Creature — Sliver
Sliver creatures you control have "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, put a +1/+1 counter on it."
Printings View all
|Modern Horizons (MH1)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Tempered Sliver Discussion
6 months ago
I love Slivers, and am more than excited to give you my two cents- however, I have a major pet peeve when it comes to deck descriptions, specifically the lack of a deck description which your page has. When you don't include a detailed description it's hard for me to get a feel for how you want to your deck to play. Plus, it'll be a big help for you as you can put some thought into how you want your Sliver deck to play...as Slivers are the most flexible tribe in all of magic (and for those of you who doubt that, or want to argue- fight me :P). So yeah, get your deck description right- here are some resources you can use to help you get started:
End Rant. So, onward onto actual suggestions. Since you're running Sliver Overlord you are going to go for a more control oriented deck. You'll likely want to focus on Slivers that help you keep a stranglehold on the board as you won't need any of the Lord Sliver s. They're simply irrelevant as you are rarely going to be swinging wide with this commander. I would just include the one Sliver Lord that actually matters: Sliver Legion .
- Acidic Sliver - sacrificing Slivers is never ideal unless you are getting the better end of the deal. Sac-ing a Sliver to deal a paltry 2 damage isn't worth it. Cut.
- Diffusion Sliver - doesn't really work in commander. Paying an extra to remove a pesky creature in Commander is hardly a tax. This card is only good in standard where you could play multiple copies of this card, and make that tax potentially or . Cut.
- Morophon, the Boundless feels more like a win-more card - essentially it's a card that only helps you if you're already ahead. Cut.
- Opaline Sliver - generally, you don't want your Slivers to be targeted at all by your opponents(hint Crystalline Sliver ) - not to mention this card is a total non-combo or non-bo with the previously mentioned sliver. Cut.
- Shadow Sliver - losing the ability to block for evasion is a risky gamble. Since Overlord is the more Control oriented Sliver and doesn't really encourage an aggro play style this sliver will rarely afford you an advantage. You have better options for evasion in the deck already (in my opinion.) Cut.
- Tempered Sliver - This Sliver only benefits you if you were playing a more aggro style deck - and also if you could play multiple copies. Getting a +1/+1 counter only if your slivers can hit the opponent is okay...but I think you could better use the card slot for something else. Cut.
- Virulent Sliver - This Sliver is cute, but unfortunately doesn't offer much in the way of a valid alternate win option. Definitely another win-more card, as you'll need 10 separate instances of combat damage on each opponent. Honestly, that's not really feasible in my opinion - unless you had 4 of these in your deck. But alas, that is a Sliver that doesn't really benefit you. Cut.
- Ward Sliver - This one i'm a little bit uncertain on as protection can be incredibly handy depending on the circumstance - but for ? That's a hefty asking price. I think you could put that mana to better use elsewhere. Cut.
So that's it for my recommendations regarding what Slivers to cut. As for the rest of you deck, i'll save those recommendations for when you can give me a bit more information on how you want your deck to play - are you looking for a more aggro play style? If so, i'd recommend Sliver Hivelord or Sliver Legion honestly - but that's for a later conversation. Look forward to your response - i'm always happy to see another Sliver deck - Chitinous Approval Ensues
9 months ago
6/22 Update: Adding some Modern Horizon Slivers and Synergies
10 months ago
So many replies, so many thoughts! The spoilers have been late have got me so excited! Let me respond to one thing at a time:
Odysseus_97, Honestly, Morophon, the Boundless doesn't appeal to me on an aesthetic level. The art is rather "meh", but it's "Spells of the chosen type you cast cost less to cast. This effect reduces only the amount of coloured mana you pay." does have my attention. A cmc of does leave this card strictly in the mid-late game bomb territory. I'm going to be honest, I haven't come to a conclusion on what to do with this. But it's...interesting.
_Delta_, I heard about the new slivers from my playgroup and knew that Lavabelly Sliver was an auto include. Why? Simple: It's a new Sliver Queen game ending combo: Sliver Queen + Basal Sliver + Lavabelly Sliver - with all three on the battlefield, all that's required is to activate Sliver Queen 's ability to generate a Sliver Token. That token will have Lavabelly Sliver 's ETB effect - draining 1 point of damage from any target. Sacrifice that token for , to generate...yes you guessed it another Sliver creature token. It's simply rinse, wash, repeat - until all non-slivers (or rival hives) are dead. Now, what do I cut? I think it has to be Blur Sliver or Winged Sliver . The verdict is still out. Blur Sliver has more functionality while Winged offers evasion. I'll experiment between the two. Dregscape Sliver and Tempered Sliver also crossed my radar as well. I feel like Hibernation Sliver does the job of protecting slivers on the battlefield a bit better than Dregscape Sliver . Tempered Sliver belongs in more aggro based decks, but it is a very nice sliver. Now, onto the 800 lbs. elephant in the room - The First Sliver . I have to have it. I haven't figured out exactly what to do with it...but I have to have it. But what to cut? I'm still thinking on that.
DGenerationX61, I've got two words for ya! I jest. WWF was pretty awesome. But back to the topic at had - I have my hand on F5 refreshing like crazy. I can't wait to see what else Wizards has in store. I was so desperate for new Slivers I started making up my own - you can see my "dream sliver" posted in the comments somewhere lol. I can't wait to tweak this deck with new Slivers.