|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Rivals of Ixalan (RIX)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Moment of Craving
Target creature gets -2/-2 until end of turn. You gain 2 life.
Moment of Craving Discussion
18 hours ago
Here's some cards to think about Opt , Discovery / Dispersal , Vraska's Contempt (from side to main), Price of Fame , Moment of Craving , Nightveil Sprite , and a couple of spicy ones (This one for sideboard if it gets more artifacts) Phylactery Lich and Etrata, the Silencer . I personally don't like any of your enchantments but if they are doing good stuff for you then don't let silly ole me take your wins away. Happy hunting.
2 days ago
I'd assume that the deck is meant for the best of 3 ladder since you have a sideboard. I don't like my record against aggro lists either so I run 4 Fountain of Renewal and 4 Dawn of Hope right in the main deck instead of the usual Chemister's Insight and other forms of draw. You can also replace Vicious Offering with Moment of Craving since this one offers lifegain and you don't have a creature to sack to the first one anyway.
Hope this suggestion helps, cheers :)
1 week ago
1 week ago
I like this deck alot, so kudos for that. I think however you should try to find room for 3 or maybe even 4 Moment of Craving . It would very help you alot against aggresive decks like mono-red, white weenie and the alike, and gives you something to do the earlier turns, apart from dropping Treasure Maps.
As for what to cut I would probably cut some kind of combination of the following
Settle the Wreckage
(maybe move 1 to the sideboard).
With some earlier removal, you could survive with one less boardwipe. Anyhow good work, I might try something similiar =)
1 week ago
Hey ! I've been playing mono-red for some month now and here are my thoughs :
- Deck is looking nice right now, if you want to go at an fnm and get some wins, this deck can do it. Casually, it seems pretty strong tho.
- I like Frenzy in the mainboard more than Risk Factor because it can solo win / steal game one. Thrashing Brontodon , Mortify , Vivien Reid etc are all a pretty hard counter play but Frenzy is still worth it. Game two you switch it out for Risk Factor while your opponent get some enchantment removal into it's mainboard. I played many games against esper control/jund midrange but not that many against sultai and I think it is the best solution I found.
- I splitted my drop 3 as 2 Chainyboi and 2 Legion Warboss ( the remaining copies of them are in sideboard ). The Warboss did so much work against any kind of control/late ( dimir, esper ) deck that doesn't instantly remove him while Chainyboi is "just" a 3/3. Not switching to 4 Warboss because Chainyboi is still dumb strong against mono white and any creature deck ( and it proc spectacle as etb ).
- I removed Runaway Steam-Kin from the deck. It is way too greedy and not that strong in the end. It is strong, but a turn two 1/1 that will prolly die before your next turn ( Cast Down , Moment of Craving , everything ) is meh.
- I don't know about Fanatical Firebrand . I find it really weak but the deck needs some turn 1. I removed it from mine but I can't say it's 100% the right thing.
I hope it will help you and if you have anything to say about this, I will be glad to discuss ! Enjoy mono red !
3 weeks ago
BlackDeegs, thank you for your thoughts on the deck! The Creeping Chill were added as a knee-jerk reaction to getting roasted by burn at a recent FNM and thinking, "I use some self-mill cards, why not try... this?" But I see your point and value your advice, so thanks for bringing an objective eye to the deck list. (I went with Moment of Craving in the side board instead.)
As for Graveyard Marshal , I just have to keep 4, I'm sorry lol. After playing the deck a bunch, I just know the value is there. But I did add the Cabal Stronghold because I think you're right and it will outshine the Memorial to Folly in the long run.
Thanks again, let me know what you think of the changes.
1 month ago
brainpolice I tried the exact same shell you have for the better part of almost one full month. It just was not as competitive as it should have been given the meta. Gas is what you hit the nail on the head about, and unfortunately Priest of the Forgotten Gods just didn’t get enough power from Gutterbones as I wanted. Midnight Reaper was slow, and only triggered off of cards, not tokens so it was lethal. Fireblade Artist is good, but in this shell it makes the manabase pretty messed up. In the prior deck I ran Fireblade, and Pitiless Pontiff , and Footlight Fiend and it just didn’t get me there fast enough. The “nuts” to this deck are simple in all it’s forms: hit Heroic Reinforcements with Hero of Precinct One HARD and swing out for dozens of damage. Judith or Benalish Marshal on the board basically means that you win. It was the best part of the Mardu Humans/Aristocrats deck. So, you just focus on that. Hard, fast, Hyperaggressive damage is what you need. Pontiff was going down and down in value the more Carnage Tyrant didn’t show up. In the meta he’s leaving it thanks to Hydroid Krasis . Elenda, the Dusk Rose eats a Moment of Craving or Shock or just any counter period it made my head spin. Sadly, Teysa Karlov didn’t work either. My previous build also included Seraph of the Scales and all the rest of the Afterlife triggers didn’t ever go off in twos. She was quite often removed and it was far, far, far, too late in the game for her to work out properly. I basically know now for certain she’s a Commander card, and that’s about all. You will not live long enough in the current meta, nor will your board thanks to Kaya's Wrath and Settle the Wreckage to pull out the Elenda+Teysa+Afterlife combo. Cry of the Carnarium basically fucks you over in that case too. So, my battle plan now is to just go hyper fast, and don’t let my opponent get me down with that by buffing my board and hitting them so fast their heads fly off. It’s the only chance I have got to be really competitive.
1 month ago
Moment of Craving is a good card but for its cost compared to what else I have, especially Cry of the Carnarium which is very similar but "targets" (not really) every creature with the -2/-2 AND exiles them whereas Moment only targets one but does gain me life, but I would be running Vraska's Contempt which also gains life. I'll take out Moment.
I figured a second look on the deck would yield results and they have been very helpful so far so thank you!
Moment of Craving occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.34%