|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Magic 2015 (M15)||Mythic Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Planeswalker — Ajani
+1: Until end of turn, up to one target creature gets +1/+1 and gains first strike, vigilance, and lifelink.
-2: Put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control and a loyalty counter on each other planeswalker you control.
-7: You get an emblem with "If a source would deal damage to you or a planeswalker you control, prevent all but 1 of that damage."
Ajani Steadfast Discussion
1 week ago
Yesterday, I got Tamiyo, the Moon Sage to ultimate with Deepglow Skate . By the end of the game, Tamiyo, the Moon Sage had 2054 loyalty and Aminatou had over 500. I was able to abuse that Bubbling Season combo, flickering Deepglow Skate with Aminatou, the Fateshifter and ultimating planeswalkers Ob Nixilis Reignited twice and Ajani Steadfast once as well. Deepglow Skate also proved to be insane with Parallax Wave . Last week, I used Deepglow Skate to ultimate the often otherwise underwhelming Jace, the Living Guildpact . This deck has loads of win conditions and is fast and powerful while also able to control the board. I lost 1 vs. 1 against Najeela but probably could've won if I would've made a better decision on a Liliana Vess search... should've gotten Parallax Wave or Terminus .
2 weeks ago
So before I list cuts and suggestions let me start with what I've gathered from your deck.
You have a lack of value on a LOT of card that you've chosen, I'll explain in more detail in cuts but every card should serve to help you win the game not just push your theme/gimmick. sometimes you gotta make slots for cards.
Lack of spot removal. You have little to no way to deal with your opponents shenanigans, to be exact you have only 2 bits of spot removal. Your deck's gameplan isn't fast enough or big enough to just play solitare like some combo, control, or hyper aggressive decks.
You have a distinct lack of board wipes, to be exact you have one. I get your hesitation to run these but... You have to, if not someone is going to be in a better position than you and it's going to cost you the game.
I feel like you're ignoring your colors' strengths. Green ramps, White removes, and Blue Draws/Counters. Play to those strengths because that's what makes Bant such a powerful color combination!
Alright to the cuts:
- Tamiyo, field researcher: I get it she's an omniscience but I don't think that she lives for long and her + and - abilities aren't really all that useful to you or the gameplan. Not enough value.
- Nissa, vital force: You aren't playing lands, the only thing useful on this card to you is her - ability. Sure her ult would gain some passive use IF you ever got there! Not enough value.
- Spellbook: I don't understand why this was there to begin with... Reliquary Tower is far superior, and if you must have an artifact for it I'd run Thought Vessel over it anyday.
- Contagion Clasp: I'ma big believer that Contagion Engine is just better. For 4 extra mana upfront you get to wipe an opponent's board, and you get to pay the same 4 you'd pay on clasp but you'd get two proliferates instead. Who cares if you get it out turn two you can't do anything with it for two turns.
- Call the gatewatch: You aren't playing planeswalkers... this card doesn't have enough value and doesn't help you achieve your goal at all.
- Djeru, with eyes open: Refer to Call the Gatewatch
- tireless tracker: This COULD get there, it COULD be useful, but... That's a could be, not a guarantee. I'd prefer to see a card here that is going to help definitively.
- Vizier of the menagerie: you only have 25 creatures... you have a 1/4 chance for this to actually mean something. Not enough value as the deck stands with so few creatures. I'd rather see consistent draw power here.
- talisman of progress: I just don't think it's necessary you have 5 rocks total this isn't necessary at all.
- oath of ajani: I get it... It's first ability helps you out a lot, but... I just feel like it's a wasted card slot. it's an enchantment that you're basically treating as a sorcery.
Here are some card I'd suggest filling these holes, which I'll break down into categories.
Useful +1/+1 Shenanigans:
- Kalonian Hydra
- Champion of Lambholt
- Tuskguard Captain
- Abzan Falconer
- Loyal Guardian
- Prime Speaker Zegana
- Zameck Guildmage
- Bloodspore Thrinax
- Mikaeus, the Lunarch
- Walking Ballista
- Hydroid Krasis
- Sage of Hours
- Doubling Season / Primal Vigor
- Fuel for the Cause
Staples that should be in the deck including Spot removal!
- Vedalken Orrery
- Teferi's Protection
- Heroic Intervention
- Rhystic Study
- Path to Exile
- Swords to Plowshares
- Defense of the Heart
If you're going to play walkers these are much better suited to your deck:
Finally some board wipes
Last thing, I'm not taking into account budgets of any kind I just want to help you create the most competitive deck that won't fold over if someone screws your gameplan over. Also if I came off as a dick at all apologies, it's not intentional.
2 months ago
2 months ago
3 months ago
Flipping through cards I noticed the newly reprinted Frantic Search features a bird who looks an awful lot like Artificer's Assistant. The artist is not the same, but Search’s flavor text refers to Dominaria. Not a true Easter egg but certainly an interesting detail. Dragonlord Silumgar wears a necklace that upon closer inspection shows the magically preserved corpse of Tasigur, the Golden Fang. I always thought the dragon in the art of Ajani Steadfast was Sarkhan, as the next plane we saw after M15 was Tarkir. Can you think of other art that may include Easter eggs or other cleverly hidden details?
4 months ago
Courser doesn't do a lot in here I'm afraid. A better alternative would be Oracle of Mul Daya to play additional lands, but you may not like the mana cost or price tag. I would personally opt for 4 Noble Hierarch since you are in Bant colors and 4 Birds. Hierarch is also pretty expensive, but it's optimal. Aside from that there is Arbor Elf, but you won't maximize on that card unless you added in shock lands with 'Forest' subtypes, or even Utopia Sprawl enchantments feel good. Beyond that you have Sylvan Caryatid who isn't susceptible to spot removal, but it costs 2 CMC which also doesn't feel the greatest.
If you want to maximize on Doubling Season, a more Superfriends strategy sounds like what you want. I think you might want to consider walkers other than Jace though. Your board state is going to be rather thin unless you add walkers in color like Elspeth, Sun's Champion to generate tokens and double as a win cons, Garruk Wildspeaker for utility, tokens, and overrun, and maybe keep Jace in for the draw? Or really another Jace print wouldn't be bad. Ajani Steadfast looks fun with other walkers, and so does Ajani, Mentor of Heroes' second ability, even Ajani Unyielding's ult looks like some good support.
You have lots and lots of options. I don't know if my suggestions are the best, but hopefully they help tou brainstorm what you want to do.
4 months ago
Thanks for the suggestions CaptSillva!
I already cut the Contagion duo. But they are still on the "maybe" list.
I cut Ajani, Mentor of Heroes for the reason that sometimes the cards I need are put at the bottom of my library.
Ajani Steadfast, on the other hand, doesn't protect itself when it etb, but I may reconsider for that 2nd ability. Also, I have yet to get my hands on one.
4 months ago
Ajani Steadfast occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%