Ordeal of Heliod
Enchantment — Aura
Whenever enchanted creature attacks, put a +1/+1 counter on it. Then if it has three or more +1/+1 counters on it, sacrifice Ordeal of Heliod.
When you sacrifice Ordeal of Heliod, you gain 10 life.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Ordeal of Heliod Discussion
2 days ago
Rest for the Weary could be a good instant. Since your deck is a mix of counter and lifegain, Ordeal of Heliod could be a good card too. You could also change Blossoming Sands for Kabira Crossroads. You don't need the green mana and Kabira gives you 2 life instead of 1.
6 days ago
I really like the ordeal cards like Ordeal of Heliod or Ordeal of Nylea for heroic cause you get one free counter and they have great effects once you sacrifice them. Also Bear Umbra for one extra has a much better effect than Boar Umbra
1 week ago
I love cheap decks! For $8, you have an excellent little deck. Where you take it will depend A LOT on what you want to focus on. But I think that no matter what you do, Abzan Charm is almost an auto include.
If you want to do more with the +1/+1 counters theme, consider things like (in no particular order): Abzan Falconer, Hardened Scales, Travel Preparations, Common Bond, Bow of Nylea, Gavony Township, Champion of Lambholt, Fleecemane Lion, Avatar of the Resolute, Fertilid, Inspiring Call, Solidarity of Heroes, Retreat to Kazandu, Bond Beetle, Champion of the Parish, Mikaeus, the Lunarch, Hunger of the Howlpack, Slitherhead, Thrive, Warden of the First Tree, Ordeal of Heliod, Drana, Liberator of Malakir.
Abzan colors contain the Orzhov subset, so lifegain, lifedrain, and graveyard recursion are all themes worth exploring and incorporating, depending on your taste. Basilica Screecher, Tithe Drinker, Syndic of Tithes, Kingpin's Pet, Blind Obedience, Suture Priest, Blood Artist, Vampire Nighthawk, Vizkopa Guildmage, Vault of the Archangel, Drana's Emissary, Phyrexian Reclamation, Behemoth Sledge, Loxodon Warhammer, Armadillo Cloak, Chalice of Life Flip, Sun Droplet, Oversold Cemetery, Eternal Witness, Athreos, God of Passage, Font of Return. I'd recommend Glissa, the Traitor if you end up playing with enough artifacts/artifact creatures.
There are a few cards that combine multiple themes. Kitchen Finks is super annoying for opponents when combined with +1/+1 counters. Karlov of the Ghost Council can quickly lock the board in your favor you gain a lot of life and/or can otherwise put a lot of +1/+1 counters on it. Martial Coup is hilarious combined with Blood Artist and Abzan Ascendancy. Deathrite Shaman is an incredible general utility card. Scavenging Ooze is another graveyard hate card. Great control cards include Pernicious Deed, Gaze of Granite, and Abrupt Decay.
White is probably the most well-rounded color. There's lots of utility to be mined, depending on what you think you need to balance out the deck. You can never go wrong with an Oblivion Ring, Banishing Light, or Swords to Plowshares.
Have fun and good luck!
1 week ago
2 weeks ago
I think it's pretty good, but
1) It will likely be a 4/4 for 3 with no evasion
2) Even if it becomes a 5/5, that would mean I'm already going to win, because of the Sunbond + Ordeal of Heliod "combo": consider that my game plan is to get a Tallowisp, get a Blessed Spirits, fetch an enchantment, swing and gain life. Total of 3-4 creatures and enchantments. It's strong but a bit useless in this deck :/
2 weeks ago
which is why I have Witchbane Orb so I cant be the target of sacrifice. I put Ordeal of Heliod and a plains back in for now, removing In Garruk's Wake and Hedonist's Trove. I love Trove's effect but I feel it would be best suited in a mill deck with Omniscience.
1 month ago
Brutal Hordechief says they must block so you must have them block. They can however all block a single goblin token.
You can activate Auratog's ability to pump himself and the Ordeal of Heliod will trigger giving you 10 life. You can not however pump the Auratog when you sacrifice the Ordeal to the counter adding ability or if you sacrifice any other enchantment for any reason other than his pump ability.
1 month ago
Brutal Hordechief: In reference to it's activated ability, if I can choose how the blockers block; can choose to have the blocking creatures block nothing?
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
- Devour Flesh + Ordeal of Heliod + Sunbond
- Favored Hoplite + Ordeal of Heliod
- Ordeal of Heliod + Phalanx Leader
- Gift of Immortality + Ordeal of Heliod + Silent Sentinel
- Fabled Hero + Ordeal of Heliod
- Ordeal of Heliod + Sanguine Bond
- Ordeal of Heliod + Skyspear Cavalry
- Ordeal of Heliod + Vizkopa Guildmage
- Ajani's Pridemate + Ordeal of Heliod
- Ajani's Pridemate + Ordeal of Heliod + Sunbond
- Dawnbringer Charioteers + Ordeal of Heliod
- Ainok Bond-Kin + Ordeal of Heliod
- Hardened Scales + Hero of Iroas + Ordeal of Heliod
- Fabled Hero + Ordeal of Heliod + Sunbond
- Hero of Iroas + Ordeal of Heliod + Phalanx Leader
- Ageless Entity + Ordeal of Heliod + Unflinching Courage
- Dauntless Onslaught + Ordeal of Heliod
- Cradle of Vitality + Invisible Stalker + Ordeal of Heliod
- Aqueous Form + Ordeal of Heliod + Ordeal of Thassa
- Brave the Sands + Gift of Orzhova + Ordeal of Heliod
- Favored Hoplite + Ordeal of Heliod + Ordeal of Thassa
- AEther Figment + Ordeal of Heliod
- Nyx-Fleece Ram + Ordeal of Heliod + Sunbond
- Ageless Entity + Ordeal of Heliod
- Aqueous Form + Daxos of Meletis + Ordeal of Heliod
- Ordeal of Heliod + Sunbond + Wall of Reverence