Fist of Suns
You may pay rather than pay the mana cost for spells that you play.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Fist of Suns Discussion
2 months ago
Hey, nice casual version of Ur-Dragon.
Your deck doesn't have an official Commander and Ur-Dragon is in the 99 main deck. In the deck editor at the end of The Ur-Dragon text add the CMDR tag.
The Ur-Dragon *F* *CMDR*
This will make Ur-Dragon the Commander, putting it in it's own Commander category and displaying an image of it's card.
Some steps you could take to increase the power level of your deck:
- Add a win condition combo with Dragons, Aggravated Assault + Savage Ventmaw .
- Add some counterspells replacing some removal spells, Counterspell , Dovin's Veto .
- Better ramp sources replacing some land ramp spells, Arcane Signet , Selvala, Heart of the Wilds .
- More creature tutors replacing some of the least good Dragons, Eladamri's Call , Worldly Tutor .
- Other ways to cheat Dragon onto the battlefield, Hellkite Courser , The Prismatic Bridge .
- Add cards to reduce the mana cost of Ur-Dragon, Jodah, Archmage Eternal , Fist of Suns .
- Cut Tri lands for Bond lands, Spire Garden , Rejuvenating Springs .
If interested I offer more advice. Good luck with your deck.
2 months ago
Hallo Draknoz, thank you for stopping by and sharing your ideas!
I thought about Defense of the Heart and Morophon, the Boundless for a long time and the reasons why they aren't both in the deck already transcend their playability. I have the first one in another deck and as a personal rule i try not to repeat the same cards in different decks to preserve their... i don't know how to call it, "sense of uniqueness". Regarding the second one, Morophon, i agree about the great synergy. It could be the only effective way to cast my commander since i removed Fist of Suns but... the problem is that i absolutely HATE its art.
I am aware that this is silly, but i just can't stand that moose pudding look and the obnoxious face. I don't want those dropping cheeks anywhere near my dragons!
Maybe in the future, if wotc ever reprint it with a new art...
Selvala's Stampede is a cool suggestion, i didn't knew the card! My concern about its possible use regards my deck's greatest weakness: on many occasions, my hand empties faster than it fills. Card draw it's a bit of a problem still and that's the reason why Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius is the deck and Shadrix Silverquill is in the Maybeboard. With an excessively light hand, Stampede risks to be a dead draw...
3 months ago
Hey, well done with a high budget for Dragons.
Some cards to consider upgrading:
- Rhystic Study --> Vanquisher's Banner
- Smothering Tithe --> Crucible of Fire
- Court of Bounty --> Dragon Arch
- Esika, God of the Tree Flip --> Commander's Sphere
- Dragon's Hoard --> Darksteel Ingot
- Faeburrow Elder --> Frontier Siege
- Fist of Suns --> Expedition Map
- Rhythm of the Wild --> Taigam, Ojutai Master
- Hellkite Courser --> Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury
- Goldspan Dragon --> Wasitora, Nekoru Queen
- Savage Ventmaw --> Tyrant's Familiar
- Dragonlord Ojutai --> Crosis, the Purger
- Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund --> Intet, the Dreamer
These upgrades range from $30 as the highest to less than $1, to give you many options. Smothering, Elder, Fist, Esika, Courser, Ventmaw and Goldspan all help to get Ur-Dragon faster. Dragons with effects to get Ur-Dragon faster are nice. Court of Bounty and The Prismatic Bridge are repeatable ways to cheat Dragons onto the battlefield for no mana cost.
Good luck with your deck.
4 months ago
Hmmm, I do think that the amount of colorless creatures (that are eldrazi compared) compared to "colored" eldrazi is not enough. Notice that Morophon, the Boundless , reduces the cost by WUBRG and any colorless eldrazi will not cost less. But the deck functions, and works AMAZING WITH Jodah, Archmage Eternal , and Fist of Suns . I would recommend some more tutors to get out combo pieces along with some nice card draw. The deck is rounded out but... it could do with some tweeks. Conduit of Ruin may be a colorless eldrazi but can make things cost less that are colored, Ugin, the Ineffable , Forerunner of Slaughter , and Flayer Drone , both do wonders... Forsaken Monument even buffs your "colored" eldrazi because of the devoid mechanic. Ulamog's Nullifier and Brood Butcher both can do wonders, Dryad of the Ilysian Grove and Dust Stalker , are great... Eladamri's Call , Vampiric Tutor , and Enlightened Tutor all work great, Bring to Light is also great as well.
4 months ago
Cool deck!! Looks fun.
Here are some thoughts.
First, I would add more ramp!!!
You have 8 ramp cards but i would go up to 12 or 14 easy.
Worn Powerstone , Palladium Myr , Thran Dynamo , Commander's Sphere , Skyclave Relic are all playable. Even 2 cmc rocks like the signets are good.
2nd, Fist of Suns seems central to your win con so i would add some tutors for it. Trophy Mage and Fabricate are good options in addition to your transmute cards.
Finally sorry to burst your bubble but desolation twin doesnt combo with eldrazi displacer bc it is an 'on cast' effect not ETB. However Peregrine Drake would be a great alternative.
Anyway just some thoughts, cheers and have fun!!!
6 months ago
Oh dang I didn't even think about that with the targeting rulings. Before I forget though, maybe Fist of Suns/Jodah, Archmage Eternal to ease the cost for Progentius, and maybe a Faeburrow Elder for ramp!
6 months ago
The second ability of Fires of Invention is a static ability that allows you to cast spells with an alternate casting cost in much the same way that Fist of Suns does. When casting a spell, you can choose to pay the normal cost or the alternate cost.
In this case, when casting Hangarback Walker, you could choose to either pay (the normal casting cost) or nothing (the alternate cost). If you choose to cast Hangarback Walker with the alternate cost of nothing, you won't be able to pay for X. This is reflected in the Gatherer Oracle ruling for Fires of Invention which states that "If a spell has in its mana cost, you must choose 0 as the value of X when casting it without paying its mana cost." If you wanted to pay for X, you would need to do so by casting Hangarback Walker for its normal casting cost.
Relevant Comprehensive Rules:
- 118.9. Some spells have alternative costs. An alternative cost is a cost listed in a spell’s text, or applied to it from another effect, that its controller may pay rather than paying the spell’s mana cost. Alternative costs are usually phrased, “You may [action] rather than pay [this object’s] mana cost,” or “You may cast [this object] without paying its mana cost.” Note that some alternative costs are listed in keywords; see rule 702.
- 118.9a Only one alternative cost can be applied to any one spell as it’s being cast. The controller of the spell announces their intentions to pay that cost as described in rule 601.2b.
Gatherer Oracle Ruling for Fires of Invention:
10/4/2019: If a spell has in its mana cost, you must choose 0 as the value of X when casting it without paying its mana cost.
8 months ago
Balaam__ did you play with it on tappedout? Also thank you. Jank is fun as hell. It used to have Greater Good so i could draw out every eldrazi in the deck but it was a little overkill and no sense in having all of the out when 1 usually wins. So Karn, the Great Creator was added, to make the Fist of Suns or Golos, Tireless Pilgrim get in play faster