|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Search your library for a card, then shuffle your library and put that card on top of it. You lose 2 life.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Cruel Tutor Discussion
6 days ago
3 weeks ago
Hey, i'd like to give you my opinion on some of the (not overpowered) cards you might be missing and some that i think underperform in this deck after some time playing with Meren.
- Golgari Charm: This card always disappoints me. Every effect on this card is not very appealing for Meren, the only good board state i see myself playing this is if my opponent has a couple mana dorks and for some reason i have nothing on board. If you are worried about infinite combos that involve some enchantment i'd play Krosan Grip or Viridian Zealot considering you already have Acidic Slime and Reclamation Sage.
- Buried Alive: This card is a must. You can throw some mana dorks, sack outlets or the all-star Spore Frog to your graveyard on early game to start the engine or find some finishers on late game.
- Liliana, Heretical Healer Flip: Play this for control matchups to support the Mindslicer effect, very easy to flip and can reanimate your low CMC creatures for some great value.
- Living Death: Weird card, i can't think of an appropiate board state where i'd like to play this. If your engine is working you usually have more creatures on the battle field rather than your graveyard. If the engine is not working you probably have an empty graveyard or not much value there anyway. Dont think of Meren as a dredge deck that will fill your graveyard with value in a couple turns, most games the value is in your hand or rotating between your battlefield and graveyard.
- Dusk Legion Zealot + Elvish Visionary (The card advantage engine): I've been impressed by the performance of "one shot" draw spells like Altar's Reap,Night's Whisper or Sign in Blood on my decks as 2-mana draw two, with Altar's Reap beign an awesome top deck in mid to late game. Of course i play this with repeatable card draw like Phyrexian Arena or Sylvan Library
- Yahenni, Undying Partisan + Wrath: I've won some matches with this combo and Yahenni is a great sack outlet as its very hard to deal with
- A bit Enchantment heavy: ive found Evolutionary Leap to be somewhat disappointing. Try All Is Dust + From Beyond instead of Awakening Zone for some ramp/colorless emergency removal as backup against obnoxious cards such as Iona, Shield of Emeria. Duplicant works aswell.
- No tutors?: Cruel Tutor, Worldly Tutor or even Diabolic Tutor are fair cards that will help you find answers more efficiently than pure card advantage
- Shady Finishers: Gray Merchant of Asphodel loves Grave Titan or Razaketh, the Foulblooded. Even Avenger of Zendikar with all the basic land fetching you can do would work better than Regal Behemoth or Massacre Wurm i think.
3 weeks ago
Hey there Surreality Foil could be a budget Force of Will. As for Imperial Seal, Cruel Tutor serves the exact same function at the cost of additional mana. Sadly I couldn't find budget alternatives for the other cards.
1 month ago
Vampiric Tutor, Demonic Tutor, Diabolic Intent, Infernal Tutor, Buried Alive, Cruel Tutor, Doomsday, Grim Tutor, Diabolic Revelation, Increasing Ambition, Beseech the Queen, Rune-Scarred Demon and finally Razaketh, the Foulblooded!
1 month ago
Hey there! Sorry it's taken me so long to get to this; I've been very busy the past few days. Your deck looks like a very well-built combo deck; I don't know how much of a help I'm going to be able to be. My biggest suggestion would probably just be more tutors and ways to find your combo pieces: Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, Deep Analysis, Jace, Vryn's Prodigy Flip, Imperial Seal, Cruel Tutor, etc. I know adding those cards would make you go above your budget, but quite frankly, that's really the only thing I think your deck needs; you appear to be in a great place already. Sorry I can't be more helpful, but that's all I've got.
If you'd like more suggestions/feedback on this deck or another deck in the future, feel free to leave a comment on my profile!
3 months ago
Also, a full set of Zendikar fetches and Ravnica Shocklands
3 months ago
4 months ago
Thanks for a quick reply!
I have a few more questions:
And regarding the deck tactics:
What do you usually do with Marchesa the first time you play her, if all of your opponents are open? And even if they are not, do you still attack to tempt somebody to take The Monarch? Or do you protect The Monarch as long as possible?
And do you always attack somebody with the deathtouch tokens and beaters whenever they are guaranteed to land a hit if you don't need more protection? I'm asking, because the damage does not always seem significant, but it does make people hate you way faster, kind of undermining the original plan.