|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Return to Ravnica||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Human Shaman
Whenever Wild Beastmaster attacks, each other creature you control gets +X/+X until end of turn, where X is Wild Beastmaster's power
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (19)||bradyofportdetroit , redlegs_17 , Splashy , pskinn01 , maR2307 , Lindough , Wolfninja , LoneCrusader399 , saj0219 , ShishkyBob , thetechzombie , CampbellStev , philktoken8998 , rakdos24 , golgarigirl , TheAlmostHero , ironax , Wolfebladeelite , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819|
Wild Beastmaster Discussion
4 weeks ago
So I have an Ezuri, Claw of Progress build, myself. You should check it out! I'm gonna give you some ideas, as I may have a few more experience counters than you xD
The suggestions I make are from my list, but I won't mention any cards outside of your budget. Let's get started!
This is alphabetical, not in order of relevance:
- Avenger of Zendikar is a bomb! He usually produces 7 tokens (sometimes more, rarely less). That's 7 Ezuri triggers! A great way to spend some mana.
- Birthing Pod is good; in my opinion, it is secondary to Yisan, the Wanderer Bard (more on him later)
- Breeding Pool is in your sideboard, but is a little out of your budget. If you're willing to buy it, there is absolutely no reason to leave it out of your deck
- Cyclonic Rift is an auto-include, as you are playing a blue EDH deck
- As brian.olson542 mentioned, Fathom Mage is amazing with Ezuri. It's the best card draw you'll get
- Green Sun's Zenith is amazing if you have enough green creatures to make it relevant. Tutoring is important in Commander, especially with a toolbox build (Ezuri can easily be a very effective toolbox). If you have too many blue/artifact creatures, I would go for other tutors
- Hinterland Harbor is from my favorite cycle of lands. In a 2-color deck, it will usually enter the battlefield _UN_tapped, without having to Shock yourself. Wonderful!
- You would be amazed at just how useful Kiora's Follower is. Got a tapped Simic Growth Chamber, Sol Ring, or Oran-Rief, the Vastwood? No problem :) Of course, it can also untap any creatures you have, as well as tapping an opponent's artifacts/creatures. So much utility in one little creature!
- I am familiar with Lifecrafter's Bestiary (or the Pokedex, as I call it). However, I have not tried it in my Ezuri Claw build. I'd be interested in seeing how it plays out!
- Murkfiend Liege is definitely not as good as Seedborn Muse, but it is also 90% cheaper, so that's okay
- Mycoloth is one of the best ways to get more counters! You needn't devour anything as it enters, though you certainly may. Just dump XP into it, and you get some tokens, which gives you more XP, which gives you more tokens, which gives...
- Panharmonicon - yesyesYES!!! This card is bonkers! Creatures that create tokens when they enter the battlefield (i.e.: Avenger of Zendikar) will create twice that amount! But wait - There's more! Those tokens will trigger Ezuri TWICE! For those of you following along at home, that's FOUR TIMES the Ezuri triggers for those tokens. You can't afford to pass that up!
- Rashmi, Eternities Crafter really doesn't play with Ezuri, but it is an A+ Simic card.
- PUT IN Sage of Hours!!! He is an infinite combo, and a win condition. If you have 4 XP, play Sage, get another XP, enter combat, place 5 counters on Sage and remove them instantly, take an extra turn. Then do the same thing next turn. Then the next. Then the next. You see where i'm going here? It's infinite turns, my friend. There's no cooler way to win (well... except for Now I Know My ABC's... but that's a different deck)
- I don't usually like taplands, but I make an excuse for Temple of Mystery. The artwork alone keeps it in, and the scrying is noice
- Yavimaya Coast is another solid and inexpensive option for mana
This is kinda alphabetical... but not really. _()_/
- Abundance lets you decide: Do you want a land or not? If you're short lands, get a land. If you're flooded, you can make sure you don't get any more. This is one of the few cards I will suggest that doesn't play with Ezuri, but it will certainly help you get better draws. Bonus: if (for some reason) you were about to be milled to death, this card will save you. If you look at the text, you'll notice that you do not actually draw cards anymore. Thus, when you go to draw from an empty library, nothing will happen. Value!
- Animation Module allows you to get a token whenever you distribute counters. Not super flashy, but an additional Ezuri trigger each turn is nothing to sneeze at.
- Beast Within is some of the best removal you'll get in Simic
- Blighted Agent is Invisible Stalker's Evil Twin. It is almost entirely better than Blight Mamba, and will win you many games.
- Bramblewood Paragon will give all your compleated creatures trample. Bonus: If you play it before Ezuri, your General enters as a 4/4
- Champion of Lambholt makes all your creatures unblockable.
- Chord of Calling is a wonderful tutor! Convoke really makes this baby shine.
- Contagion Engine is removal and the best proliferation you'll get.
- Crystalline Crawler is the best mana producer you'll see for Ezuri
- Cultivator of Blades triggers Ezuri 3 times (10 times with Panharmonicon), and then proceeds to make all your creatures far stronger when she attacks
- Den Protector is a hybrid of Eternal Witness and Champion of Lambholt; it doesn't do either ability as well, but it does do both.
