Creature — Human Wizard
When Overwhelmed Apprentice enters the battlefield, each opponent puts the top two cards of their library into their graveyard. Then you scry 2. (Look at the top two cards of your library, then put any number of them on the bottom of your library and the rest on top in any order.)
Printings View all
|Throne of Eldraine (ELD)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Overwhelmed Apprentice Discussion
2 weeks ago
I get why you put the Green X spells in there, but they'll kill you the same time they kill your opponents, which I don't think you want. Midnight Gond is an easy combo but they're dead cards on their own.
The elixir is barely useful, since you barely have any tap abilities to start with. For that reason, consider changing the mana dorks to mana rocks. Flickering a dork only slows them down, while Brago can flicker rocks, meaning they can be used again.
The counterspells I suggested are better for you because you want to make sure your opponents ETB abilities don't trigger when you flicker them. Once a creature is actually on the field, Roon can handle them.
3 weeks ago
I think you will be fine at 23 lands because of the amount of scry you have. I have been trying something like this on arena, but only with mill as a secondary win condition, so it's a bit different. Some thoughts:
For me I couldn't survive without Deputy of Detention. It is powerful removal, and you can use it early and then you can bounce it to hit larger targets later in the game.
Forbidding Spirit is a great card to counter aggro. Stops them from building up, and you can bounce it keep them slow. I run 4 of them, but I would at least put a couple in the sideboard.
I know you took the Spark Double out, but it is a versatile card.
I would take out at least 1 maybe 2 of Thassa, Deep-Dwelling because of the legendary status. Even though it's really powerful.
If you get three battlements out (or spark double copies) they can cycle forever and suck in at least one card to bounce infinitely with them. So Charming Prince could be infinite life or Overwhelmed Apprentice would be infinite mill.
1 month ago
I would add Overwhelmed Apprentice and Wall of Lost Thoughts as they both synergize with Thassa's flicker ability. I would cut the Nadir Kraken, it doesn't help the mill plan and you need to focus on milling since you have no way to prolong your game.
1 month ago
- Naru + Flicker + Overwhelmed Apprentice with infinite blink.
- Naru + Flicker + Duskmantle Guildmage with infinite mana.
Naru + Flicker makes infinite mana and infinite ETB triggers of Naru + permanents. To assemble this combo requires seven mana . At least one land or mana rock you target with Flicker needs to be able to ETB untapped that way you can tap it for mana and then blink it to repeat. Arcane Signet and Commander's Sphere are good with Flicker.
This combo can be done at instant speed which makes it powerful. It doesn't have to be instant though because after making infinite mana you can stop the combo by not targeting Naru with Flicker and then cast spells. To execute the combo at instant speed you'll want to have the mill win condition already on the battlefield or some way to flash in the win condition such as with Emergence Zone. Zone is very powerful for combos especially when you have infinite mana because then you can cast any cards at instant speed for the rest of the turn and have the mana to cast them.
If you don't have a win condition before you combo with Naru + Flicker then you can draw into one with infinite mana with Blue Sun's Zenith. With infinite mana and all cards from your library in your hand in one turn you can assemble with protection any of the other win condition combos such as cast Phenax + Eater + Greaves, etc.
If interested in adding these combos then I offer more advice. Good luck with your deck.
1 month ago
Massacar i will be commenting soon i need to check out you deck before i can offer advice but i wanted to repost this before it gets too late. My deck:
Commander / EDH*
SCORE: 5 | 5 COMMENTS | 585 VIEWS | IN 2 FOLDERS
ive taken some time to try and harness Chulane's gross bounce manipulation to make it more competitive with more win cons then just milling out to lab maniac. that said the best way ive found so far has been the addition of cards that will mill my opponents to some extent (Hedron Crab, Overwhelmed Apprentice & Manic Scribe) i figure if i dont use it as a main way to win at the very least the disruption to my opponents draws is the most economical way to spice Chulane up a bit. granted this is not beneficial against graveyard play/dredge decks but let me know what you guys/gals think, thanks for looking!!!
1 month ago
Mill is fun! I have some thoughts, though:
- A nice finisher might be Mind Grind, since that can be nice and damaging. You also have Consuming Aberration that can get quite large and quite lethal. (Quite quickly.)
- For the milling strategy, another option could be to go the route with Sphinx's Tutelage, which can add up quickly. I've toyed around with using Tutelage and Folio of Fancies to draw all the cards and empty all the opponents' libraries in record time. This could also be nice in combination with Into the Story; this might be a better route to consider instead of Memory Adept (and especially four copies).
- If you want the milling strategy, better planeswalkers than that Jace are Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver and Ashiok, Dream Render. The former helps you steal opponents' threats, while the latter is straight-up value milling plus exile (which is useful if dredge-like shenanigans are a thing).
- Other useful milling creatures are Minister of Inquiries, Overwhelmed Apprentice, and Manic Scribe, each with a bit of a different niche. (I like the Apprentice, since the bonus scry also sets up your draws.) You can also add Thing in the Ice Flip as a bonus finisher: if you cast four qualifying spells, the Thing flips and lets you re-use your Secretkeepers, Ministers, et al.
2 months ago
Yea, you're probably right. I wanted the scry from Overwhelmed Apprentice to make the deck more flowing, but I'll need the extra mill from Hedron Crab to make mill an actual win condition. I'm not sure about the extra Fields though, considering I wont have many cards which costs colorless mana. I'll put it in for now and try the balance of it.
2 months ago
While super spicy, I don't think it's viable. Doesn't affect the board when it comes down, doesn't give you rainbow mana for the exiled spells, and even restricts how many you can cast. You'd be in BG, probably; needs the green for ramp and more black for hand hate, as getting it countered would be incredibly painful. Probably needs U for mill, too. Overwhelmed Apprentice , Minister of Inquiries , maybe Merfolk Secretkeeper (eh).