Put two 1/1 colorless Sliver creature tokens onto the battlefield.
|Have (2)||goldshot20 , gildan_bladeborn|
Printings View all
|Magic 2014 (M14)||Common|
|Promo Set (000)||Common|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Hive Stirrings Discussion
4 weeks ago
2 months ago
Hey there! Thank you so much for your feedback Fun fact: not so long ago you wrote such a good comment like this on my friends angel tribal deck mono white indestructeble plays . I was green with envy over the awesome feedback he got, you wouldnt believe my face when i saw your name in my inbox :D
I have noticed the new lands coming in Ikoria and you bet i am excited for'em!!!
Here are some notes on why i have speccific cards and why not. Harmonic sliver: I got in in a mystery booster in foil and thought it would be nice to have in there Belbe's portal: I also got this one in a mystery booster and thought i'd keep it in a sideboard if i ever wanted to get it Quicksilver portal also look very nice if i can get it :) Hive stirrings: I put it in mostly because i thought it could help me out early and i also thought: Hey, look at that! A sliver sorcery!
The reason i havent used green for any mana ramp is simply because i dont know if i would need it yet. I have never played a deck with this many mana rocks and lands and i have never played a 5 colored deck either. I thought that with so many lands and so many mana rocks i might survive.
My friend has a sliver deck that tries to do it all at the same time, that is why i've limited my slivers to slightly offensive ones and those who help me go infinite or work with the infinity combo, excluding Sliver Hivelord, who is there for the lolz. I intentionally chose not to include The First Sliver and Sliver Overlord.
Cards that i use for the infinity combo or that benefits from it: Use for infity : Basal Sliver, Mana Echoes, Intruder Alarm Benefit for infinity: Darkheart Sliver, Dormant Sliver, Lavabelly Sliver, Necrotic Sliver, Descendants' Path
What i might change when it comes to giving my commander more resiliance or possibly adding Swiftfoot Boots or Lightning Greaves i dont think that's a bad idea at all. If i remove Hive Stirrings and possibly another of the guild mana rocks i could get in Coalition Relic
If you were me, what would you remove in favor of what you've said earlier?
and also, im not so worried about Cyclonic Rift no one in our playgroup can afford it. I know this comes a little late but this deck is supposed to be my "High budgett deck". We usually dont play with so expensive decks in my playgroup, but i wanted to make one regardless, i will no doubt get to play it regardless. at our LGS or in the playgroup :)
Once again, thank you so much for the time you've spent to give me feedback. I appreciate it so very much. Stay Safe!
2 months ago
Fun deck - I like my slivers chunky! Some quick thoughts/suggestions:
- What's your win-con if someone has something like a Crawlspace or Norn's Annex out? Ashnod's Altar + Sliver Queen already gives you infinite ETBs and LTBs, maybe add Impact Tremors/Bastion of Remembrance/etc as an alternative win-con :)
- It might be worth adding Phyrexian Altar alongside your Ashnod's Altar
- Anointed Procession gives you twice as many slivers to work with, meaning the ETB/LTB works with Phyrexian Altar as well as Ashnod's Altar - as well as many other cards
- Be very careful with Harmonic Sliver and infinite slivers - it's not a 'may'! It's fine if you stack your triggers so all of your slivers destroy the same artifact/enchantment, otherwise you might be forced to destroy your own stuff. (Alternatively, you could go super-mean and add a copy of Enchanted Evening alongside Harmonic Sliver to destroy all of your opponents permanents...)
- If you decide that you'd rather go down the non-infinite route, Vanquisher's Banner is a great card to make sure you're always drawing more gas! Cycling lands would also help that draw issue.
- Speaking of - the new triome cycle that is coming up in Ikoria (e.g Indatha Triome) will fit very nicely in your deck! They've also got all of the land types so can be fetched by more types of fetchland - not that you've got those in the deck :)
- Mind if I ask why Hive Stirrings is in the deck?
- FYI Quicksilver Amulet does the same as Belbe's Portal in this deck - though it costs more mana after the first activation :) Since you have Sliver Queen as your preferred 5-drop, it might be worth swapping the artifacts so that you have a 4-drop 'instant summoner' instead of a 5-drop. It also gives you plays even if you're stuck on 4 lands.
- I'm glad you haven't added Cathars' Crusade! It's a very powerful card for this type of deck, but I'll be the first to tell you that it's incredibly painful trying to keep track of all the +1/+1 counters.
You mentioned being unsure about the number of lands/mana rocks - most people operate on a '40 lands minus (number of rocks)/3' basis. Since you've got 7 forms of mana (I'm not counting Gilded Lotus since the top of your curve is 5 mana) this means 38 lands is probably about right. I've got a Narset deck with 36 lands, but that has 14 mana rocks! (Speaking of, Coalition Relic is a really great mana rock, especially when you need different colours of mana.)
(If you're really wanting to optimise your mana base, then it's worth thinking when you're likely to play certain cards. [T1->land, T2->land+rock] means that you'll have 4 mana to play with on T3 instead of the usual 3. If you have loads of 2CMC rocks then that means you'll probably want to have more 4CMC spells instead of 3CMC spells - but I don't think that level of mana optimisation is something you need to worry about in this deck or in casual EDH!)
