Nath of the Gilt-Leaf
Legendary Creature — Elf Warrior
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may have target opponent discard a card at random.
Whenever an opponent discards a card, you may create a 1/1 green Elf Warrior creature token.
|Have (2)||bjohnburke , thirdwhirly|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Recommendations View more recommendations
Latest Decks as Commander
Nath of the Gilt-Leaf Discussion
1 month ago
Hey, well done with your casual version of Lathril.
Consider one drop mana Elves especially Elves of Deep Shadow ? Shadow can make black mana to cast Lathril. These Elves give a big advantage for the tribe with ramp and when they aren't being used for ramp use them to get counters faster on Quest, with Lathril's tap ability or just have more Elves for Priest/Archduid, etc.
Llanowar Wastes , Unclaimed Territory , Necroblossom Snarl , Temple of Malady , Tainted Wood are some budget land upgrades. These could replace Swamps, Shimmerdrift Vale , Jungle Hollow and The World Tree . Undergrowth Stadium , Overgrown Tomb , Twilight Mire , Gilt-Leaf Palace , Woodland Cemetery and Wirewood Lodge are some expensive price land upgrades.
Good luck with your deck.
2 months ago
Good point Tzefick, I’m all for making Vexxus a Zombie Knight Wizard. It’s a shame that Mtg.design doesn’t let me modify the size of the text in the card type box, or I’d change it.
And there are definitely several angles one could take when deck building with Vexxus, either as commander or as backup for Nekusar, Nath of the Gilt-Leaf , Tergrid, God of Fright Flip, or another discard-oriented commander. It would be lots of fun to use Vexxus in a build which punishes my opponents for drawing cards, while also using discard effects to amass a horde of zombie tokens.
5 months ago
I think you should go Nath of the Gilt-Leaf with staxs just like Tinybones, Trinket Thief I think he is better in the 99 of Nath than he is as a commander. Getting the discard and creating tokens since you are getting only a 1/1 elf no one going to think munch initially until you start locking them out.
Then you use more mana dorks and land ramp over artifact.
I mean there are lots of option depending on power level of the group and budget.
That is my suggestion as a commander to slide her into
6 months ago
In my humble opinion, Kaldheim is looking like an amazing set. We haven't gotten any broken things, but they all look fun. Let's go over some of the future commanders of our hearts! I'm skipping over commanders that use fortell, as we don't have many cards for them. Oh, and the cards that don't interest me. My post, my rules!
- Magda, Brazen Outlaw: The dwarf commander we've all been waiting for! Dwarven Recruiter is finally good, and you can add in some spicy treasure/dragon synergies, too! I-I think we did it guys. We broke Dockside Extortionist. Oh, and Hellkite Tyrant is a must.
- Halvar, God of Battle Flip: While pretty good in Voltron decks, he makes for the first artifact commander we've ever had, and I know my Inner Johnny is tickled at that fact. The Equipment side is also super cool, with being able to pay 4 mana to resuscitate one of your creatures. With some Phyrexian Altar + Ashnod's Altar janks, we can make a fun mono-white combo deck! Oh, and Batterskull says hi.
- Lathril, Blade of the Elves: I'm really psyched for this general. She looks like a way to make Golgari Elfball more viable, has a crazy, but not broken, activated ability, and is one of the only generals to make a usually too-competitive strategy fit for more casual tables. She has synergy up the wazoo with cards like Immaculate Magistrate and Timberwatch Elf. Oh, and one card that should be in every one of her decks, but is in zero so far, is Elder of Laurels. This card = broken in this deck, often turning your Lathril, Blade of the Elves into a four-digit power commander. Run it!
- Vorinclex, Monstrous Raider: Finally, Superfriends has some support! But seriously, this is just another Doubling Season with an upside on a stick for Atraxa, Praetors' Voice. If you want to be cruel and run this bad boy as a commander, stax/superfriends seems the way to go. Say hello to Smokestack!
- Toski, Bearer of Secrets: And people said Green couldn't draw cards! Why did they have to print another Edric, Spymaster of Trest? This card is also an indestructible blocker with cards like Seedborn Muse and Quest for Renewal. Oh, and it can't be countered. Why? Because green.
