Creature — Wolf
Whenever an opponent casts a blue or black spell during your turn, put a +1/+1 counter on Witchstalker.
|Want (2)||Napuc , BeowulfBjornson|
Printings View all
|Magic 2014 (M14)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
3 days ago
Suggestions: Buffing green, ramp payoffs, some boardwipes and tokens. -Nylea's Forerunner, +Polukranos, World Eater // -Renata, Called to the Hunt, +Witchstalker // -Tishana's Wayfinder, +Prowling Serpopard // -Vigorspore Wurm, +Gaea's Revenge // -Vorstclaw, +Genesis Hydra // -Hurricane, +Elvish Mystic // -Khalni Heart Expedition, +Utopia Sprawl // -Aerial Assault, +Banishing Light // -Wild Griffin, +Cleansing Nova // -Light of the Legion, +Raise the Alarm // -Cloud Crusader, +Midnight Haunting // -Frilled Mystic, +Hydroid Krasis // -Conclave Cavalier, +Camaraderie // -Sumala Woodshaper, +March of the Multitudes // -Worldsoul Colossus, +Selesnya Charm // -Samut's Sprint, +Sweltering Suns // Lockets out, signets in.
3 months ago
-I'm not sure that this is a
Once Upon a Time
deck. It only hits 10 "important" things and if you already have a bogle in play it's pretty much useless and a waste of mana. Maybe keeping 1 for some insurance is fine but I don't think that card is meant for this deck.
-I'm not totally sold on Gift of Orzhova . It's just a slightly worse version of Unflinching Courage and gums up your curve by being so high cmc. I would just go the full 4 Unflinching courage and replace the remaining two Gifts with some lower cmc auras (maybe Gryff's Boon if you're worried about having flying? And to provide early evasion).
- Hero of Iroas seems really strong for racing non-interactive linear/combo decks and reducing your somewhat high aura curve, but obviously isn't great for other more interactive matchups since it doesn't have hexproof.
-I would most definitely play Veil of Summer in the sideboard, that card is just far too powerful to not play and protects you against Thoughtseize and your opponent blowing up your key auras.
-And finally I don't think you're winning the game if you have to play Witchstalker on 3. Waiting to attack until turn 4 is too long in this format even if they do ban the more degenerate stuff like copy cat and Kethis combo.
Upvoted. Creative and budget-friendly. Good luck hope you have fun in the new format! :)
3 months ago
Scavenging Ooze is a very matchup-dependent card, and I've mostly got two in the mainboard because I'm unsure of what the meta will end up balancing out as. My initial worry is that we'll see both a lot of aggro (as every new format seems to bring) and a lot of graveyard strategies based around the SOI block cards, both of which scooze is a wonderful card against. If we end up with a score of midrange or control strategies, it definitely gets much worse, and I'll probably swap it out in the mainboard with Prowling Serpopard . As for Veil of Summer , I had it in here at first, but took it out when I considered what MangaVentFreak13 said up above: CoCo wants you to play very few non-creatures, which pushed me towards relying on Prowling Serpopard and Blossoming Defense instead. If Dimir-colored decks end up being extremely oppressive here, it's definitely something I need to consider again, along with adding more serpopards and perhaps Witchstalker . Thanks for the suggestions!
6 months ago
I think you can safely go down to 38 lands with the cuts coming from the regular mountains. Replacing 2 more basics with Evolving Wilds and Terramorphic Expanse will let you do some color fixing. Any reason no inclusion for one or two lands like Gruul Guildgate ? I'm not a big fan of tapped lands either but one or two shouldn't hurt your development as much as getting color screwed will.
Fresh Meat should let you recover from the inevitable boardwipe.
For protecting your commander, cards like Ranger's Guile , Sheltering Word , Blossoming Defense , Blinding Fog and Hapatra's Mark offer some surprise value but you eat the life shielding your commander [Word is a wash]. Alpha Authority is more on-theme and is 'repeatable' protection. Archetype of Endurance [sadly not a wolf/werewolf] protects your whole team as does Domri Rade if you can get to the emblem.
8 months ago
While you are right that Gut Shot is less impactful than most of the board, it's not strictly worse than Dismember since it allows you to curve out while still having some interaction vs opponents that are playing important utility creatures like mana dorks. Can make a world of difference in certain match-ups like elves or sometimes vs affinity. I was turned on to the card by someone else (some pro player/streamer back a year or two ago). I was never a big fan of the card prior to that. But, yea, cards that allow you to still use all your mana AND curve out while still disrupting the opponent work exceptionally well in decks like stompy or little zoo, etc. The random reach is just icing.
However, I do agree with you that it's probably the least impactful (certainly least sexy) of the cards in the board I used up above. I've noticed the meta (both local and online) is quite different than when I last played a lot back in 2016-ish and I haven't been getting as much use out of the card as I once did. I actually don't have it in my paper deck atm. It is replaced by a Prey Upon , but that is only because I do not have a 3rd Dismember. A lot of this is due to how often I run into UR Phoenix and specifically Thing in the Ice Flip.
