Counter target instant spell if it's blue.
Draw a card at the beginning of the next turn's upkeep.
Printings View all
|Masters Edition II (ME2)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
1 week ago
If you want to take this deck to the next level, you should consider the following cards:
- Sensei's Divining Top
- Deafening Silence/Eidolon of Rhetoric/Rule of Law and Defense Grid: to slow down storm- and spellslinger-decks, to deny cardadvantage/ramp and to protect yourself against control and combodecks
- Lapse of Certainty/Mana Tithe/Burnout nobody expects white counters
- Your deck is lacking carddraw! Wheel of Fortune, Painful Truths, Necropotence, Heartwarming Redemption, Phyrexian Arena, Night's Whisper, Azra Oddsmaker & Dark Confidant (/Sign in Blood/Dawn of Hope)
- Toxic Deluge/Fire Covenant/Darksteel Mutation/Vandalblast/Grasp of Fate/Fiery Confluence(/Austere Command/Crush Contraband/Forsake the Worldly) - these are really good removals
- All the Moxes like Mox Opal, Mox Diamond etc.
- Lotus Petal, Rite of Flame to play your commanders on Turn 2
- Play some of the good 2 mana rocks like Orzhov Signet or Talisman of Conviction
- Land Tax & Wayfarer's Bauble (if you run enough basic lands, like now)
- Smothering Tithe - THE white staple and especially good with Wheel effects
- Imperial Recruiter, Recruiter of the Guard, Gamble or Diabolic Intent
- Play Stax to keep your opponents in check! Rest in Peace, Aura of Silence, Trinisphere, Cursed Totem, Hushbringer/Torpor Orb & Stranglehold
1 month ago
Your very top tier auto-include for lists is going to look like
- Force of Will "free"
- Pact of Negation "free"
- Swan Song cheap to cast and wide in restrictions
- Mana Drain color heavy but ramps the following turn
- Mental Misstep "free"
- Delay not color heavy and hits any spell, delaying for 3 turns is the same as solving it in very fast competitive EDH
Your situational includes are going to look like
- Force of Negation This can't protect your own combos, so it isn't wanted in every list. This is ran in QUITE A FEW lists though, always worth a consider.
- Counterspell Usually seen in mono or dual color decks as the cost can be hard in some 4 or 5 color shells
- Dispel Sometimes cut for a more general counter
- Muddle the Mixture Limited in scope and color heavy but this is more often slotted as a hard-to-counter tutor with a counterspell as icing on the top
- Narset's Reversal this card is pretty nice. While it does see a lot of play, it definitely isn't an autoinclude yet by any means.
- Spell Pierce Before you mock this card, consider how well it catches ultra fast mana rocks and tutors. Noncreature is very wide, and it stops Sol Ring Mana Crypt Mox Diamond Mox Opal Chrome Mox Mox Amber Mana Vault Vampiric Tutor Imperial Seal Mystical Tutor Worldly Tutor Gamble Dark Ritual and SO MUCH MORE. Even for a tempo card, you're still going to catch weird stuff like someone's Rhystic Study because they tapped out to pay for it. Its very strong against blistering fast combo decks, which is why it sees competitive play.
Other blue stuff is usually just too expensive. Paying over 2 mana for a counterspell just doesn't cut it when there are so many threats for so cheap. Don't pay more than 2 for a counterspell unless it does something wild on top. Counterspells with fewer restrictions on what it can counter are going to be better.
This is where it gets saucy boys
- Red Elemental Blast Pyroblast are VERY good. In a pod, there is almost definitely blue at the table. Every single red deck can slot these for commander without fear. Do note that REB works against any spell that includes blue (multicolor), while pyro only works against spells that are ONLY blue (monocolor).
- Fork Reverberate (Twincast) these allow you to copy a counterspell to create a counterspell. More access for red to counterspells. They also conveniently work very well against tutors, ramp, big draw spells, and extra turn spells.
- Guttural Response Weird hybrid color and somewhat restricted but still a good include in most RG decks.
- Burnout a bit worse then the elemental blasts as it costs 2 mana and it is limited. The cantrip is nice though
- Mana Tithe not that good in EDH but give it a whirl I guess
- Lapse of Certainty costing 3 hurts, but this is more a tempo card than anything.
- Dash Hopes Don't play this card in EDH lol
- Withering Boon on the chunkier end at 2 CMC, but in a color that doesn't get much of this. The 3 life and the restriction hurt, but definitely EDH playable. Every deck runs a commander, 99% of which are creatures
- Imp's Mischief can counter a spell by having it target Mischief, as can Misdirection Shunt Swerve and Ricochet Trap.
- Veil of Summer 1 mana green Cryptic Command
- Autumn's Veil Counterspell + silence against UB
- Bind I bet you didn't even know this card existed. Cantrips. GOOD IN THE YISAN MIRROR MATCH?
- Avoid Fate Weird protection oriented counterspell
- Nether Void Mostly ran in stax builds, brutal lockout card
- Planar Chaos One of my new favorite cards. Brutal with recursion like Hall of Heliod's Generosity. Play when you're ahead
- Deathgrip Lifeforce These are based if you have any method of color shifting. Realistically, you could run Lifeforce in Momir Hackball. These cards can cause scoops on casual tables lol.
- Vexing Shusher can render counterspells useless. Similarly, Dosan the Falling Leaf Grand Abolisher Prowling Serpopard Gaea's Herald can all protect against counterspells. Far more marginal but still worthwhile are Hall of Gemstone and Ritual of Subdual for turning off counterspells for opponents.
