|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Premium Deck Series: Slivers (PDS)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Sliver
Whenever a Sliver deals combat damage to a player, its controller may put a 1/1 colorless Sliver creature token into play.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (10)||ibraJG84 , xpsychovampx , zachi , Mousemke , Psycheretic , Spinalripper , GoldGhost012 , mziter501 , BlueMageBrandon , xXThormentXx|
Brood Sliver Discussion
on Sliver Rush
1 month ago
2 months ago
I love slivers more than most players. It seems like your deck has a lot of slivers in it, which is good, but I feel like in some cases you need an reason to put it in besides the fact that it's a sliver. I run a bizarre kind of sliver token deck though, so in mine, I only run 17 or so slivers, so take everything I have to say with a grain of salt.
Slivers that aren't that great:
- Blade Sliver
- Dementia Sliver (I guess if you like it, you should keep it)
- Essence Sliver (this one sounds nuts, but I run Aura Shards over this, simply because it's strictly better. There is the fact that you can't tutor for it with overlord, but for me, I have the problem that essence sliver doesn't have "may," so sometimes I end up killing a lot of my own stuff. Still there's an argument to be made for it.
- Screeching Sliver (I just don't know why this card is in here. It seems like a pretty non-synergistic effect. I also feel like even if you had a lot of slivers, it would take you an ass ton of time to mill someone out by tapping them all in EDH)
Other things to take out:
- Staff of Nin (I like this card in mono-red, but that's about it. since you have access to all the colors, there's a huge amount of cards you have access to that are just better than this card. Find something that works well with your deck. I like Fecundity, but I'm in tokens. There's a lot in blue that are great. Mind Unbound will draw you a lot of cards (a lot more than the staff). and has the same CMC, but it does have double blue. I even like Phyrexian Arena in this deck.
- Hive Stirrings. (I'm in sliver tokens and I don't really love this card. Just a lot of other effects i'd rather have for 3 mana. Maybe a Mirror Entity or an Phyrexian Arena)
- Venser's Journal (I love this card, but not in this deck. I just feel like there's not enough card draw, hand size shenannagins to make use of this card. If you added like 10 more card draw spells then sure, good pick)
Stuffs to Add:
(Note: given the sliver legion and queen, it seemed like money wasn't much of an issue, so some of these picks aren't exactly budget)
- Brood Sliver (Where is this guy? seriously, he's great.)
- Cryptolith Rite (take out Springleaf Drum. Cryptolith Rite costs one more and is strictly better.)
- Amoeboid Changeling (I think I know what you're going for with Unnatural Selection. If you want though, you can even tutor it out, since amoeboid is a changeling and therefore a sliver. I only do this when I feel like I absolutely have to or I feel like being a dick. depends on your meta, but I try not to overuse this ability too much.)
- Crypt Sliver (just...yes....)
- Crystalline Sliver (this has a downside if you need to target your stuff, so don't drop it unless you need to. I feel like this is a better slot in than blade sliver or some of the lower end pumps. If you need to, only play him when you already have a sliver with a sac outlet on the battlefield)
- Mesmeric Sliver (depending on how many slivers you can drop, this gets pretty nuts. just always make opponents draw land.)
- Shifting Sliver (THIS MUST GO IN. Like seriously though. just drop this and win.)
- Coat of Arms (Most EDH decks only have access to one of these effects, but yours can have access to two with sliver legion in the deck too. I know this pumps everyone's tribal, so just have more of your tribe and you're good. Also you only have to drop this when you want to swing for lethal. Might be a good slot instead of Venser's Journal or something.)
Some nuts busted cards:
- Cryptic Gateway. (this is nuts. I love it)
- Cauldron of Souls (this is a super underrated card. When I go in and retune my deck, this is going in)
- Wild Pair (since you like cryptic gateway, you might like this card. didn't make it into mine, because i'm pretty low on slivers, but slivers always have the same power and toughness, making it really easy to use this card.)
Great deck. I'd love to hear what you think of my sliver tokens deck. I haven't tweaked it in a while so there's some obvious slot in's from Ixalan at least that need to go in. http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/make-tokens-great-again/
Thanks for sharing :)
4 months ago
You raise a good point van_963. Only 6 of the 28 slivers in here would miss Urza's Incubator, and with Herald’s Horn the most expensive non-5 colour sliver would only be 4 mana (Brood Sliver). I think that's a perfectly viable swap! I'm also looking at cutting Sedge Sliver for Kindred Discovery. I have a mere 5 swamps in this deck so unless I slot in Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, odds are he's pretty weak in this particular brew. I think I'll make those changes, cheers.
4 months ago
Since I can't figure out how else to display them, here is my "acquire" list that will replace other cards in the deck:
5 months ago
Ice Cave seems to be staple for any 5-color deck, and particularly here since both Root Sliver and Quick Sliver work perfectly with it. It also helps avoid those board-wipes after a Primal Surge, since all of your slivers will have both haste and the ability to tap for any color of mana, so it gives you the perfect ability to counter any threats.
Cryptolith Rite is a third Gemhide Sliver/Manaweft Sliver, and one that's not taken care of with Doom Blade and such. If you want to be a little more mana stability, Druids' Repository is a card I'm fond of as well, but might not fit this deck perfectly as the 2 green might be too much for too little here.
Tranquil Grove is a solid answer for many decks and should be in any deck with green, but without reliance on enchantments.
One with Nature is much more relevant in 60 card decks where you can stack Galerider Sliver and Winged Sliver, but many people don't seem to know of this card and I personally very much enjoy it as it's budget mana ramp+fix, plus being a permanent is always a plus in my eyes, so I thought I'd throw it in here!
7 months ago
There are several Sliver I think your amiss in dismissing:
Bonescythe Sliver, for cheap double strike.
