|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Duel Decks: Venser vs. Koth||Common|
|2011 Core Set||Common|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Merfolk Rogue
Whenever Scroll Thief deals combat damage to a player, draw a card.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Scroll Thief Discussion
3 months ago
Sixth Sense on an opponents creature and it deals combat damage to a player who draws the card?
so at the prerelease my opponent Sixth Sense one of my creatures and then it hit him and he was saying he draws the card but wouldn't it be the controller of the creature since it read 'the creature has' then the you would be referring to the owner of the creature not the owner of the enchantment the judge ruled in favor of him but I still want to know why because I assumed it just turned a creature to have a Scroll Thief effect
6 months ago
Alrighty, this may just be personal bias talking, but I like to think that looters such as Stealer of Secrets, Scroll Thief, and Looter il-Kor are tremendously useful assets. They may not have abusable enter the battlefield triggers, but they do an excellent job of keeping your hand stocked and filtering out the useless crap. If we're talking about guys with useful ETB's, some of my personal favorites are Deputy of Acquittals and Whitemane Lion because of the built in flash, also the latter of the two can help you reuse a guy, so win-win. Here is a link to the Star City Games PDH vs episode. I think Justin Parnell's deck can give you a few more options to consider. Overall, I really like the deck and I'm curious as to how you will continue to upgrade the deck. Definite +1 from me.
8 months ago
Here are some other suggestions: Piracy Charm. The following cards are more "Thief"-themed cards but they still suit in this deck I think. Morgue Theft, Morsel Theft, Psychic Theft, Thieves' Fortune, Triton Shorethief, Thief of Blood, Scroll Thief, Rootwater Thief (this one is actually pretty sick), Notion Thief, Master Thief, Jhessian Thief, Ingenious Thief, Identity Thief, Grimoire Thief, Dream Thief, Daring Thief (since you have some bad cards, you can exchange them for better cards with an opponent), Bala Ged Thief, Aura Thief
1 year ago
Orcish Librarian! with a great illustration from Phil Foglio.
Expedition Map I mean, libraries also store maps...
And of course, Thran Tome.
1 year ago
You have a lot of weenies. This works well with unblockable but you may want to consider wipes and cards like Night of Souls' Betrayal or Elesh Norn being played early via some graveyard manipulation.
Also consider that they have blockers for your blockable creatures and removal for your unblockable ones. What is your gameplan then? If your blockable creatures aren't threatening to your opponent's creatures as well as the opponent, you may get stalled.
Consider some stronger creature options. Your low CMC is good for a faster clock, but can hinder you when the faster clock results in a slower gameplan.
- Wind Dancer Simply too slow.
- Vampire Interloper Simply awful.
- Stealer of Secrets, Scroll Thief very overcosted, not a bad effect
- Surveilling Sprite, Palace Familiar again not a bad effect on a weak body
- Owl Familiar (keep it if you want)
- Memnite I like the speed, but...
- Dimir Cutpurse
- Bearer of Silence and Shriekmaw are both removal that is overpriced. You will rarely use their other abilities, I think.
- Basilica Screecher
- Thalakos Seer
- Dauthi Horror
- Dauthi Ghoul
- Neurok Invisimancer
- Tomorrow, Azami's Familiar swap for Notion Thief (Tomorrow is better in it's own deck)
- Vault Skirge meh
- Updraft / Wind Sail / Cloak of Feathers Effects like this probably won't be very beneficial. I'd rather run removal, or a permanent, reusable source of flying (think - Equipment)
Debate keeping wrexial.
- Cranial Plating You are running a bunch of artifacts. Slap this on an unblockable creature and watch your opponents scramble for removal.
- Vapor Snag type effects (light bounce, can be used defensively)
- Doom Blade There's probably more ninja-like removal out there.
- Go for the Throat
- Distortion Strike
Ninjas sometimes have a subtheme of equipment. Just figured I'd recommend a few if you go this route.
- Mask of Riddles - Whispersilk pt.2
- Skeleton Key - Whispersilk pt.3
- Quietus Spike - I have a thing for this card (Scytheclaw too)
- Inquisitor's Flail
- Grafted Exoskeleton
- Shuriken maximum flavor
- Ronin Warclub Works incredibly well with ninjas
- Sai of the Shinobi likewise
- Worldslayer 'troll' option
- Swords of X and Y ($$$$$)
You'll want to avoid wipes since you rely on creatures a lot yourself, beyond things like Cyclonic Rift. If you find wipes to be troublesome, try something like Living Death or a mass return-to-hand-from-grave spell.
Lands to consider:
Here is an odd idea which might be appealing. Steal their creatures, attack, and ninjutsu your own in, bouncing their creature and putting yours into play.
If you want to go this way, I can suggest some big ones:
1 year ago
Mindleech Mass does some crazy stuff and hits hard. Okiba-Gang Shinobi is absolutely brutal if it gets through against most decks. Scroll Thief and other such cards that draw cards upon dealing damage are great. The more cards you see the better. Tandem Lookout does this effect as well. Thalakos Deceiver is just mean. Cyclonic Rift clears the way for all of your creatures so you can trigger all of the combat damage effects. I highly recommend Swiftfoot Boots and/or Lightning Greaves. I like to run card advantage sources that gain repeatable value like Rhystic Study, Mind's Eye, Staff of Nin, etc. Great start though! Looking at other decks on TO with the same commander will be an invaluable source of knowledge going forward with deckbuilding. You will find cards that you had no idea that they even existed that fill slots in your decks perfectly.