|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Magic 2014 (M14)||Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Sliver
Sliver creatures you control have double strike.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (16)||ibraJG84 , ironax , Wazerwifle , Mousemke , pskinn01 , CampbellStev , golgarigirl , saj0219 , bradyofportdetroit , switchkill65 , LoneCrusader399 , , KipIsKosher , dplerner , thetechzombie , mziter501|
Bonescythe Sliver Discussion
4 weeks ago
I'm assuming you're playing a casual format where just about every card is legal so I'll give you a broad list of options.
Incidentally, the first deck I made was a slivers tribal as well :)
- Ancient Ziggurat: Provides you any color of mana you need but on the condition that it's only spent for creatures.
- Sliver Hive: One of the two best lands for a sliver deck. You get any color you want without restrictions for a sliver deck. Late game, it provides functionality by allowing you to poop baby slivers out whenever needed.
- Cavern of Souls: The other best land and likely the best land in the game for tribal? Like the others, it provides you with every color AND makes your creatures uncounter-able. Extremely useful against blue deck matchups. Downside is that it's like 40$ a piece
- Unclaimed Territory: The cheaper brother of Cavern of Souls. Does everything it does for but doesn't give the "can't be countered clause." Worth considering since it's about 6% the cost of Cavern of Souls.
- Mutavault: Only provides colorless mana but can't turned into a creature at any time. Basically it can become a sliver whenever you need it, perhaps as a bait, blocker, or extra attacker.
- Gemhide Sliver / Manaweft Sliver: Excellent and perhaps critical if you're running several colors. Turns your slivers into mana dorks and allows you to speed up your game by providing more mana. Many sliver decks run 4x.
- Diffusion Sliver: If you're looking to modern-ize your deck then replace Crystalline Sliver with this. It's not that good comparatively but it's modern legal.
- Sinew Sliver, Predatory Sliver, Muscle Sliver: Your bread and butter of the deck. You're likely to run 8x of them if possible.
- Galerider Sliver: Literally a better version of Winged Sliver. It costs one mana less and does everything better. Replace Winged Sliver with this if you can.
- Venom Sliver: Gives all your slivers deathtouch, making them all deadly.
- Pulmonic Sliver: Gives all your slivers flying as well as the ability to "revive them" by putting them on top of your library upon death.
- Bonescythe Sliver: Gives all double strike. Easy way to secure your combat advantage and double your damage potential all in one go.
- Sentinel Sliver: Provdes vigilance to all your slivers. I love this card personally and run 2x.
- Sliver Queen, Sliver Hivelord, Sliver Legion, Sliver Overlord: Your sliver gods. All expensive but provide crazy utility. Queen makes more sliver. Hivelord gives your guys indestructibility. Legion provides stat buffs. Overlord allows you to search your library for any sliver you want.
- Collected Company: Luckily most slivers are 3 and below the CMC cost, usually making CoCo a 2-for-1 card. In essence, consider this an instant that reads "play this whenever you want to have 2 more slivers on the board." Can be used for surprise blockers / increasing your board presence. You may find that lowering the CMC to 3 and below maximize the value of this card.
- Aether Vial: Get 4x of this if you can. It's very costly but extremely useful. Allows you summon free creatures essentially at instant speed. This will be your turn 1 most of the time move if possible.
1 month ago
enpc, you make a compelling argument for the removal of Unnatural Selection. I have to admit, i'm feel more and more convinced that I should swap it out. However, the Emperor example was a poor one. Allow me to submit another: During a game of Multiplayer (6 opponents I believe, including myself) commander I stole The Gitrog Monster and proceeded to bash that player with their own commander. The ramp and card draw The Gitrog Sliver provided was magnificent. It enabled me to play more and more slivers that in turn made me an absurd threat. All the other players at the table were also afraid to play their commanders for roughly 3 turns before I reduced that poor Gitrog player to nothing. So, again you can see why I'm hesitant to remove that card.
If I were to remove that card however, then for tutoring options there is only ONE choice here: Demonic Tutor. Amazing card that is overdue for a reprint. This is minor, but what frustrates me is that the DCI judge promo for this card is roughly $300. That as far as I know is the only foil instance of that card. I want it, but not at that price. The last planned high priced acquisition on my list is Sol Ring, and i'm kind of looking forward to it being the last one of this deck but I digress...I still do agree with you that Demonic Tutor would have more of an impact. I'll pick up a cheaper copy sometime and test it out. I won't make an official change until i'm ready.
DiabeticFire, thanks again for keeping up with my deck and i'm flattered that you would like to pilot a version of your own. In this post i'll address your card suggestions, as to my thoughts on your card choices i'll address those in a later response.
Shared Animosity - This card seems to be more at home in a aggro deck, however I still want to give it some consideration. My deck has a slant more toward control, but it is indeed a midrange deck. Perhaps this is just the thing I needed to help give me a more viable aggro strategy when some of my combo pieces get removed. I want to test this card out. For now, it's in the same lane of consideration as Diabolic Tutor for a possible replacement for Unnatural Selection.
Cover of Darkness - This decks is already packed with evasion in the form of Shifting Sliver, Galerider Sliver, Winged Sliver and to a lesser degree, Striking Sliver and Bonescythe Sliver. This card does add another option, but the evasion options for this deck are already very well populated and aren't in need of more options.
Unclaimed Territory - interesting that you'd compare this to Gemstone Mine when it's really a strictly worse Cavern of Souls. I do see your argument that not having to worry about mining counters it's primary advantage over Gemstone, it's draw back just simply doesn't make it worth it as there are plenty of other cards in the deck that aren't slivers. What could hurt more is not being able to play a Counterspell when needed. I'll think it over, but for now I just don't see it as a viable replacement.
