, Discard a land card: Molten Vortex deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
Printings View all
|Magic Origins (ORI)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Molten Vortex Discussion
6 days ago
(If you're dealt lethal damage with Lich's Mirror under your control, but you don't own it, it won't shuffle itself back in. Molten Vortex will prevent your life total from being raised to 20, so when state based actions are checked, you will lose again and the mirror will trigger again, and again, and again, making this an infinite loop that keeps itself going, and therefore draws the game)
4 weeks ago
Hello, There's a lot of really interesting cards that have been printed into modern with the release of Zendikar Rising, and one of the cards that I liked that hasn't really seen any decks built for it is Wayward Guide-Beast. Now it clearly isnt very good in an aggro deck, but there's something that it does that I think makes it worth looking at: You can play it in later turns, where it can be a quick clock while also being a decent engine and control piece.
Being a 2/2 with haste and trample, you can cast it with interaction up, and start swinging. While you are doing this, you are returning lands to your hand, which I think you can leverage into card advantage. You can draw Lightning Bolt every turn with Mystic Sanctuary, Use Searing Blaze, maybe attack and then replay a card:mutavault to block, take advantage of unique etb triggers for lands such as that of Bojuka Bog or Radiant Fountain. It just seems like there's a lot if stuff that yoy can do with this card. When it works, it seems like an excellent clock and control piece. If you have any ideas for a fleshed out list let me know. I have been thinking of doing a delver shell and including flip lands for higher frequency of delver flips and more card selection that you can use with later Wayward Guide-Beast. Another idea I had was to play Molten Vortex to have a lot of extra reach in the late game.
While Im at it, I started a little project to go through all of the modern legal sets and just noting down all remotely playable cards. This would be a deck building tool for anyone who likes brewing decks. If you are interested, you can find that here.
Anyways, any comments are appreciated. Thanks for reading.
2 months ago
Here are my favorites per color, and of course, colorless!:
Now, as I mentioned, there are plenty staples I didn't mention, here are some of the less common, more budget cards. If you want a list of all the dorks, draw engines, etc. that are at 1 cmc and should be run, just ask!
2 months ago
Thank you so much for your comment Profet93! Super helpful :)
Your first point about lowering land counts and dropping Molten Vortex for a few draw engine sounds like a superb idea!
A lot of cool sugestions will give you my thoughts about them!
- Endless Atlas A great one, that I even have a copy of, I see no reason not to add it :)
- Hedron Archive Not sure sure about this one, it seems a bit expensive at 4 mana. It looks like it would be more used as ramp than draw no?
- Humble Defector This sounds like a fun one! Can even steal it back with Confusion in the Ranks even without Homeward Path (which have some anti-synergy with Confusion). Will definitely pick it up.
- Ignite the Future/Light Up the Stage are very interesting cards, but I would be afraid not to be able to cast what ever I exile or for it to be lands, would need access to at least 8 mana to be able to cast it, feels a bit too slow. Not super sold on these two :)
- Mind's Eye Expensive as you say but will be worth it if the game will drag on, will be looking to picking this one up together with the Honor-Worn Shaku
- Solemn Simulacrum have a few of these laying around, not sure why I never put one it. Will do it until I find something to replace it with. :)
- Wheel of Fortune/Wheel of Fate/Reforge the Soul/Magus of the Wheel, of Fortune is not within my price range, it is almost as much as the rest of the deck combined. I might pick the Magus of the Wheel however as a cheap alternative.
- Curse of Opulence Such a evil card! A lot of my group either play decks that benefit a lot from ramp or who need a lot of mana. So I fear this would help them more than me, I will definitely put it on my list to pick it up if I see one cheap though. Cause I do want to try it.
- Dockside Extortionist Strong card! But unfortunately a bit to expensive, will put it on my "buy on a bargain" list though!
- Mind Stone will put in this one, like it more than the Hedron Archive as you can drop it a lot faster.
- Ruby Medallion Neat, will be looking to picking one up
- Sword of the Animist That's true! It basically reads "Pay 2, Put a land from your library into the battlefield tapped", will be looking to adding this one too for sure!
- Tough one, $15 is about what I am prepared to put down on a single card, if it isn't a win con or simply a "must have", I wouldn't say this is either but it is strong and versatile so will probably pick it up if I can.
- Etali, Primal Storm Aww, I just bought this guy for my Xenagos' Dudes goes Face deck where he can get instant value, maybe I should have picked up two of them. My fear here is that it's can be a bit too slow to have to wait another turn to be able to attack with it.
- Sunbird's Invocation Insane card. At the point I can put this down the game is either over or would be over in a few turns. Most of the cards in the deck needs a few turns to actually do something so even though this card is insane it might be too late?
- Sensei's Divining Top Love this card so much, but unfortunately a bit too expensive. It's on the "Get it on a bargain" list :)
- Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle It's also a bit too much to put on a card that is only going to ping for 3. If I had a few more ways to put out lands each turn it could be worth the 20$
- Chain Reaction Good idea, will replace it when I find one
- Nevinyrral's Disk Will be looking to pick one up!
- Blast Zone Looks to be a bit slow? Will pick one up anyhow and test run it
- Terror of the Peaks Yeah, wanted this in Norin as soon as I saw it. It have been dropping in price in my local market so will be looking to picking a couple up for my decks soon.
Again thank you so much for your comment, it have been super helpful.
I am super interested in hearing your thoughts about cuts to the deck. Like what you think is too weak or doesn't fit. :)
7 months ago
Hey, nice budget version of Torbran.
Tectonic Reformation is an often overlooked budget source of repeatable draw for red. Combine damage from Torbran and Glint-Horn Buccaneer with Reformation's repeatable cycling, Molten Vortex and Neheb, Dreadhorde Champion's combat damage to player to do a lot of damage to your opponents when you discard cards. When you can use Mountains as sources of draw or damage then this can give you a lot of wanted value with mono red because the one thing mono red has is a lot of Mountains.
Consider other budget cards that can be repeatable sources of damage, disrupt or stop many opponent strategies: Zo-Zu the Punisher, Harsh Mentor, Immolation Shaman? Ancient Runes can put the hurt on opponents who play lots of mana rocks or other artifacts. Pyrostatic Pillar can shut down combos that require casting cards. With Circle of Flame opponents will think twice about attacking you with ground creatures.
Good luck with your deck.
8 months ago
Other notable cards could also be Borborygmos Enraged, Living Twister, Molten Vortex, Tectonic Reformation, and in this deck Dakmor Salvage would be a staple. Fetch lands are also good, they don't need to be the expensive ones but something like Blighted Woodland, Warped Landscape, and Myriad Landscape are very good budget options. Edge of Autumn, and Harrow are ones I forgot to mention as well.
9 months ago
That was the first deck I made back in 99. I've always been a fan of tax assault.
10 months ago
You could probably do with including Wayward Swordtooth as a form of ramp and a win con in the late game, another good source of repeatable ramp is Sakura-Tribe Scout . As far as the aggro match up goes, Jaddi Offshoot is a good blocker and a source of lifegain. I could see a strong argument for splashing red for cards like Flame Jab Molten Vortex and Seismic Assault . Vengeful Pharaoh is very strong with dredgers, like Dakmor Salvage and your loams. You should probably include at least some form of land destruction, like Field of Ruin or even Encroaching Wastes I would recommend cutting the tron lands, if you include ramp because you don't have many creature that need that much colorless mana. I think there are a few too many cycling lands that could probably be replaced with some of the better ahmonket desert lands. There are a bunch of lands in your graveyard matters cards in the set modern horizons, so I would recommend checking that set out. Happy Holidays!