I notice that you've not got any land-ramp in the deck even though you have green available. I'd really encourage you to add some cards like Cultivate and Kodama's Reach, since they also act like card draw as well as ramp, and mean you're much more likely to hit your 5 lands on T5. Also, people are much less likely to steal or destroy your lands than your artifacts, and using land-based ramp means you're in a much better situation to catch back up if someone Cyclonic Rifts the battlefield.
Hope that's given you some food for thought. Let me know if you want me to clarify any of the above!
3 months ago
MortlockeHi, thanks for all the suggestion i will carefully look at them and decide what to add, a lot of the choices i will not add as i have a budget and most of the expensive cards i have in this deck i already had or found them extremely cheap due to the conditions of the cards. Some things to cut i might not as they have proved helpful to me when i was playing against others Constricting Sliver and Leeching Sliver helped me win once or twice, although i don't fully mind cutting leeching sliver, i definitely wont cut Constricting sliver. As for Diffusion Sliver as many times as i had it out many opponents didn't want to pay the 2 so it proved to be some defence for me until i set up, although i get your point about the card not been that good in this format (i might cut it). I will add Brood Sliver and cut out the other token production which will free up some space for other adds, although Assemble the Legion did prove helpful in every battle i am still cutting it, as for Hive Stirrings i had it in the deck and i cut it because it wasn't doing anything for me and it was taking up space i rather have that card in my modern sliver deck.
Anyways thanks again for the suggestions i will look at them carefully and decide what i can add.
3 months ago
In regards to sideboards - they don't exist in EDH. This is a singleton format where players bring their decks as they are. So...unless those are cards you are considering for the deck - ya gotta cut em. Now here are some suggestions on what you could put in the deck to help it run more consistently:
- Manaweft Sliver: Like Gemhide Sliver but better.
- Worldly Tutor/Congregation at Dawn: These are tutors that have synergy with your commander (who must already be in play). Tutor for the 1 (or 3 slivers that each have a CMC 1 less than the other} and place it on top of your library. When casting Congregation at Dawn you can stack 3 slivers each with 3 different CMCs and - voalá you have 2 more Slivers coming into play.
- Skyshroud Claim/Pir's Whim/Nature's Lore/Sliver Hive/City of Brass/Exotic Orchard/Reflecting Pool/Chromatic Lantern/: For a 5c deck you have woefully little ramp/manafixing.
- Path to Exile/Swords to Plowshares/Anguished Unmaking/Krosan Grip/Beast Within/Generous Gift/Counterspell/Swan Song/Mana Leak/Arcane Denial/Forbid: Your deck has very little interaction - making you just a passive victim when your opponents decide it's time to deal with you - or when your opponents are going off. You need to be able to act. Slivers aren't passive creatures, and neither should you be when piloting them.
HONORABLE MENTIONS FOR ADDITIONAL CUTS: I know I went over a bunch of cuts in my previous post, but here are some more suggestions -
- Assemble the Legion/Retreat to Emeria/Birthing Boughs: You don't need Sliver Queen to make more tokens in an efficient manner. Allow me to introduce you to Brood Sliver and Hive Stirrings. Why go throught the trouble of making a janky combo that creates soldier tokens/changelings in cheap Sliver costumes when you could just...make Slivers? You also have the added flavor of getting double the tokens per combat damage assignment step when you have both Brood Sliver and Bonescythe Sliver out on the battlefield. Worse yet - Legion, Emeria and Boughs have absolutely no synergy with your commander outright. you have to hope you have Hivestone on the battlefield. AND THEN even if you have alll of the parts and pieces on the board you have literally zero cards in your deck that are CMC 0 - as tokens have a CMC of 0 - creating a total non-bo that just allows you to only be able to shuffle your library. That's it.
5 months ago
The problem with this is the mana base is horrible for this type of deck. 18 lands in three colors with 11 basics is not going to cut it, especially when you have 1-drops in every single color. I would go -4 metallic (slivers that do nothing are horrible), -4 virulent (it does next to nothing), + 2 plated, + 2 sidewinder (you need every single lord you can get, toughness lord and reverse lord are pretty decent) -4 striking (reducing the one-drops) + 3 lands + 2 Hive Stirrings + 3 Rancor (rancor is generally better than striking sliver)
Consider also Sentinel Sliver as it works well with the tap to deal 1 damage sliver.
6 months ago
- Gemhide Sliver is common and can be used to fuel non-sliver spells.
- Pulse of Murasa is decent retrieval and lifegain at instant speed.
- Mutagenic Growth / Vines of Vastwood for cheap instant speed buffs. Maybe even Sigil Blessing is something to consider here.
- Hive Stirrings for more slivers?
- Rootborn Defenses and Sundering Growth are both solid cards with the addition of populating.
8 months ago
Exotic Orchard and Krosan Verge can both be of help to your manabase. Orchard is going to produce at least 3 of the colors you need, Verge can fetch non-basics [getting Foundry and Pool for example] will often get you 4 of your colors.
Not sure you're getting a lot out of Hive Stirrings . For the mana I'd be using my commander to get exactly what I needed.