|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
As Runed Halo enters the battlefield, name a card.
You have protection from the chosen name. (You can't be targeted, dealt damage, or enchanted by anything with that name.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (11)||Justinaut , JAT0 , vishnarg , Archegos , Joblaska , cklise , releasethedogs , Mortiferus_Rosa , awalloftext , Slowgod , Boza|
|Want (8)||LaKU , Monduck , jeremy3036 , CoyotePhantom , Zemi , TheBl0b , N3M0 , Captain_MUD|
Runed Halo Discussion
4 days ago
CarelessEmu That's probably a good assessment of both Timely and EE.
I've found Runed Halo is just a good flex card. Sometimes functions as additional removal and gets around hexproof. Makes life a bit harder for certain combo decks even if they have a way around it.
I've thought about splashing another color, but I'm currently not running many fetches and I would have to make my manabase much more painful.
5 days ago
arcane_trouper While Engineered Explosives is really good in other decks, I think it's terrible in tokens. You can only abuse x=0 to x=2 but rarely do you want x=2 as it hurts you. X=0 kills yours own tokens so that leaves you with x=1 as your only option. A lot of the one mana stuff you want to get rid of have better answers.
Timely Reinforcements is an okay card. It tends to be high variance. Sometimes your board state doesn't match up against creature decks to get full value out of it. Against Burn, it all depends on whether they have the anti-lifegain card and can play around it. Imo it's a bit situational. Overall, it might just be better to play more Collective Brutality as it's better against Burn and has utility against both creature and non-creature decks. Although it seems you already play 2 in the main board so I think you're totally fine. I would just recommend you play an extra Dismember to handle bigger threats and 1 Fatal Push. I really like this split based on the versatility.
Which matchups are you bringing in Runed Halo for? I think depending on the meta, one card to consider is Alpine Moon with one Sacred Foundry in the deck. It's the best hoser against the Tron and Valakut decks, which are probably the worst matchups for this deck. I'm not saying you should run it but it's something to brainstorm about.
1 week ago
Taxes are interesting Leonin lock is devastating. +1.
As for the sideboard, I know it is not a creature, but I suggest Runed Halo, as it protects you from Valakut and other win conditions.
1 month ago
I like the way you categorize the two subarchetypes here. With the HEAVY caveat that I don't have that many reps with the deck yet, here are a few thoughts:
- Something to keep in mind when deckbuilding is that each non-White card we add to the 75 reduces the value of Martyr of Sands by 3 life, which in turn reduces the value of Serra Ascendant.
- For this reason, Rule of Law might be worth looking at vs. Damping Sphere, and Runed Halo (thought it's super-pricey) or additional Nevermores vs. Sorcerous Spyglass. There are obviously other tradeoffs in the cards too, so I'm not sure what would be best for your playstyle/meta/75. But it's maybe something to think about :-)
- I was running 3x Surgical Extraction in the side for a while and it saved my bacon a number of times. But I recently switched to Rest in Peace ... partly because it's a White card, but also because it barely hurts us post-board (since opponents almost always bring in Gravehate against us, making Proclamation of Rebirth dead in hand anyways). Here too, I'm not really recommending RIP over Extraction (especially since Extraction vs. Tron is sooooooo good); just throwing out some more thoughts ...
- A few other points on the Gideon package: The Gideons are very strong vs. Wrath effects and Planeswalkers (which can be a struggle otherwise). Also, Gideon of the Trials' Emblem can help vs. some Combo decks.
- Speaking of 'Walkers: I've tried Hex Parasite and it's very strong, but it suffers sometimes as a non-White card too. I'm on Flash-flyers lately, and Restoration Angel is my current favorite ... Archangel Avacyn Flip was good but a little too cute, and though I love Aven Mindcensor's effect I like Resto's bigger size.
1 month ago
Consider dropping a Ghostly Prison for a Sphere of Safety since you're spamming enchantments. You may also want to work in something like Grinning Totem so you don't get blindsided by something like Paraselene, and can take note of other cards to use Runed Halo or Nevermore on while sifting through.
1 month ago
2 months ago
I tried a Courser build of this deck myself, and while sick with Jace, the Mind Sculptor, I like having the additional threat package of tracker + Karn much better, sweet innovation!
I'm a huge fan of Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet in the sideboard (probably cutting Thrun, the Last Troll). Turning all your removal into exile effects is incredibly powerful in a meta with a lot of sticky threats like Bloodghast, Kitchen Finks or Voice of Resurgence, it trumps burn, after a single activation it beats Gurmag Angler, it's utility can not be understated.
Naturalize is 99 percent of the time worst than Deglamer/Unravel the Aether, Trinket Mage is the only counter example I can think of. A split on those spells is better too: while you don't board then against Aether Vial to avoid Meddling Mage, you will appreciate it against Runed Halo out of mono white stax.
Furthermore, because Jace, the Mind Sculptor helps you find sideboard cards and 1 ofs pretty consistently over a longer game, I would consider some more narrow but powerful options such as Damnation, Creeping Corrosion, Back to Nature, Flaying Tendrils, or Jace, Architect of Thought to supplement the versatile 2 ofs in your board. This strategy can ensure you have plenty of cards for most of the format, while not taking too much room in your sideboard for narrow hosers, yet you still have access to them.
2 months ago
I bought the deck and played it quite a few times and realized that any amount of control really ends the deck. Runed Halo will prevent some of it. Well of Lost Dreams is pretty useless. Weathered Wayfarer was added along with some extra lands to help the ramp.