Thanks for the suggestions. I mentioned Garruk's Companion in the description. I see why some people run it in the super aggressive versions but I feel the extra health on Tusker, esp for evolving Experiment One's but also just for allowing me to attack into more creatures and working better when you have Rancor on the card just makes it a more effective creature overall. I do see why some people still like and run the card, though.
Although I have not mentioned much here, you will see that just the other day I discussed many of your points/suggestions on this deck's comments section - Lushy bushy (as well as a few other points). I also discussed some of these same points with this deck's author - Big Green Daddies.
The ones I don't mention, from Nettle Sentinel down, I believe are not impactful enough to be run in a competitive Stompy list atm. Similar cards would be Prowling Serpopard , Great Sable Stag , Witchstalker , etc. (although these are all 3-mana examples). I believe the modern green Stompy list is just too tight to include cards like that anymore, esp now that Dryad Militant is almost required and we're gonna want at least 2 (probably 3, or even 4 for some people) Collector Ouphe in the board.
Thank you for your comment!
8 months ago
These are my considerations for your removal... I don't do it often but most of them just dont do much other than offer you the hexproof ability.
Troll Ascetic : problem with regeneration is you gotta hold mana for it. Easy to forget.
Soul of the Rapids : doesn't do much for it's cost.
Sagu Mauler : I mean it's ok... but just doesn't do alot other than have abilities.
Prognostic Sphinx : I see no reason to want to discard cards for optional hexproof. Scry's nice but there are better options for card advantage.
Ascended Lawmage : Again, cost vs stats... it's just not there. One mana less would have changed my mind...
These are just what I can think of... again, with my previous changes in mind.
Heroic Intervention : and similar cards can protect you from board wipes and other spells that don't target.
Wild Growth and similar cards could be useful if moving towards more of an 'enchantress voltron' style deck.
Curiosity for extra cards, coupled with an evasive creature.
Octopus Umbra : great for the evasive creatures. Also for anything that has accrued counters, then it becomes 8/8 + counters and hopefully unblockable... maybe even Ishai.
These are the iffy ones... they could stay, or go. Up to you
Multani, Maro-Sorcerer : other players can control the stats my discarding/casting etc. Sure it could get big but its subjective. Also if we follow a voltron strategy you cant target t either.
Witchstalker : on curve, but unless it's a meta call because U/B is common... but idk.
8 months ago
If you want a cheap wolf who makes a mess, I'd run Wolfir Silverheart at the top end of things. He's much splashier than Arlinn's latest incarnation. Witchstalker is also great for being mid-sized and hard to remove: at least consider him for the sideboard against control decks!
10 months ago
- I love this commander and think you've got a great start and idea, but you need to fully commit to the fact that this deck is all about Skullbriar being huge and smashing face, or one of his friends doing it. .
- You should put in Increasing Savagery , Hardened Scales , Solidarity of Heroes , Reyhan, Last of the Abzan , Fungal Behemoth , Vastwood Hydra , Retreat to Kazandu , Predator Ooze , Blessings of Nature to push the +1/+1 theme to the max. .
- Now, 2nd problem is having big creatures without trample. I see Tuskguard Captain and you've got Rancor already, which is 100% awesome and reusable, but you should have 2 reusable trample activators, so I recommend also adding Ring of Kalonia . .
- Having big creatures attacking also is usually stopped by awkward blocks. You need slightly better cheap removal so I recommend Titanic Brawl , Ancient Animus , Abrupt Decay . .
- 3rd Problem is when they actually block and kill something because they have no other way to deal with it. Make them hate blocking by just having Mer-Ek Nightblade on your field. And then resummon stuff with Journey to Eternity Flip! .
- 4th Problem is when you're smashing for 17 trample damage a turn, but they've got some stupid elf-shaman combo or human-ally combo that gains them 20 life a turn. And now they're at 55 life. Awkward. Get a sneaky kill in instantly with Tainted Strike on one of your big trample guys, just make sure you were about to do 10+ normal damage, and surprise win. (please put Tainted Strike in, even if you ignore every other card I suggested) .
- 5th Problem is your life-total. Sometimes you just need your 12/12 to have lifelink. Best way is Loxodon Warhammer , plus it gives you another trample activator!! .
- Also for ramp you should include Incubation Druid and Rampant Growth . I'd also use hexproof enabling with Alpha Authority .
- I would definitely remove the following since they don't fit with your deck idea overall to make room: Elves of Deep Shadow (don't need), Longtusk Cub (it ain't ever gonna happen), Witchstalker (useless against a red/white/green deck), Gaze of Granite (since it kills your things too), Animation Module (its slow and you should have better things to do with your mana than make 1/1s), Cloak and Dagger (no rogues, it's slow, Alpha Authority is better), Golgari Signet should be replace with Golgari Cluestone so you can sac/draw when you don't need mana anymore. Manalith (you have an aggro curve, don't need THAT much ramp), Plague Boiler (you're not a control deck), Skullclamp (since we're taking out Animation Module , you've got enough good draw), Wayfarer's Bauble (Rampant Growth is better), Greater Good (you're aggro not a graveyard-based-conrol deck), Preferred Selection & Primitive Etchings (because again you're not control, you want to be aggro). .
- I would also cut down on the # of fancy lands that don't add b/g, and play a few more basics for fetching with your ramp cards and being able to play commander on turn 2 more likely.