Ob Nixilis of the Black Oath
Planeswalker — Nixilis
+2: Each opponent loses 1 life. You gain life equal to the life lost this way.
-2: Put a 5/5 black Demon creature token with flying onto the battlefield. You lose 2 life.
-8: You gain an emblem with ", Sacrifice a creature: You gain X life and draw X cards, where X is the sacrificed creature's power."
Ob Nixilis of the Black Oath can be your Commander.
|Have (2)||thirdwhirly , gildan_bladeborn|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Recommendations View more recommendations
Latest Decks as Commander
Ob Nixilis of the Black Oath Discussion
RicketyEng on None
2 months ago
Some clarification of Obby's timeline:
1) Ob Nixilis of the Black Oath conquered his home plane then sparked.
2) On his travels/conquests of other planes at some point he was attracted by The Chain Veil 's power. However he was cursed by it when he touched it and started becoming a demon.
3) He travelled to Zendikar in hopes of using its powerful and wild mana to stop or reverse his demonic transformation.
4) Upon his arrival on the plane its protector, Nahiri, the Lithomancer , implanted a hedron in his forehead which robbed him of his spark and caused his wings to wither and eventually die. Ob Nixilis, the Fallen
5) After a few thousand years Jace, the Mind Sculptor was trying to figure out how to help Garruk, the Veil-Cursed . He extracted the hedron from Ob Nixilis's forehead and managed to implant it in Garruk's arm. In both Ob Nixilis and Garruk the hedron had the effect of subduing the veil's curse. It brought some clarity to the mind of Garruk, Apex Predator .
6) I remember reading a story where Ob Nixilis, Unshackled was buried alive and he very gradually dug his way down and toward a power source he could sense. This is how he found the Khalni Heart which he first tried to use to reignite his spark before Nissa, Voice of Zendikar stopped him.
7) Utterly sick and tired of Zendikar at this point, and buried alive once more after his duel with Nissa, Nixilis vowed vengeance on the entire plane. He hijacked the Aligned Hedron Network when the Zendikari momentarily managed to trap Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger . Ob Nixilis Reignited managed to siphon off enough power from Ulamog to reignite his spark. He then broke Ulamog out of the hedron prison and summoned Kozilek to the surface. He took the time to easily defeat Nissa, Gideon, and Jace before leaving, but Chandra showed up in time to rescue them. At that point it wasn't worth the effort to stick around for any more petty vengeance so he left.
8) Ob Nixilis, the Hate-Twisted took part in the War of the Spark. He joined Karn, Samut, and Dack Fayden on their mission to close Tezzeret's Planar Bridge from the Amonkhet side (they travelled through the portal itself because of The Immortal Sun ). Tezzeret didn't put up much of a fight. Nixilis burned large swaths of the remaining Eternal army before planeswalking away.
9 months ago
You want to be left alone until you can cast your angels. Cards like Thalia, Heretic Cathar & Kambal, Consul of Allocation can help while the other players are going to hate you more. Making it a little harder in the mid/late game. I would defiantly skip Thalia, Heretic Cathar for that reason. Kambal, Consul of Allocation can at least deal damage and gain your life.
Lives are a resource for sure. Just watch out with Vona, Butcher of Magan that he will not suck you dry. That is a woman's job XD.
Killing Wave you want to cast for x is high. Do really want to pay that much life for all your creatures? I would skip this and play a real board wipe.
I think that you will not use Obzedat's Aid very well. You can get back an artifact (mostly ramp in your case) == bad. You can get back a planeswalker (if they got it away once, they can it again if you spent your turn on returning it) == (in my opinion) bad. You can get an enchantment back == good (in some cases). Most of the enchantment won't reach the graveyard. But it can good. You can get back a creature == good for less mana. There are a lot of better regeneration spells. They can be used more or for less.
That is why I would suggest not to play Obzedat's Aid. It is not mana efficient enough versus versatility.
Your creatures will not always be the biggest on the table. But why do you use Ethereal Absolution instead of the cheaper options? Glorious Anthem, Always Watching, Commander's Insignia, Force of Virtue or Spear of Heliod. Graveyard hate is a benefit. But I think you can spend your mana better than that.
