Devour in Shadow
Destroy target creature. It can't be regenerated. You lose life equal to that creature's toughness.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Devour in Shadow occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Devour in Shadow Discussion
3 months ago
Optimator: Hello there! Always gotta love Vilis decks, especially as detailed as this one :D A lot of cards in Maybeboard would fit the deck really well (I just have no idea why you got some cards two or three times there), but I would try to minimalize the maybeboard as much as possible, to not look the deck so chaotic.
I run Vilis in my Syr Konrad's For the Void deck.. he doesnt really fit the theme/idea of the deck so well, but Vilis is just too badass to cut out :D (anyway, any feedback/suggestions would be welcomed aswell <3 )
Some cards in deck I would cut, why, and their replacement:
1) Falkenrath Noble - might be a nice card in an aristocrat deck, there isnt really any way to generate->sac big amount of your creatures to abuse Falkenrath Noble as much as possible, also costs . If you want an aristocrat, Bastion of Remembrance could be a possible option aswell. Its cheaper, gives you a 1/1 token and has the same effect as F.Noble. Sure, can't attack or block, but Bastion is also harder to remove since its an Enchantment.
2) Leaden Myr - as you already mentioned, a possible cut for some other mana-rock.. I would switch it for Malakir Rebirth Flip as an another kind of "protection" to either Vilis or another important creature at the moment. With Vilis on board, it even draws you two cards (destroy protection, draw two cards, triggering aristocrat-like effects at instant speed for only ? YES PLEASE! ). In worse case scenario, its also additional land drop. Another possible replacement could be Blood Celebrant, which synergies well with both Vilis and K'riik.
3) Liliana's Contract - would probably fit better in some Demon tribal deck or Conspiracy deck. You also have only six Demons in your deck, all of them with fairly high mana cost. As a better card-draw, I would add either Greed, since it draws you 3 cards with Vilis on board, maybe even Skullclamp that would draw you two cards every turn with Ophiomancer, but Greed would be most likey better option, since there isnt really any other way to generate a lot of tokens every turn.
4) Crux of Fate - no Dragons in your deck, not even so many of them in black in general, so outside of politic reason, other 5CMC or less boardwipes would be better. I personally love Life's Finale, its more expensive than Crux of Fate, but enables you to look and search in target opponent's deck and put up to 3 creatures from their deck into theri graveyard, which would synergize with Chainer, Dementia Master, Geth, Lord of the Vault and some other.
5) Ruinous Path - sorcery speed removal is kinda meh, so something like Hero's Downfall is just better. I personally like Eat to Extinction, even if its more expensive, it helps with top-deck managment (+exiles targeted creature/pw).
6) Cut few swamps for:
6a) Cabal Stronghold - Stronghold is cheap, can tap itself for and can give you plenty of later on.
6b) Emergence Zone - I personally love this utility land, just because it gives you spells Flash whenever you sac it. It doesnt ETB tapped and can help you casting some stuff when you sac it.
7) Chaos Wand - might be a fun card, but doesnt really fit the deck at all. I would cut it for Bontu's Monument to make a lot of your big black stuff cheaper and another small source of life-gain.
8) Big mana-rocks: Gilded Lotus and Thran Dynamo - I used to run those too, but slowly started replacing them with cheaper mana rocks like Thought Vessel and Arcane Signet. Hedron Archive is okay-ish since it can draw you two cards when you no longer need it, but with Vilis and especially mono-black, there can always be enough card draw.
9) Spellbook - would be fine, if you didnt manage to get your Reliquary Tower or Venser's Journal on board, but otherwise its just a dead card that does nothing to you anymore. I would rather replace it with Ivory Tower to get some life back.
10) Curtains' Call - I would replace this one for one of the following:
10a) Devour in Shadow/Vendetta - cheap removal that can potentionaly draws you X cards aswell.
10b) Dismember - depending on how big the creature is, but since you could cast it for only one and draw 4 cards aswell, its decent choice aswell.
10c) Snuff Out - free removal in 99.999% time, which can draws you 4 cards aswell, but not for black creatures, which, depending on your opponent's deck, might be important. Still most likely a better option.