2 months ago
Thrill of Possibility is quite good, very modular and draw, works great with Worldgorger Dragon , Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker , Karmic Guide even a Razaketh, the Foulblooded is a great recursion target and wins the game. It's on my maybe, still evaluating what comes out for it. Hoping to get a really good evaluation of Dockside Extortionist today.
I need to get Abeyance in for sure to stop Thassa's Oracle - Protean Hulk , doesn't stop Thassa's Oracle - Demonic Consultation though sadly, so not sure. Pyroblast and Red Elemental Blast should probably go in to move toward cEDH.
I'm trying to decide if I should abandon a damage line (currently combo/synergy/combat damage), since I almost exclusively win with Buried Alive + Reanimate right now, and solid secondary in Leonin Relic-Warder line and tertiary with Worldgorger Dragon and strong synergies in Razaketh, the Foulblooded (pulls the Leonin Relic-Warder combo) and Master of Cruelties .
Some cards I'm considering cutting for Abeyance (at least) and Thrill of Possibility , Avacyn, Angel of Hope , Balefire Dragon , Gisela, Blade of Goldnight , Mother of Runes which would make Diabolic Intent and Mausoleum Secrets worse and maybe unplayable, Steelshaper's Gift although a haste/shroud Kaalia of the Vast into a Razaketh, the Foulblooded into a win is very good, Talisman of Conviction but feel pretty low in mana sources as-is, plus Mox Diamond isn't in my printed deck (saving up store credit at Card Kingdom), Yawgmoth's Will . I did put Aven Mindcensor in for Serra Ascendant , changes the type of pressure I can put on early. May decide to take him out, usually my strategy is put in more tutors/go for win and try and win first but the Fish is just too fast and too low CMC and too hard to disrupt. Not going as far as Burnout
Hushbringer shuts down so much of my deck (and combos), it's tough to get around, then I'll have to find removal for my own creature, but maybe Diabolic Intent it for Buried Alive and then Mausoleum Secrets for Reanimate off her, but the mana cost is too much.
Lot's to think about, likely needed Pyroblast and Red Elemental Blast in too, but until Jan 24th (think that's when it becomes legal to play), not in a rush. In reality all the top commanders are anyway and piggyback on similar combos.
2 months ago
Didn't get any games in this weekend, plus trying to make a plan for Thassa's Oracle , not going to be able to keep Red Elemental Blast or Pyroblast out anymore with Flash and Protean Hulk T1/T2 now. Not sure I'm ready for the stax of Hushbringer . Abeyance or Silence don't seem to do anything. Praetor's Grasp to high CMC for me, been happy with Thoughtseize . Angel's Grace and Ad Nauseam back in? Burnout probably has to go in, need 3 spots. I'm not even sure if an efficient instant draw spell to target the opponent would be useful, if one existed.
Necromancy works with Worldgorger Dragon and Leonin Relic-Warder , but I have Dance of the Dead in temporarily testing it. I also have Corpse Dance in testing with Dockside Extortionist . Deciding if Dockside Extortionist is good enough on own without the Infinite interaction with Corpse Dance , if the combo is viable (i don't think so, still needs sac outlet), or whether Dockside Extortionist is just a little too slow and frees up 2 slots. No room for Shallow Grave ATM, need to find the above interaction slots as well.
Need to find a way to win on T2 consistently as well, might have to keep increasing my T1 win draw probability, and T2 and sacrifice T3-T5 to try and get there faster. Changes are costing me efficiency on Diabolic Intent , will not be good if I lose that. Mox Opal cheap now, but the probabilities numbers still don't make sense to contribute to enough T1 wins vs. T1 dead draws. Wishclaw Talisman could help with good artifact count.
Angel of Despair may come out for the instant since she stops Show and Tell + Omniscience but not Thassa's Oracle . Might be her time. Balefire Dragon , Avacyn, Angel of Hope , move away from a damage line Gisela, Blade of Goldnight . Have about 12 cards on my potential cut list anyways, just have to decide how to stop the fish. Other than the efficiency of The Gitrog Monster , all the top commanders are , they need to stop printing OP cards, but let's ban CMC9 Iona, Shield of Emeria because it's no fun, but let's make win on T1 more consistently, just such strange thinking IMHO.
Will keep you posted on how things go.
2 months ago
Honestly Wizards should just print a “fixed version” of Protean Hulk in the next commander set that can’t be broken with combos. Part of the reason Hulk is unbanned is the fact its fun to play with in casual decks. I don’t know how you go about making a fixed version, but removing the casual-play factor probably would have made it easier to reban again. Flash and the Oracle aren’t a problem together until you introduce the Protean Hulk to the mix. If I have to mainboard Burnout because my Red Elemental Blast and Pyroblast aren’t enough that should be a clear sign there’s a problem. As a non-blue player Protean Hulk needs to be banned until the day other colors get access to hard counter spells - never.
3 months ago
4 months ago
Each color has at least one counterspell, and each are conditional within the context of their own flavor for said color.
For example, red hates artifacts so Artifact Blast makes sense in red.
Similarly, Dash Hopes makes sense in black because it allows life to be paid to circumvent the card.
As long as a card mechanically and flavorfully makes sense within it's established color philosophy, it only bends the rules.
Mistcutter Hydra is a giant creature, whom Green loves.
Burnout makes a lot less sense and is another example of cards that break the pie. You shouldn't be able to counter AND draw in red for 2cmc, one being generic.
So it's more so about HOW those cards get things done and much less about THAT they get those things done.