|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Guilds of Ravnica (GRN)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Target creatures gets +1/+1 and gains haste until end of turn.
Maximize Velocity Discussion
3 weeks ago
On Lands: IMO, 19 lands is totally fine in a RG build. With an Ave CMC of 2.05 (assuming Ghor-Clan Rampager and Collision / Colossus are 2-drops), we only need 22 Lands. But Attune with Aether counts as a land as long as we also have at least 14x untapped G sources (so we can cast Attune on Turn 1) and are not playing an opponent with enough counterspells in hand to counter our Attune. I played 20 lands back in Standard, so didn't even think about it when I ported the deck over. But I'm going to take a hard look at 19, and maybe even 18. So thanks!
On Maximize Velocity : Your comment about Questing Beast over on my deck made me think about how very good Haste effects are against Planeswalkers; I think I should probably take a relook at Velocity. Thanks here, too!
On Simic and Temur: Not sure about Simic, as Red has soooo many good Pump effects (plus Haste of course). But Temur seems quite decent, for Oko, Thief of Crowns (especially if it's banned in Standard and the price plummets) and probably Slip Through Space . I've always been amazed at how easy it is to splash colors in the deck (due to Aether Hub and Attune with Aether ). I have yet to do any serious testing with it, but over at Temur Pummeler (Pioneer), I'm starting with 4x Aether Hub , 3x Breeding Pool (pricy, but still less than Mana Confluence , 3x Stomping Ground , 5x Forest/2x Island/3x Mountain, and 0x Servant of the Conduit .
Good luck (and good skill) at your tournament Wednesday!!!
3 weeks ago
Thanks for the suggestions clayperce. I haven't had a chance to play the deck, but I plan on hitting up a Pioneer event at my LGS this Wednesday.
- I 100% understand your pain with Rootbound Crag . I may consider dropping it as you did before I play on Wednesday. I'm playing a little riskier at 19 lands, but I'm hoping the Servant of the Conduit will help accelerate me.
- Maximize Velocity is there primarily for the haste. I just looked up some other similar 1-CMC options to give our buddy haste: Cartouche of Zeal (or it's clone, Hammerhand , Claim the Firstborn , Expedite , Fervent Strike , Messenger's Speed , and Samut's Sprint . I'll have to see how the format lines up with removal to re-evaluate if I need the hastiness. I am considering swapping in 1x Rhonas the Indomitable for 1x Maximize Velocity .
- I would have several Veil of Summer in the sideboard if I had them. Instead, I've added Heroic Intervention ($$, but I already own a playset) and Ranger's Guile , the poor sibling of Blossoming Defense for more spot-defense.
I'll let you know how the sideboard works out on Wednesday. Aethersphere Harvester is there to out-gun any burn-based decks. Rhythm of the Wild might also be a good option for me to replace the second Maximize Velocity in the main deck.
FYI, I will probably brew a UG version to see if those colors still hold some opportunities, maybe even bring in back to Temur. But with the price of Mana Confluence , the mana base may struggle to fit the requirements.
3 weeks ago
So cool to see a Pioneer update on your deck; would +1 again if I could!
My latest is over at Pioneer Pummeler ... it's very similar (as you might expect), but with a few changes:
- I had to play 3x Rootbound Crag in a row one game, and decided I officially hate the card. Seriously, I'd rather just run Basics :-)
- Maximize Velocity seemed good but not great. The pump was often just not quite enough, and I often was just 1 mana too short for the Haste effect. You may be better off though, considering you're running Servant of the Conduit .
- Veil of Summer is perhaps my new Favorite Sideboard Tech :-)
I had totally forgotten about Aethersphere Harvester ; thanks for reminding me! How's it working for you?
Similarly, I've been thinking about Rhythm of the Wild but haven't gotten around to testing it yet. How's it doing?
6 months ago
I would personally go grull and run cards like Collision / Colossus and other pump. you could also run Dreadhorde Arcanist as another target of your pump spells. I would also not underestimate Maximize Velocity giving either creature a little pump and haste is great.
You could go both (Naya: green/red/white, Bant is white/green/blue) but you would need a lot of rare lands ect to get it to be reliable. However, some cards could be very good Integrity / Intervention would be great
7 months ago
[ [ card: CARDNAME ] ] is how you link to card images.
I know Recklesss Rage doesn't kill the Arcanist, not saying you should cut it entirely, but I think you might find yourself in a spot sometimes, where you don't have a creature and need to kill something. Like when the opponent just hit Arcanist with Lightning Strike and you need to kill their Goblin Chainwhirler or Runaway Steam-Kin or else you lose.
By the way, does Feather's ability return Maximize Velocity back to your hand, if you cast it from your graveyard with Jump-Start? Might be worth playing as a 1-off to give Feather haste. Perhaps in the sideboard for control matchups?
8 months ago
thanks for the suggestion, but what would you replace? im kinda in the same spot with Maximize Velocity
8 months ago
Giving a look at Jump-Start again. I'm disappointed how little of it is really usable. I really wanted this to be an interesting discard blend, but it seems to just run into mechanical malarkey. I will find a way though...and it might be Maximize Velocity .
Beacon Bolt on inspection, also seems a lot better now then when I first looked at it.
9 months ago
I like this a lot. Similar in a way to my deck Modern Ramunap Red Hollow One. Have you played around with Maximize Velocity ? Unfortunate that Arclight Phoenix is so expensive right now. Ricochet Trap could work in the sideboard against blue control.
Maximize Velocity occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.07%