10d) Tragic Slip - goes through indestructible, but requires a creature to die to be maximum effective, which might be sometimes a problem. Still, really good one.
10e) Malicious Affliction - another cheap removal, which is also locked to non-black creatures, but is able to destroy two creatures if a creature died already, so similar issue like Tragic Slip.
10f) Profane Command - I just totally love this card. Its not instant, but can be really flexible in various situations, so I would probably go for this as a replacement.
10g) Erebos's Intervention - similar to Profane Command, it flexile aswell, providing you to remove some indestructible creature and get some life; or serves as a fairly decent graveyard hate at instant speed.
I won't go through cards in maybeboard, even though there is plenty of really nice cards that would work so well in Vilis's deck, like Bolas's Citadel, Doom Whisperer, Font of Agonies and Phyrexian Reclamation and many more, it would just be a little too much, I would say... :D
I hope some of my suggestions will help, gonna upvote this for sure, just because it looks really nice, especially with so many possible cards that could easily fit so well :)
5 months ago
Hey, good first draft version of Yahenni on a budget. Nice to see Skirsdag High Priest, underrated casual card in multiplayer Commander :)
Do you own the cards in the sideboard? If you do consider adding Grim Haruspex and Shadowspear to the main deck? Some advice for improvements is to expand on effects that make all your opponents sac a creature, more repeatable draw sources for when creatures die and more ramp.
Some cards to consider adding:
- Oathsworn Vampire: can cast it from your graveyard, combos with Bontu's Monument to drain your opponents for one . Also interacts with Yahenni + any aristocrat for .
- Buried Alive: tutor for and put three creatures into your graveyard who can reanimate/cast themselves from your graveyard.
- Bolas's Citadel: one of the most powerful mono black cards in Commander and you can take advantage of it having your Commander be a sac outlet with a repeatable draw source. If you see a land on top of your library and you don't have a land drop for the turn then you can sac a creature with Yahenni to draw the land. This potentially lets you cast more cards from the top with Citadel.
- Dark Prophecy: triggers when tokens you control die.
- Vona's Hunger
- Demon's Disciple
- Dreadhorde Invasion
- Crypt Ghast
- Bubbling Muck
- In Garruk's Wake
- Dark Ritual
- Culling the Weak
- Rogue's Passage: make Yahenni unblockable.
- Castle Locthwain and Witch's Cottage: budget utility lands for mono black.
My advice for cards to consider cutting are instant/sorcery removal spells and creatures that only kill one creature: Walk the Plank, Drag to the Underworld, Devour in Shadow, Morkrut Banshee, Skinrender, Gatekeeper of Malakir only kill one creature and they're not as good as Ravenous Chupacabra for the effect. You can get better value for Yahenni from more removal that hits all opponents.
Unless your using Altar of Dementia as an infinite combo to mill all your opponent's libraries in one turn then it's subpar as a sac outlet since not taking enough advantage of self-mill and repeatable opponent mill is risky in multiplayer Commander where graveyards are another resource for lots of decks. In my opinion repeatable draw is better here than repeatable self-mill. Skullclamp could replace Dementia as a comparable priced card with a better effect.
Cards to consider cutting:
- Barren Moor
- Desert of the Glorified
- Polluted Mire
- Mortician Beetle
- Walk the Plank
- Drag to the Underworld
- Devour in Shadow
- Morkrut Banshee
- Gatekeeper of Malakir
- Army of the Damned
- Altar of Dementia
- Avatar of Woe
- Murderous Rider
- Geralf's Messenger
Good luck with your deck.
5 months ago
Strictly better Geomancer's Gambit gooo
Kinda surprised 's targeted enchantment removal ended up being as straightforward as a Devour in Shadow
Felidar Sovereign got a spiritual successor
Relic Robber is really cute yet not really fitting in my Marisi, Breaker of the Coil deck
Angel of Jubilation that's castable outside of mono-? kinda wowed, although I wish it traded some stats for evasion
7 months ago
There is a Mirrodin version of Ornithopter, by the way.
You might consider some of these cards:
All just for Mirrodin flavor and the Dross itself. All of these cards have had printings in a Mirrodin set.
