|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Ultimate Masters (UMA)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Human Knight
Heroic — Whenever you cast a spell that targets Wingsteed Rider, put a +1/+1 counter on Wingsteed Rider.
Wingsteed Rider Discussion
10 months ago
I STRONGLY recommend a couple Standard Bearers in the side or even the main. Enchantment stacking is just asking to get you crushed by spot removal, and while stacking protection is nice, it's not a long-term solution, especially if your opponent is heavily control.
Speaking of protection, a couple Sejiri Steppe instead of Plains would be great for utility.
In a deck like this, I'd worry about running out of gas, so I think you could stand to add a couple Pentarch Wards to cantrip/replace.
Cool list! :D
1 year ago
Hello, KingMoney! Thanks for your feedback.
Emerge Unscathed is indeed essential to the deck, since not only it provides with protection, but also triggers the Heroism ability of Fabled Hero and other heroes like Wingsteed Rider and Hero of Iroas, twice (since it has Rebound).
As for the cartouches, Cartouche of Knowledge is indeed a pretty good choice, and I'm torn between that or continue using the very similar Spectral Flight or One With the Wind (those last two are functionally the same). The other cartouche you suggested doesn't really seem that good for the strategy of the Deck: betting everything on a single super-buffed unblockable monster.
Regarding removal, I already run 1 Oblivion Ring, plus 1 other card that has the same functionally but with a different name: Banishing Light. This is to avoid being cut off by cards like Surgical Extraction, Meddling Mage and other similar annoyances. I also run a Journey to Nowhere as the 3rd targeted removal, since the Deck needs a low mana curve to be aggressive.
As for Perimeter Captain, I realize that's an odd choice for most players. Slippery Bogle doesn't cut it for me, because the deck is mostly white with a splash of blue and no green, and it doesn't further my strategy. Perimeter Captain doesn't either, but it's good for its purpose: warding off attacks to win some time to get Fabled Hero going. Otherwise the Deck would get shredded by aggro red decks. With a 0/4 body, they are hard to top early on, and with two of them on the field you can block with both to gain 8 life. Still, maybe there's a better choice available.
1 year ago
I'm not an expert, but here is some general advice that I would have ignored if i'd gotten it when i first started:
- You can't win the game just because you have a lot of life (caveat: unless your deck is designed to do that, e.g. Test of Endurance). This means cards like Angel of Mercy and Angel's Mercy are just "delay" cards - they'll keep you from dying for a turn, but nothing else. You need to be able to win otherwise. That's not to say lifegain is bad (Ajani's Pridemate would eat me if i tried), but lifegain for the sake of lifegain is insufficient.
- Walls are good only if your deck is designed to be strong in lategame. Otherwise they are bad. It took me a long time to learn that. They can't attack, generally don't have any abilities that can win the game, and generally don't even prevent you being attacked (walls like Souls of the Faultless are an exception). Blocking a creature without killing it means it will just swing at you again next turn, and next turn it might have a friend, and now you can only block one of them. So unless the deck is designed to be strong late-game, you can generally replace walls with anything else and be equivalent or better-off.
- Card synergies are important. For example, you have Wingsteed Rider, but there are only two cards in the entire deck that will actually trigger his Heroic ability: Mighty Leap and Marked by Honor. Now, the base creature isn't bad (2/2 flying for 3 is decent/average), so i'm not saying take him out. Just, keep it in mind.
- Whenever you see a card, try to look for or think of interesting interactions. Since you're new, there are a ton of cards you're unaware of, and it's hard to keep everything in mind. For example, Enchanted Evening + War Priest of Thune (if everything is an enchantment, he can kill anything) or Angel's Mercy + Sanguine Bond (you gain 7 life and they lose 7 life).
- Some cards are the same as other cards, but one is just straight-up worse than the other. I can't really think of any examples using your cards, so i'll use these instead: Open Fire is strictly worse than Lightning Strike (3 CMC vs 2), which is itself strictly worse than Lightning Bolt (2 CMC vs 1). And it's not "old cards are worse than new cards", because Open Fire was just created/released, whereas Lightning Strike has been released several times. Just something to keep in mind. Closest example I can think of using your cards aren't straight comparisons, e.g. Angel of Mercy vs Serra Angel.
- This is a good resource: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Advanced.aspx It has every single card in MTG, and their rulings. It's one of the few sites I know of where the official site is better than most fan sites
1 year ago
I am new here and I have created one deck for our game group. But I am not sure which variant I should play? Shall I go for Boros or for Selesnya? Feel free to comment any other improvements to the deck that you think would be good.
I own all commons and uncommons of the Ravnica, Return to Ravnica and Theros block twice plus Magic X. Please note that this is a strictly budget deck. I am willing to buy rares as long as they are not more expensive than 1 USD. Also in our group we have the rule not to include more than 4 rares in your decks. This should ensure that the power level of the decks is similar.
Normally we are four or five players and we play free-for-all, two-headed giant and prisma. So the deck needs some defenses.
My deck list is strangely formatted. How do I do a better deck list?
1 year ago
I would recommend getting rid of a lot of mana rampers. If you do heroic right, you don't need much mana at all, and 25 lands will absolutely get you mana flooded. I would get rid of Wingsteed Rider and get two more Akroan Skyguard. Also, get rid of Archangel of Thune, I'm fairly certain her ability does not trigger heroic. Nyx-Fleece Ram is much better replace with Lagonna-Band Trailblazer. Also add in Fabled Hero and Dawnbringer Charioteers, they are basically staples for WG modern. Throw in Unflinching Courage, Ethereal Armor, Canopy Cover, Hyena Umbra, and Gods Willing.
1 year ago
Here are some creatures that could come out:Wild Wonder, Abzan Skycaptain, Aven Tactician, Bloodbriar, Hero of Iroas, Highspire Artisan, Lifecraft Cavalry, Narnam Renegade, Peema Outrider, Sandsteppe Outcast, Verdant Automaton, Wingsteed Rider: too much mana for minor effect, lack +1/+1 synergy
No data for this card yet.