Brood Sliver, for massive Sliver production.
Harmonic Sliver, for artifact/enchantment removal.
Heart Sliver, for cheap haste.
Magma Sliver, for massive gains.
Manaweft Sliver, as a backup Gemhide Sliver.
Necrotic Sliver, to turn every Sliver into a Vindicate.
Shifting Sliver, to make your team unblockable.
Sinew Sliver, as another Muscle Sliver.
Virulent Sliver, to only have to deal ten, not 40.
Winged Sliver, for more flying.
Other Slivers you might consider: Basal Sliver, Cautery Sliver, Darkheart Sliver, Essence Sliver, Groundshaker Sliver, Horned Sliver, Spined Sliver, Spitting Sliver, Lymph Sliver, Megantic Sliver, Opaline Sliver, Psionic Sliver, Pulmonic Sliver, Screeching Sliver, Sedge Sliver, Sliver Legion, Sliver Queen, Sliver Overlord, Synapse Sliver, Synchronous Sliver, and Syphon Sliver.
Cavern of Souls, obviously.
Descendants' Path, if you want to go heavy tribal.
Metallic Mimic, for extra buffs at low cost.
Obelisk of Urd, for more huge buffs.
Stoneforge Masterwork, for massive tribal buff.
7 months ago
So Thorncaster Sliver came across my radar sometime ago, and my reasons for not including are thus - for a 2/2 that can deal potentially 3 points of damage in a given turn is lackluster. Terrible. Not worth the mana. Additionally, there are plenty of other slivers that cost (in varying colors) that are just plain better - Brood Sliver the Legendary Slivers and Synapse Sliver just to name a few. It's synergy with Venom Sliver is nice and all, but that's the only card let alone sliver it'd have any actual synergy with. To make it more viable, i'd have to include Toxin Sliver as well, but i'd prefer to keep my current line up. tl:dr - it's CMC is too high for what good it actually does.
9 months ago
I do hope The Professor's prediction comes true, I never was playing magic at the time of Dominara even though I do know a lot of the lore now.
I never got to play with slivers early on. I only discovered slivers about 3 years ago (Started magic at around Journey into Nyx and mainly played with a lot of theros stuff first) when I had a friend who happened to have some m14 slivers and I one day I traded for some such as a Galerider Sliver and 2 much older Russian Sidewinder Slivers who he originally got from someone else I think. I didn't even know at the time that there was more older ones but I found these interesting and wanted the ones he had.
Later on when where I lived actually got a game store that opened and had started to doing Fnms had I found out from two people the format of commander who both owned Sliver Overlord edh decks that there were more slivers. At this point I was practically already playing with a commander deck lol, as my casual magic deck was a deck featuring cards like Prophet of Kruphix, Heroes' Bane, Arcanis the Omnipotent, Horizon Chimera, and a bunch of other things. This became later my first commander deck with Vorel of the Hull Clade (Now it's an Atraxa, Praetors' Voice deck with Vorel still in it btw) and I started to also plan a Sliver Overlord deck.
One of the two I mentioned at my lgs even in time decided to sell his sliver overlord deck because he never got to play it enough, so I traded for some older slivers like Sinew Sliver, Brood Sliver, Fungus Sliver, and a couple others he had. He however wanted to keep Sliver Legion, Sliver Queen, Sliver Overlord and Sliver Hivelord.
I have my own Sliver Overlord, and Sliver Hivelord now but I still need to in time buy the others. Then I got to acquire some of the lands to finish my deck. I regret earlier trades that I have done however, use to have a Wooded Foothills, Windswept Heath,Flooded Strand, Polluted Delta, Steam Vents and Temple Garden but I traded them all away thinking I wouldn't need them, and I sure was very wrong. It was rather silly of me still being new to the game sort of then.
Like I even opened at one point a Windswept Heath expedition not knowing it's entire value but I sleeved it still because they looked nice. I later discovered and sold it for store credit at a store and bought a bunch of cards with it like Kozilek, Butcher of Truth, Omnath, Locus of Mana, Sheoldred, Whispering One, Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur, I think you get the point. All these big splashy cards to go into my casual magic decks to use on my friends. Then I later when I started playing magic a bit more seriously it rather sucked to realize I had no use for them in standard or modern or wanted to use them for edh any longer. That store even had Sliver Legion and Sliver Queen but I didn't yet know about slivers :(
Going to now anyways buy them next once I first open a bunch of Amonkhet for standard stuff perhaps. Although it would be nice to see a reprint for the Sliver Legion. The next set after Amonkhet however though has turned out to be one called Ixalan I think it was spelled? This looks to be a mesoamerican inspired plane so there's no hope for slivers in September/January. More likely will get a few merfolk instead is my guess. However maybe the block after in the summer could be dominara? I would live to see slivers as first of all I would enjoy playing them in standard as I never got to do that earlier. Then anything for edh would be awesome. Currently have my Atraxa, Praetors' Voice, Sliver Overlord although the lands are fairly budget, and Athreos, God of Passage for my edh decks. I am trying to upgrade them all slowly over time as I'm as well upgrading my very costly modern infect deck (Need Noble Hierarch playset and 5 more green related fetchlands) and a little before that my b/g delirium deck for standard (rather absurd its more than my Atraxa deck in $ right now thanks to a playset of Grim Flayer, Liliana, the Last Hopes, Blooming Marsh, and what not making it like over $470 I believe, use to be a bit more value but it's falling). As you can see I'm trying to slowly upgrade rather a lot of things even though my standard I'm happy with for now, but I do hope to finish Slivers maybe by the fall is my guess?
Now if you thought you were ranting then that is nothing compared to all of this! This is much worse so I do apologize. (Longest TappedOut comment I have made I think in the little more than a year on here now lol).