dispatch. Tempered Steel could be sweet but maybe too gimmicky and difficult to play. Graveyard hate like Rest in Peace and Relic of Progenitus would be fine if you don't add the graveyard angle in at all. Basically, all of the sideboard options that other artifact decks use are open to this one! Overall, I think building in a real, solid turn-you-play-it win condition like Emrakul, the Aeons Torn is the first thing to do since this deck looks like it's just planning on swarming with thopters, which is a solid plan and it can go infinite with multiple Myr Retrievers on the board and a Krark-Clan Ironworks, but without backup could fall short with the amount of board wipes in modern that can kill everything in the deck before you can actually attack. Good luck, I'm currently turning my Affinity deck into something similar to this and got a few ideas from your list!
1 month ago
I have a few questions,
2) What is the major advantage to using Jeweled Amulet instead of another 0 CMC artifact like Mox Amber? At best, Jeweled Amulet can be used every other turn and only offers replacement/filter/storage of a single mana. Mox Amber can be used as soon as Grenzo, Dungeon Warden is in play.
3) If using Plunge into Darkness as a quasi tutor, why not substitute it for Cruel Tutor? Cruel Tutor is sorcery speed so that is a small disadvantage and it has the drawback of placing the card on the top of the library but, that can be played around with Chromatic Sphere, Chromatic Star, Sensei's Divining Top, Scroll Rack and Necropotence.
1 month ago
Thoughtcast + Broodstar + Myr Superion + Sword of the Meek + Time Sieve + Ashnod's Altar + Thopter Foundry + Possibly Skullclamp + stuff like Chromatic Star + Prophetic Prism will help draw and help get over the land barrier + any tezzeret planeswalker pretty much. Maybe Dack Fayden + Chandra, Torch of Defiance.