- Defense of the Heart is my favorite Magic card. Look at it. Embrace it. Then tutor for Cultivator of Blades and Avenger of Zendikar :D
- Deranged Hermit gives you 5 quick triggers. You could pay to keep it around, but I usually don't.
- Dryad Arbor is a free Ezuri trigger
- Fauna Shaman lets you chose which creatures you'll be casting.
- The Fable of Wolf and Owl is the second best story ever told (the first being the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise).
- Fertilid lets you extract your lands from your deck, insuring that you will have mana, but not draw lands when you could be drawing more creatures.
- Hangarback Walker loves getting big, then making cute flying ezuri-triggering babies when it dies.
- Kalonian Hydra doubles the counters on ALL OF YOUR CREATURES!
- Loaming Shaman doesn't trigger Ezuri, but he gets your creatures back, so we keep him around.
- Momir Vig, Simic Visionary is the creature that tutors for creatures. He triggers Ezuri, and also finds the bodies you need.
- Nature's Claim is great because it's only 1 mana. The 4 life is negligible.
- Nissa, Voice of Zendikar gives you triggers, as well as counters.
- Parallel Lives because Doubling Season is too expensive.
- Phantom Nantuko is one helluva blocker. I like it better than Fog Bank, personally.
- Pongify - more one-mana removal! you already run one Rapid Hybridization, why not two?
- While we're on removal, there's Reality Shift. It's great beucase if they manifest a non-creature, then they can never cast it. So not only did you remove their Blightsteel Colossus, but you also got their Armageddon (yes, this actually happened to me once; the guy was so ticked).
- Reclamation Sage is removal on ezuri-triggering legs.
- Okay... so I know this is just a little out of your budget, but Sakashima the Impostor simply must go in. It can copy Ezuri, and is the only copy effect that can do so. I want you to imagine, atlasthetitan64, a world with 2 Ezuris. Think about all the triggering! All the COUNTERS! That, my friend, is Phyrexia incarnate. Search your couch for the spare change: Sakashima is well worth it.
- Servant of the Scale is a great one-drop. You can buff him up with no worries. If he dies, you'll just move the counters onto someone else, such as Fathom Mage.
- Simic Manipulator may cause you to lose all your friends, but that ability...
- Spike Feeder gives you more life than you'll know what to do with
- Triskelion is removal. Doesn't trigger Ezuri, but he's a beast. Dump a bunch of counters on him and watch your opponents squirm!
- If you play enough tokens, Triumph of the Hordes can be a good one-turn kill
- Viral Drake is great because of infect, obviously. However, even the proliferation is a welcome addition. It triggers Ezuri, and you'll get more conuters on your creatures, more XP, and more poison counters on your foes!
- Vorel of the Hull Clade doubles the counters on a creature. Great for Triskelion, Blighted Agent, Cultivator of Blades, or Fathom Mage
- Whirler Rogue is akin to Cultivator of Blades. It gets the same bonus from Panharmonicon. It also grants unblockability.
- Wild Beastmaster is not as good as Cultivator of Blades, but it's 2 mana cheaper.
- Wingcrafter is a great one-drop. I'd definitely play it over Cobbled Wings.
- Worldly Tutor wrote the book on creature tutoring. It's a good read!
- Yisan, the Wanderer Bard, because tutoring + cheaper creatures = a win.
Whew! Well I gave you a lot to think about, there. feel free to ask questions about anything I've suggested; I'd be happy to give you examples from games I've played, etc. Good luck, and happy deck-teching!
1 month ago
9 to 2.0
Out: Skinbrand Goblin, Bloodscale Prowler, Burning-Tree Shaman, Gristleback, Ghor-Clan Bloodscale, Scab-Clan Charger, Scorchwalker, Gruul Scrapper, Ghor-Clan Savage, Streetbreaker Wurm, Disciple of the Old Ways, Forest.
In: Hellraiser Goblin, Indrik Stomphowler, Lobber Crew, Maze Rusher, Molten Primordial, Silhana Starfletcher, Sylvan Primordial, Wild Beastmaster, Wurmweaver Coil, Five-Alarm Fire, Breath of Fury, Aerial Predation.
2 months ago
You could very well turn this build into a Collected Company build to cheat out both Champion of Lambholt and Wild Beastmaster. You could even use Chord of Calling to do the same (slightly). Nice build.
2 months ago
Play Cultivator of Blades as another Wild Beastmaster that triggers Ezuri three times making servos. Try Spawnwrite as a great trampler that can trigger Ezuri exponentially with his copies of copies. My Ezuri, CoP deck, is very quick and I run a "Commander Protection Package" with more Plaxmanta-like creatures creatures such as Quickling and Void Grafter, as well as morph creatures like Stratus Dancer and Willbender and shroud granters like Hisoka's Guard and Sylvan Safekeeper and Heroic Intervention, which is a great spell that counters a board wipe for just you. My curve is very low and if I can get Ezuri in play and untap, the whole table is in trouble unless they work together to kill me. Oh, try Foundry of the Consuls or Spawning Bed instead of Faerie Conclave to get big triggers on Ezuri and more creatures to grow with counters (I play both). Oh, if you can't get a Doubling Season try Inexorable Tide in it's place. If you play enough "proliferate," add Skyship Plunderer and the depletion lands from Marcadian Masques Hickory Woodlot and Saprazzan Skerry. Anyway, good luck. Swell the Host is one of the better pre-constructs to enhance. It can be enhanced pretty cheaply.
