|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2013 (C13)||Common|
|Duel Decks: Ajani vs. Nicol Bolas (DDH)||Common|
|Shards of Alara (ALA)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Obelisk of Grixis
Tap: Add (Blue), (Black), or (Red) to your mana pool.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (6)||ironax , Mousemke , NobleSlay3r , pokemate0 , , dplerner|
|Want (2)||mlouden03 , Turtlelover73|
Obelisk of Grixis Discussion
4 weeks ago
Mimic Vat and Mirari are both really cool cards, but they're a bit too slow considering your low amount of creatures (and your high percentage of legendary creatures). You can drop the Obelisk of Grixis for a Hedron Archive to give you more late game fuel.
1 month ago
First of all if your ramping into door to nothingness you either want duel lands or tri lands and Mana rocks such as the various border posts or signets. Secondly you want a secondary win condition, and my advice is (staying in colourless theme) Darksteel Reactor. Although slow, many people will try to work out ways to eliminate it because it appears to be a threat. Finally you need more blockers to help protect your plan. Keeping theme, Etched Champion and Myr Servitor fit nicely here.
3 months ago
Welcome to Grixis Control! As a lifelong fan of Grixis control I can say you have a pretty decent deck list. However, I do have a few suggestions to offer.
I see you are running Exquisite Blood. Since you run Venser's Journal, I would also suggest running Sanguine Bond as a way to kill your opponents faster. Additionally, I would consider Necropotence for added card advantage and it partners nicely with the journal.
You seem to run a lot of top deck manipulation effects in Brainstorm, Ponder, Preordain, Sleight of Hand and Read the Bones. I would recommend cutting some or all of those for tutors like Vampiric Tutor, Demonic Tutor, Mystical Tutor or even some of the budget friendlier options such as Diabolic Revelation, Diabolic Tutor, and Dark Petition. Tutoring is a lot more effective for control in the commander environment since you are dealing with a 99 card singleton deck. If you want top deck manipulation I would suggest adding Sensei's Divining Top.
Lastly, I have a couple suggestions for your mass and targeted removal. I would definitely add Damnation to the list if it fits the budget. Additionally, Decree of Pain is wonderful in a control build where removal and card advantage are key. With this card you net both. You may also want to consider artifact board removal such as Nevinyrral's Disk and Oblivion Stone. For instant speed single target removal I recommend Terminate, Hero's Downfall and Crosis's Charm for added flexibility.
I hope you enjoy playing Grixis Control!
3 months ago
3 months ago
This is a sweet Sedris budget deck! It's got all the budget zombie staples for UBR, and some that I'd even classify as better than budget. It's a great starting point, and it's wonderful that you already have additions you'd like to make.
- I think you're trying something crafty with Sundial of the Infinite. If you're looking to keep the unearthed creatures in play by triggering that in response to breaking out the shovel, the sundial will instead remove the unearth ability from the stack and the creature will stay in the graveyard. I'd cut it.
- Yahenni's a wonderful sac outlet...unless you're playing tribal. I think you can do better with something undead and not made of aether.
- You're going to think I'm crazy, but I'm going to suggest cutting Deadeye Navigator. I know, I know! He is so wonderful at the blinking, and EtB abilities abound, but zombies will find a better way to do that through the graveyard instead of the space between moments.
- You don't have much in the way of mill in this deck, and as such Sepulchral Primordial's hands may end up a bit tied. It is great in multiplayer, but by the time you're up to seven mana, you're going to be wanting to do other things. Replace it with something that has a good EtB ability that isn't entirely "opponents' graveyard"-dependant.
- Even Manalith is better than Obelisk of Grixis, and I think you can find something better than either of them.
- I'm only suggesting you cut Solemn Simulacrum because I know for a fact that there is a zombie card out there that will help feed the themes of the deck and still do essentially the same thing.
I hope this was a help. I've played Thraxi Zombies for years, and played around a lot with the archetype. I know I did a lot of shredding in my very long comment, but that's what you were asking for. If you'd like any suggestions for additions, let me know and I'll unleash the horde. Good luck with the deck!
5 months ago
5 months ago
K34, I will not purchase the complete set, but I shall purchase individual cards from it, such as those that I have already mentioned, above.
Zaueski, I would have greatly preferred that Chromatic Lantern had been in Bolas' deck instead of Obelisk of Grixis, but, apparently, WotC does not like to have powerful or valuable cards in preconstructed decks; I know that the obelisk is suitable from a flavor perspective, but the lantern or even Darksteel Ingot would have been far better choices for that deck.
And I cannot believe that Vampire Nighthawk has the same artwork, again! Is WotC really so miserly that they cannot afford to pay for new artwork for that card? I really wish to have new artwork for it for a deck of mine that has four copies, so that I can have three different images on the same card in that deck.