Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH
|Commander: Rule 0
Shadowheart, Dark Justiciar
Legendary Creature — Human Elf Cleric
, , Sacrifice another creature: Draw X cards, where X is that creature's power.
Choose a Background (You can have a Background as a second commander.)
Recommendations View more recommendations
1 month ago
How about something like Restless Dreams, Insidious Dreams, or Black Market Connections to help clear Demon clogs? Those would help find Shadowborn Apostles as needed (or make Changelings to fill in for them). Shadowheart, Dark Justiciar is a strong draw engine by itself, but these options can help give it gas for the engine.
For staying power, what's the core issue? Creatures too small, not enough recursion, board wipe susceptibility?
2 months ago
I like the cards you have here! Great stuff so far. I have several questions and suggestions:
- I know these are the cards you have on hand, but is money a factor so far as buying additional cards? If not, I would highly recommend a Tendershoot Dryad. It will pair well with your Sporecrown Thallid, Verdeloth the Ancient, Nemata, Grove Guardian and Verdant Force. These cards are a pretty solid core for the deck. Now start looking for ways to tutor them. Worldly Tutor, Diabolic Intent, Grim Tutor..... we are in fantastic colors for tutoring the cards you need.
- After building the core of your deck and what you want it to do, I like to add support and utility cards. I love Viconia, Drow Apostle, Shadowheart, Dark Justiciar, Rankle, Master of Pranks, and Loyal Guardian for this purpose! Might I recommend a Thunderfoot Baloth to pair with your Guardian?
- Cut your land count down to 37 - 40, then playtest and see how it feels
- Play to your commander's strength. I am working on a budget version (less than $80) of The Mycotyrant myself, and will be playing Cemetery Tampering, Crawling Infestation, and Crawling Sensation. One of the things I try to do is build a deck that functions well without the commander on the board so I am not completely hosed when they are removed. I like all 3 of these enchantments because I am not in danger of decking myself, and if the commander is not on the field I do not have to mill. I talk about milling, because it plays to The Mycotyrant's strength as a commander. We will see if I still want all 3 enchantments in the deck after I build it and see it in action, hopefully soon.
- If you decide to lean into milling yourself and sacrificing creatures like I have for my deck, I would recommend stepping away from non-creature spells and do your removal in creature form. I currently only have a total of 7 sorceries and instants in my deck, so as I mill myself I am more guaranteed to hit permanent cards. Remember that The Mycotyrant cares about permanent cards in your graveyard, so sacrificing your tokens will not contribute to its descend mechanic.
- To follow along the vein of previous suggestion, invest in some free sac outlets: Greater Good, Altar of Dementia (target yourself to capitalize on commander ability at your end step)
I think that's all I have for the moment...... let me know if you have any questions! Here is my work in progress Budget Mycotyrant
7 months ago
Just checking on when Haunted One will effect my creatures exactly. If I go to sacrifice Taborax, Hope's Demise to Shadowheart, Dark Justiciar will it gain the +2/+0 and Undying before it actually dies? Since Shadowheart is being tapped and the creature is being sacrificed as part of the same cost I wasn't totally sure... Thanks in advance.
9 months ago
I understand the reasoning behind cards like Corrupted Conviction, but to me the bonus is not more than the cost. Drawing two off of one card, effectively going up 1 card in hand one time per include, is simply not enough to warrant a spot, even if it helps you proliferate. A card like Erebos, Bleak-Hearted lets you sacrifice your tokens and draw off of them, but does so more than once as a single card, and also could offer removal depending on the board state. Shadowheart, Dark Justiciar similarly has a higher ceiling because it's one card that can draw several more, and more than once, though I do understand these are not phyrexians and so somewhat less synergistic in that sense (but the instants/sorceries aren't phyrexian either, so I think the point is mute). I think cards like Ashnod's Altar and Krark-Clan Ironworks are incredibly synergistic here, as they provide the mana to activate your tokens while potentially also triggering the proliferate, I did not notice they were not in but would recommend them as well.
1 year ago
I haven't done too much research into pairings, but I do think a few had some potential (for me, at least) :
Shadowheart, Dark Justiciar and Inspiring Leader for Orzhov token shenanigans. The buff from the background helps Shadowheart draw cards, too. Gut, True Soul Zealot and Halsin, Emerald Archdruid also work really well with the background here.
I will admit, I do like CLB's background partner system a lot more than the dungeon mechanic that AFR gave us. It feels much more "DnD" to me. (as someone who's never played DnD)