3 months ago
Phantom Nantuko, Managorger Hydra, Cultivator of Blades, Wild Beastmaster, Khalni Garden, Asceticism, Rishkar's Expertise, Tempt with Discovery, Inspiring Call, Hooded Hydra, Kalonian Hydra, Eldritch Evolution, Spawnwrithe, Overwhelming Stampede, and Mwonvuli Beast Tracker are my suggestions.
3 months ago
@HaunterHunter - Let's talk.
The double mana granted from Zendikar Resurgent would be great... if I had the double mana to cast itself. At a whopping seven mana, I really don't need my lands to tap for double. There are also better sources of card draw. It's win-more, so that's a no.
Forgotten Ancient is actually just a sponge for hate... It came with the pre-constructed deck, but I took it out because it would instantly be targeted, never reaching its potential.
the problem with Plaxcaster Frogling is that it gives shroud. That means that, if one of my creatures is targeted in my first main phase and I use pay the 2 to grant shroud, that creature can not be targeted by Ezuri this turn. It's a weakness that could be exploited by my opponents, and I can't have that. It's the same reason I won't include Kira, Great Glass-Spinner.
Bane of Progress hits the board as a 2/2, so it would trigger Ezuri. However, I cannot run this. There are too many artifacts that I use and would rather not have destroyed. Also, it doesn't do anything with the counters. The trained eye will see that most of my creatures don't just have counters. They do something with them.
I think you may have misused the term "better". In Magic, saying something is better (implying that it is strictly better) means that it is in every way superior. That cannot be said with Krosan Grip and Nature's Claim. Split second is a nice ability to have, but you know what else is nice? Leaving one mana open as I pass the turn, then surprising my opponent with removal on his turn. Krosan grip came with the pre-con, and I replaced it for a reason.
Verdant Confluence is good, but 6 mana is demanding.
Loaming Shaman is amazing, actually. It has won many games for me. Does it trigger Ezuri? no, and I wish it did. But getting my entire graveyard back is nothing to sneeze at. Contrary to your comment, he is honestly great, and that's why he's in.
I wouldn't say that Walking Ballista is better than Triskelion. Lets say you pay 6 for ballista; the same cost as triskelion. It would come in with the same number of counters, but with 1 less power and 1 less toughness. Also, I can remove all counters from triskelion and have it survive; the same cannot be said for ballista. It does have the ability to scale, which is handy. It's a good card, to be sure, and maybe even one I would include. But, again, I disagree with your assessment of "better".
Don't fool yourself: Mwonvuli Beast Tracker (I can't even tell you how many times I spelled that incorrectly) is not Worldly Tutor. It's on a stick, so i'll excuse the higher mana cost. However, it cannot search for creatures such as Sage of Hours, Fathom Mage, Triskelion, Wild Beastmaster, Champion of Lambholt... the list continues. Never underestimate versatility and flexibility in Commander, my good man.
Thanks for your thoughts!
3 months ago
@xmistfitxzviprx - Avatar of the Resolute is decent. However, he is only as good as the number of creatures i have with counters on them. Usually, that number is relatively low. I tend to focus on specific creatures rather than giving everyone counters. Wild Beastmaster would be good, though... gotta think of what to cut.
@JulesVernes - Borrow to your heart's content! I'm glad you enjoy the build. After having some time away from it, myself, I have noticed a few things that could be improved. Your suggestion to replace Phyrexian Swarmlord with Mycoloth is a sound one. While infecters are good, Swarmlord's token production is wholly dependent on me hitting the opponent with a poison counter. Mycoloth will produce tokens regardless. Good call!
@HaunterHunter - Nice list of suggestions! Lets go through them.- Phantom Nantuko is almost strictly better than Undergrowth Champion. It's also a card i'd not seen before. You've convinced me on this one.
I like Hooded Hydra a little better than Hangarback Walker for this build, as it could enter as an Ezuri trigger if it's morphed, and then get big. Both are good suggetsions, and I'll have to weigh them against the deck.
Fuel for the Cause is 4 mana, not worth imo.
Wonder is decent, but it has to be in the graveyard, and it doesnt play with counters.
Kalonian Hydra... welp, time to make more cuts.
I mentioned to a different user that Wild Beastmaster is a good pick, and Cultivator of Blades is very similar. I doubt i'll be able to get both in, and for that reason, Beastmaster wins with a lower mana cost.
Khalni Garden is decent, i'll swap out a forest.
Tezzeret's Gambit used to be in here. It's good, but i have better ways to both proliferate and draw. That said, if i found an opening for it, it might find its way in.