|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Guilds of Ravnica (GRN)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Target creature gets +1/+1 and gains flying until end of turn.
Jump-start (You may cast this card from your graveyard by discarding a card in addition to paying its other costs. Then exile this card.)
Maximize Altitude Discussion
1 month ago
Thanks for the advice, Poaralion! I made some edits based on those suggestions, I had been considering Wee Dragonauts over Aven Wind Mage and you've convinced me. And I think you're right, Howling Golem isn't as good as just having more copies of spells that win me the game.
I struggled to find any cards I'd be willing to drop for Maximize Altitude, but I swapped 2 Shock for 2 Maximize Velocity, because they essentially pump the Enigma Drake for +2/+2 and haste them for 1 so I'm definitely into that!
Please let me know if you have any other suggestions!
1 month ago
I would suggest those thing :
- Pump the numer of Adeliz, the Cinder Wind to 4, or at least 3. This is a beast and destroy the opponent if it stick on the board one turn.
- Howling Golem is meh imo. It could be replaced by Ghitu Journeymage as another 3 drop and dealing 2 to the face.
- Could swap Watertrap Weaver for Exclusion Mage. They are similar but can have a huge difference depending on your local meta.
- Could swap Aven Wind Mage with Wee Dragonauts. Both wizard, both 3 drop, but one say "ez gg win" when you cast 4 instant a turn.
- Get some Maximize Velocity / Maximize Altitude ? Easy trigger for Adeliz and allow you to get in easily.
- More suggestion Negate / Quasiduplicate / Radical Idea ..
All of those should still be budget friendly I think. Also it's just my point of view, you're 100% free to disagree. Good luck with the deck !
3 months ago
I don't think Ral is good enough. You don't have enough creature to keep him safe so at best it will activate his abilities once or twice. ( and they are not gamebreaker in your deck imo )
Guttersnipe can get in some huge swing thanks to all the low ccm instant/sorcery.
Rekindling Phoenix is a nice threat to run and is a great target to the Beamsplitter instant/sorcery copies.
You could also use a bit more card draw from blue to fill your graveyard without loosing gas in your hand. That will fuel both the drake so they will quickly be big. But it's not a focus on the Beamsplitter anymore.
3 months ago
How about something like Maximize Altitude or Maximize Velocity? They are cheap spells that work perfectly with Beamsplitter Mage, and the fact they can be jump-started (recast) at such low costs can make for a huge buff/attack for relatively low mana investment.
3 months ago
suggest Guttersnipe and/or Electrostatic Field as an alternative to the electromancer. I have been testing this on Arena and if I mull to the right hand, it's turn 4 exactsies (unless you swing with Adeliz on t3, then it's overkill by -2). Even without the Ghitu Lavarunner.
Turn 1, Izzet Guildgate. Turn 2, Beamsplitter Mage + Mountain . Turn 3 Guttersnipe + Island , and then turn 4 Mountain then Maximize Altitude (targeting BSMage), Jumpstart Altitude, Sure Strike for lethal. That's 3 spells cast (jumpstart triggers Guttersnipe), so 6 damage off triggers, then double altitude makes each creature 4/4, then sure strike makes them 7/4. It's so elegant.
You can get 20dmg the same way with adeliz, because each inst/sorc with adeliz creates 2 extra combat damage (if you have Adeliz and BSMage). With my list, longer games can be tougher, but overall it's a winning list. I'm trying yours today (with Sinister Sabotage + Wizard's Lightning because I don't have any Ionize. Spell Pierce or Negate might also be options, because the counters really just protect our attackers from Seal Away or Settle the Wreckage. In those games, though, guttersnipe helps in the long run, especially against Turbo Fog!
4 months ago
- I think the package of Beamsplitter Mage, Maximize Altitude, and Maximize Velocity is a trap. Yes, it's super nice when you get to duplicate one of the Maximize spells, but that's only going to be the times when you have Beamsplitter. Yes, it's even better when they give the creatures +2/+2, but that's only going to happen when you have Beamsplitter AND Adeliz, the Cinder Wind (which is only going to be T4 at the earliest). Additionally, the drag about these is that they are sorcery speed, which means you have to telegraph what you're doing, and just about the only card in your deck worth pitching for their jump start is going to be a land... I'd replace all 12 of those with other options (a wizard of your choosing and 8 instants/sorceries would be my first instinct).
Other wizards to consider:
Maximize Altitude occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.04%