4 months ago
I have a sliver deck as well & will make a few suggestions if i may? Crystalline Sliver is by far the best sliver ever printed, imo, but he is not legal in Modern- & the next best thing is Diffusion Sliver! Diffusion Sliver &/or Opaline Sliver are crucial to playing slivers, since targeted removal is a sliver-deck's greatest enemy.. & unlike many sliver-abilities, their abilities actually stack, so with 2 Diffusion Slivers in play, a Path to Exile or Fatal Push or Lightning Bolt would cost FIVE mana just to take out one of your slivers.. I see you have 2 Diffusion Sliver, but since he is so important to keep your engine going, i personally prefer to run 3 of them (they are not aggressive enough to run 4x though, imo). Sentinel Sliver is amazing, & i would recommend 2x in every sliver deck! You can even attack, then use tapping abilities during 2nd Main Phase, effectively giving you a 2nd turn in comparison to running without him. Megantic Sliver is a total game-changer, and i have found 2x Megantic to be very very good. I run 4x Manaweft to be able to cast him, though, plus 1x Gemhide Sliver. Groundshaker Sliver is pretty bad.. I think Battering Sliver is actually better, but he is pretty bad too, imo.. I would cut them in fvor of Megantic Sliver. For a mana-base, 4x Sliver Hive is worth every penny, and 4 Ancient Ziggurat is nearly the same thing for about $1 (that is if you cut some of the sorceries, which i would personally cut all of them in favor of more slivers!). I think Spinneret Sliver is pretty terrible when you could be running Galerider Sliver as a 1-drop with a better ability. Predatory Sliver should be a 4-of, as should Sinew Sliver, which i am surprised to not see here. With 4x Venom Sliver, i would definitely recommend running at least 2x each of Striking Sliver & Bonescythe Sliver!! Another good card to run with the deathtouch is Quilled Sliver, though i wouldn't run more than 1-2 since his targets are limited to attacking/blocking creatures. Blur Sliver is ok, but i have found that cutting him is better- by the time you cast him, you should have other slivers in play, and every single sliver gives its ability to every other sliver, with or without the haste. I would rather give the slivers already in play more abilities instead of giving the cards yet to be played the ability to do the SAME THING as all the other slivers one turn earlier . Since it doesn't help with Predatory/Sinew's ability, i would cut Hardened Scales in favor of something like Collected Company. Harmonic Sliver is a must-have sideboard card, and i run 1x in my mainboard as well. Remember that Virulent Sliver has POISONOUS 1, not Infect- what this means is that your pump spells don't add any additional poison counters to your opponent; each sliver will only give them one poison counter when it connects (unless the pump is from Double Strike! More reason to play Bonescythe Sliver! That would double the poison counters as well). Anyways, sorry for the rant, but hopefully I've given you some ideas! I love slivers!! A couple more fun slivers as 1-ofs are Pulmonic Sliver and Telekinetic Sliver.. so many awesome abilities! Check out my Slivershod deck! My nephew played my Sliver deck against me with my Zombie deck and ended up swinging at me with 150+ damage at once, with Flying, Deathtouch, Double Strike, Lifelink, Indestructible, & a Diffusion Sliver!! That just shows how insanely out of hand they can get if they go un-checked. Good luck!
4 months ago
Through all of my experience playing slivers, I have found that Bonescythe Sliver tends to be a dead card. If you even get the ability to cast it, it will most likely get countered, and if it hits the field they are going to kill it before you can deal damage with it. So instead I started running Leeching Sliver. It doesn't double the damage but it gives unblockable damage which can be a game changer. Also, in the sideboard I would recommend 2x Warping Wail for board wipes and other threats, dropping the Screeching Sliver and Belligerent Sliver, and in the mainboard I would move the Leeching Sliver from the sideboard to replace Striking Sliver and Venom Sliver, since both of those won't do much as 1 ofs.
4 months ago
if you're willing to add some more expensive slivers, i would personally recommend the Bonescythe Sliver, as it doubles the damage output of your sliver, while allowing for them to stay alive. it also pairs well with the Bonesplitter Sliver to add some serious damage
4 months ago
5 months ago
So, I was scrolling through my comments, and forgot that I didn't actually answer you Troys50:
@LVL_666 I had heard this from my friends that this was not the case, that quad healing wasn't something possible with Essence Sliver. Guess you can't trust your friends, huh? Hail the Brood Queen! Bows
To answer your question: Your friends are 100% WRONG. If you refer the accordion up top, and go to: The Hivestone > The Strategy > Combos and Synergies and look at Syphon Sliver + Essence Sliver I explain everything at length. When they doubt you, just point them straight to that section, and it will silence them. With slivers, it is actually possible to get DECUPLE-life gain. Yes. That's right. If you have 4x Essence Slivers, 1x Syphon Sliver, and 1x Bonescythe Sliver in play then that's 4 separate triggered effects and 1 static effect going on two times in one strike. Say it with me now: DECUPLE-LIFE-GAIN. (that means times ten). Mind you it can only in a casual game. But it can happen. So tell your friends to stick that in their pipe and smoke it for ever doubting the queen's majesty.
6 months ago
if you need some more finishing power, maybe a Megantic Sliver or two could help push them up in power, though they do cost a lot of mana, i play EDH so I'm not sure n how much mana you are looking to accrue in a game.another few id really suggest are Venom Sliver (makes for great defense, Hunter Sliver (once you get some deathtouch, make em kill themselves on your creatures, and Bonescythe Sliver will help double up on damage while providing that same 'first hit' that Striking Sliver does for death touch to take effect.and if you find you're ever dying too quickly, Syphon Slivers are never a bad thing to help keep your life up