True Conviction is good but watch that one. Ask yourself "Do I want to play it? Or do I prefer something else? When is this good and when is it bad?". I think that it is bad in most cases and too late when you need it.
I understand that you want the lifegain and ping from Sorin, Vengeful Bloodlord. But know that the -x you can use it on 9 creatures (for now) on the turn it enters the game. Also, remember that the lifegain is only for during your turn. Is it worth it?
I don't think that Ob Nixilis of the Black Oath can give you a lot of value. It can be me but I don't like this card.
Why Elspeth, Sun's Champion? You get tokens for 6 mana or destroy all your creatures and some of the opponent creatures. Is that worth it? Or do you play it because you have it lying around?
For Aetherflux Reservoir you probably will never be high enough with this on the board. You don't cast a lot of spells in a turn so you must be happy if you gain 3 lives in a round from it. This is not the deck for it.
Moonlight Bargain is 5 mana + 10 lives for draw 5. Promise of Power is the better version of it. It is on sorcery speed, but cost 5 lives less and you can also get a big beater from it if you pay extra.
For now I think that you are not using enough instant speed tricks that require you to hold up mana. That makes that when you hold up mana for Batwing Brume there is a big chance that you don't need it now and want to cast it later instead. Making you not spend some mana in the round. I would skip this card.
If I look at the curve then I would think about playing 36/37/38 lands. You need a lot of mana for your creatures and you miss green to ramp well. You can use cards like Hagra Mauling Flip & Ondu Inversion Flip to make it a little easier.
9 months ago
Krark, the Thumbless is arguably the most powerful partner revealed so far? I don't even think him going solo would be all that bad. Ironically, for my coin deck I'm hesitant to add him because his Thumb sets you up for taking things in an artifact direction rather than a spellslinger one.
Tevesh Szat, Doom of Fools: Man did this guy ever have the cheesiest title in the history of the multiverse, possibly intentionally so. Anyway, another decent partner card and much cooler than Ob Nixilis of the Black Oath. Run him with a -inclusive partner so that you can Threaten and enemy commander, use it for whatever, then eat it for three cards. Again, not terrible going solo at the helm of an aristocrats deck either. (Just don't invite Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder.)
10 months ago
1 year ago
A companion for Teferi, Temporal Archmage...
Deeadiin, Eternal Perfection
Legendary Creature - Elemental Illusion
Companion - Your starting deck contains only permanents
~'s power is equal to the number of cards in your hand
~'s toughness is equal to the number of nonland permanents you control
Tap four untapped permanents you control: Players may not cast noncreature spells this turn
I don't know if we want to do the entire 10 card command walker cycle, but I would at least like to see a companion for Ob Nixilis of the Black Oath.
1 year ago
I imagine Vivien becoming Temur, as she is both inquisitive and I can imagine her becoming enraged by the abuse of animals, as with Ixalan's Vampires. Sarkhan Unbroken is the sole Temur Planeswalker.
Vivien of Qal Sisma
Legendary Planeswalker - Vivien
+1: Create a 2/2 green Archer Shaman creature token with Reach. Draw a card.
-2: Vivien of Qal Sisma deals 3 damage to either each creature with flying or each creature without flying.
-9: Draw a card for each creature you control, then each player may put any number of creatures from their hands into play. Creatures you control gain haste and you may have them fight any number of target creatures.
I'd like a companion for a planeswalker commander (sentient or non-sentient, as Planeswalkers are kinda next-level) Ten options:
1 year ago
Ugin, the Spirit Dragon Temple of Silence Temple of Mystery Temple of Enlightenment Temple of Malice Temple of Deceit Temple of Malady Temple of Epiphany Temple of Abandon Temple of Plenty Temple of Triumph Manalith Goblin Engineer Boundless Realms Terramorphic Expanse Acidic Slime Fact or Fiction INSTEAD OF Brainstorm Dovin Baan Elspeth, Sun's Champion Garruk, Cursed Huntsman Kiora, the Crashing Wave Ob Nixilis, the Hate-Twisted Tamiyo, Collector of Tales Narset Transcendent Ob Nixilis of the Black Oath Vraska, Golgari Queen Vraska, Relic Seeker Vraska, Scheming Gorgon
2 years ago
Unless otherwise specified (as for Ob Nixilis of the Black Oath ), planeswalker cards cannot be used as commanders.