Enchantment — Aura
At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice a creature.
Enchanted creature gets +3/+3 and has trample.
Enchanted creature is a Demon Spirit.
Printings View all
|Duel Decks Anthology (DD3)||Uncommon|
|Duel Decks: Divine vs. Demonic (DDC)||Uncommon|
|Champions of Kamigawa (CHK)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Oni Possession Discussion
2 years ago
(I would add a proper community card but that feature seems to be malfunctioning right now.)
Farly straightforward, this card would mostly be Zedruu the Greathearted (although a different character, not simply her gone evil or something) with a casting cost of and an activation cost of . In EDH, this could lead to some fun usage of cards like the following:
(I realize you can basically already do this with any Grixis commander + e.g. Bazaar Trader, but that's a bit less straightforward.)
Wall of cards Show
I'm unsure what would be suitable for its upkeep ability. Just copying Zedruu's straight off isn't too inappropriate, as drawing is certainly associated with black and life gain isn't too far out either, but that's kinda boring. Replacing the life gain with something negative towards opponents like milling, discard or plain life loss proportional to the amount of gifted permanent could be one option that's more in line with the color change (thought the negative effects would probably targeted in order to preserve some political potential). Putting a +1/+1 counter per gift on Zedruu the Grixishearted to take advantage of commander damage could also work (especially when combined with auras like Herald of Torment), in which case you could also change power/toughness from the original's 2/4 to 4/2 to signal greater aggression.
For the sake of flavor its subtype would be Horse Djinn, with the artwork depicting a djinn with a mare's head, wearing a mouth-covering veil.
Feedback would be welcome, especially on ways to make Grixis!Zedruu more distinct from the original while still fulfilling the basic function of giving out torturous black cards, in addition to the blue and red ones they both share.
(A version containing green could also be made for the sake of giving that color a chance to show off its painful cards, in which case the creature in question should probably have monkey paws.)
3 years ago
Hey there. Prepare for a wall of text, as I think you're on to something here but could benefit a lot from some additional information.
As I have been building and playing with a Demon deck for a few years now, and my group is transitioning from casual Legacy to Modern, I have a ton of suggestions, but I will try to keep them moderately priced, assuming you are operating on a budget.
The main reason that Demons aren't played by a wide array of people is that they cannot efficiently operate without mana acceleration. Your idea is to go the sacrificing route, but in its current form that is quite inconsistent, as there aren't many demons that you can push out quickly.
I see two main avenues you could go in order to push out Demons fairly quickly and with more consistency, and without having to play weak-ass creatures (That's not the point of a demon deck after all). Outside of Modern it would be considerably easier, but lets go the Modern route.
Route 1: Mana acceleration
The problem in modern is, that most mana acceleration engines are banned. Currently you don't have too many choices in this department and they rely on creature spells, which are prone to removal.
- Crypt Ghast Pretty good card, can let you push out any and all Demons in Turn 5, including Reiver Demon
- Nirkana Revenant 6 Mana is quite a lot, just to boost your actual mana-generation. Not recommended.
- Korlash, Heir to Blackblade Probably your best bet, as it can be incredibly powerful but likely not in your budget.
- Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx Again, probably not in your budget.
Route 2: Creature cost decrease
- Heartless Summoning Let this one sink in. It can be incredibly powerful and allow you to drop bombs as early as turn 5 and with consistency. If you rely solely on demons and other big stompers, the -1/-1 won't bother you in the slightest.
Specific card critique
- If you play Demons (which don't need any powerup) and plan to sacrifice your smaller creatures (they would die inevitably, the powerup would be wasted), there is no reason to play Unholy Strength.
- Tendrils of Corruption is probably better here than Consume Spirit
- It depends on the circumstance, but to keep you alive Tribute to Hunger can be better than Dark Banishing
- Larceny is just bad, unless multiples of your Imps survive until round 5, which is not a given.
- Oni Possession You might be trading three cards for one removal spell here. First, you sacrifice a creature, then you enchant your own. If the enemy casts a simple removal spell, you lost three cards, for +3/+3 and 3 mana.
Now, for the good part! More Demons, more powerful cards, a better mana curve and a stronger competitive focus!
- Desecration Demon Arguably the best Demon for a budget. He was even features in the duel deck, albeit a different one. And you really need more cards in the 4-mana Slot. With Heartless Summoning it can be played for 2, is a 5/5 flier and let's your opponents sacrifice creatures!
- Mutilate Boardsweeper, in case you end up being dominated before you can get out your fatties. As a bonus, if played early, your fatties will survive.
- Bloodgift Demon A 5-mana flying, demonized Phyrexian Arena. A total bomb.
- Read the Bones or Night's Whisper or Ambition's Cost Card Draw for a budget.
- Whip of Erebos Can be ridiculously overpowered in this deck.
- Lightning Greaves Haste and protection for 2 mana. Probably worth the investment, as it can be a powerhouse in most decks.
3 years ago
You should find room for some things like Oni Possession or maybe even artifacts that give your dude trample for the simple fact that if you're constantly making your dude indestructible the only thing you'll have to worry about is something like Swords to Plowshares with that being said your guy could get very big very fast and it would a shame if you're constantly getting chump blocked