8 months ago
You don't have enough creatures for Aether Vial, it's more of a dead draw than it is a way to cheat on mana. Devour in Shadow is terrible, if you really want a removal spell that makes you lose life Dismember is much better. Vendetta is just as bad as Devour in Shadow, Fatal Push is better. You can add some fetches to make revolt work. Phyrexian Totem is nothing but a homage to an old card which wouldn't be playable now and totem itself is just a worse version of said old card with nothing to ramp into. Sangrophage will kill you before it does anything useful, I know that you want to keep the spirit of sicide black but these 'undercosted beaters' are frankly quite bad. Death's Shadow is your only payoff for losing life, and with no way to find it/get it back none of these cards that make you lose life are acctually giving you an advantage. If you want a competetive deck based around Death's Shadow there are plenty of options. Vampire's Bite dosen't do enough, pumping a creature for three isn't playable unless there is another reason for it (i.e. infect), and with the amount of life this deck is losing lifelink isn't going to save you. Treacherous Pit-Dweller is a two for one in your opponents favor, I can see many games where you play it, it gets killed, and none of your creatures are big enough to attack throgh it so you need to wait until you find a removal spell. Inquisition of Kozilek hits pretty much everything you'll need to hit early game but you don't lose two life, losing life is not an advantage. It should probably be the 4-of over inquisition.
1 year ago
https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ravostymna-commander/?cb=1581301250 I dont really know what to do. Im thinking of adding: Kunoros, Hound of Athreos Kambal, Consul of Allocation To Arms! Syr Konrad, the Grim Megrim Overwhelming Forces Devour in Shadow Beckon Apparition Collar the Culprit Dawn Charm
1 year ago
Ad Naus with the commander out it doesn't matter if the average CMC is high, you're still getting as many life points as you lose from your commander, plus the ones you get from Ad Naus. A lower average CMC will give more cards, but just consider that Ad Naus gets so much extra mileage anyways with this commander.
Lower CMC will make more explosive early plays, which is important when you can't reliably get your commander for the first couple turns. I would swap spells for permanents, and add more engine cards to help ensure the commander comes out.
- Read the Bones -> Mindblade Render
- Ancient Craving -> Phyrexian Etchings
- Devour in Shadow -> Shriekmaw
- Hatred -> Phyrexian Reclamation
- Vesper Ghoul -> Jet Medallion
- Temporal Extortion -> Plunge into Darkness
And if budget allows
Mindblade grinds value and can block/swing better than Read da Bonez. Etchings draws you the same amount of cards as Ancient Cravings after 2 turns but gives more the longer it stays and causes combotastic lifeloss. Shriekmaw is removal on an evasive creature if you want it, and it ups creature density while keeping a removal slot. Hatred is a nice burst card, but leaves you vulnerable after using it and is expensive to cast and easy to interrupt via counters/combat tricks/blocking, reclamation will let you grind value in longer games and has more of an impact earlier. Medallion outpaces the vesper ghoul immediately, coming out cheaper and being more useful with more spells per turn, and no summoning sickness. Temporal Extortion isn't great because it gives your opponents the choice, and they will always choose the better one for their situation. An extra turn is great, but half life of one player isn't all that important in combo-driven EDH. The rock changes come out earlier and help you dump your hand faster, meaning you have stronger presence sooner in the game, pretty standard in most serious decks.
Also worth checking out Loxodon Warhammer in tandem with with swamp equippers to add some life gain back in. You should also consider having a go-infinite combo for winning once you've drawn your deck. Paradox Engine fits in extremely well with Citadel or Ad Naus, and a Sensei's Divining Top + Voltaic Key gives another way to draw through the deck with Paradox. Use with a mana sink like Torment of Hailfire and you're golden
1 year ago
You might like Changeling Outcast over Prickly Boggart, just for that extra assurance against any black decks.
Murder also seems pretty slow for a deck this fast-paced. Something cheaper like Devour in Shadow , Vendetta or even Snuff Out might be preferable to take its place. Or you could just forget removal entirely and go completely all-out, putting in something like Morsel Theft as a cheap way to whittle down your opponent's life without losing a card.