- Valki, God of Lies Flip: This card is super fun. It's like a Lazav, the Multifarious but you get to use your opponent's creatures. But where this 'lil trickster god really shines is in the 99. But more specifically, in the 99 of The First Sliver. See, you can cascade into Valki, God of Lies Flip, but instead of casting the small side, you can just windmill-slam Tibalt, Cosmic Impostor on Turn 4. Fun!
- Sarulf, Realm Eater: Golgari Control is a thing, I guess? Stack your deck like card:Skullbrair, the Walking Grave does, but instead of going for the voltron combos, instead, you wipe your opponent's board every turn. Evolutionary Escalation is a must. Who cares about an 8/8 on your opponent's side when it's dead?
- Kolvori, God of Kinship Flip: Man, Sisay, Weatherlight Captain sure got a lot of new goodies in this set! This card is unfortunately not great as a commander. If I'm playing mono-green legends, I'd rather play Reki, the History of Kamigawa.
- Tergrid, God of Fright Flip: I love this card. There. I've said it. I'm done. This goes in so many different decks: Nekusar, the Mindrazer, Tinybones, Trinket Thief, Malfegor, Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest, Nath of the Gilt-Leaf, the list goes on and on! As a commander, she's kill-on-sigh. A single Smallpox just wins you the game.
- Vega, the Watcher: I'll say it: This is probably the most powerful uncommon commander ever printed. This triggers off of so many things: Elsha of the Infinite, Flahsback, Cascade, Retrace, Future Sight, Suspend, Adventure, Foretell, Impulse Draw, etc. Need I say more?
6 months ago
I've been trying to find the right balance in my Lathril build as well.
Cards I think are cuttable here: Just Beaters - You are looking to flood the board with elves and pump up Lathril to make more elves. Traditional beater type creatures don't do much for you here so you can probably lose cards like Heedless One , Abomination of Llanowar and Elvish Vanguard . These cards don't do anything for you other than get big and swing which is counter productive to you strat.
Big Mana Producers - You want to flood the board early and elves in general don't have high CMC so you can probably lose some of the higher cmc mana dorks like Wirewood Channeler , Selvala, Heart of the Wilds , Joraga Treespeaker and Incubation Druid .
Other - Unless you plan on a lifegain subtheme you can cut Nissa Revane . I can't run Coat of Arms in my group because there are a lot of other tribal decks that also benefit from it. Higher mana elves like Eyeblight Cullers and Exquisite Huntmaster and Nath of the Gilt-Leaf are all cards I would consider cutting to bring down the average CMC.
Obviously just my opinions, I don't know if you have pet cards or what your plaugroup looks like just thought I could share my line of thinking!
6 months ago
9 months ago
Be careful building these kinds of decks though. Depending on your playgroup, discard decks can be pretty poorly received. They fall squarely into "Anti-Fun Deck" territory. It depends on how heavily you lean into the discard theme. It's possible to make them not be super oppressive, but their inherent mechanic lends itself to preventing other players from playing Magic, which is antithetical to the spirit of EDH. Your playgroup may be fine with it, so YMMV.
1 year ago
Hey. Cool deck. While I'm not used to seeing this version of Rhys be used as a commander, I'm glad I took a look.
A couple elves I would recommend for this deck are Copperhorn Scout and Joraga Warcaller. The warcaller works well with your strategy & will make your elves less susceptible to dying to combat damage. The mana elves you run can make his multikicker get pretty high. The Copperhorn Scout can give you more mana to use on your second main phase or give you double the life from Wellwisher each turn.
A non-elf I would recommend for this deck would be Elvish Guidance. Essentially makes the land a Gaea's Cradle for your deck without the price tag. Speaking of which, Growing Rites of Itlimoc Flip as well as Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx would go a long way to helping those X-spells in your deck.
Not sure what I would recommend to cut to make room for all of these, but I will say I'm not sure how effective your discard strategy is. I get denying cards can be powerful, but I feel it splits focus from the deck. So I would recommend cutting Nath of the Gilt-Leaf and Mind Slash.
Oh! Just thought of a couple more elves. Elvish Visionary (draw 1) and Generous Patron (draw 2 when you resolve its support on opponents' creatures) can give you some added draw for your deck while also giving you an elf in play to add to your elf count.
All right. I think that's all I have right now. Again, love the deck list and apologies for not offering more options to cut. Anyway, +1 from me for sure.