Artful Dodge

Combos Browse all Suggest


Format Legality
1v1 Commander Legal
Archenemy Legal
Arena Legal
Block Constructed Legal
Canadian Highlander Legal
Casual Legal
Commander / EDH Legal
Commander: Rule 0 Legal
Custom Legal
Duel Commander Legal
Gladiator Legal
Highlander Legal
Historic Legal
Legacy Legal
Leviathan Legal
Limited Legal
Modern Legal
Oathbreaker Legal
Pauper Legal
Pauper Duel Commander Legal
Pauper EDH Legal
Planechase Legal
Quest Magic Legal
Tiny Leaders Legal
Vanguard Legal
Vintage Legal

Artful Dodge


Target creature is unblockable this turn.

Flashback {{U}} (You may cast this card from your graveyard for its flashback cost. Then exile it.)

wallisface on Cheap Deck Cheap Tricks

1 month ago

My current concerns:

  • after you cast Amplifire you still need to to survive till your upkeep, and with only 1-toughness this seems like a very hard goal to achieve - particularly as the opponent will still have all of their interaction.

  • even if you get to trigger the ability of Amplifire, you’ll only have a 60% chance of making it a 20/20 (as the other 40% of the time you’re hitting another Amplifire). And even then, your opponent can still just block your creature unless you’ve got Artful Dodge in hand - making this a lot of hoops to jump through.

  • Brain in a Jar looks super unhelpful here.

Crow_Umbra on Heroic Test Build

9 months ago

Oh yeah, Gods Willing was another I played back then! My Heroic deck also had a brief stint as W/U, and used stuff like Distortion Strike and Artful Dodge, but I think the color protection served a bit better for unblockable.

Best of luck with with the deck, Heroic was a lot of fun to play.

wthompson714 on Custom Commander Brew

1 year ago

Some thoughts:

Since your commander already gives evasion, I don't think you need both Swiftfoot Boots and Lightning Greaves.

The group decided Cyclonic Rift is banned in tier 3. I don't know what tier these decks are considered...

Burgeoning is less good the fewer lands you have in the deck. I don't think you will find it as helpful as you would want it to be. I think you have enough ramp to not need it, but if you want something that will ramp similarly to that, consider Carpet of Flowers or Utopia Sprawl.

I like Distortion Strike and Artful Dodge in more casual decks, but I think they are simply less good in commander. I think it would be better to have creatures that simply are unblockable. I do see the value of making anything (including your stand alone commander) unblockable, but only being able to do it twice isn't good enough in my mind. Aqueous Form is great! But some suggested replacements (with extra upsides) for the others are Invisible Stalker, Flitterstep Eidolon, Mercurial Spelldancer, Suspicious Stowaway  Flip, Silhana Ledgewalker, Temmet, Vizier of Naktamun, Surge Engine. I also think these cards would be better than Wu Light Cavalry, Treetop Scout, and Nettle Sentinel (not sure why this is in the deck).

I like a little bit of additional flicker magic for value, but I think Yorion, Sky Nomad and Roon of the Hidden Realm are too slow. I like Brago, King Eternal and Displacer Kitten.

Mavinda, Students' Advocate doesn't seem to fit here. It only works with instant and sorceries that are targeting creatures you control. Yes, it works with Distortion Strike, but Artful Dodge already has flashback, and it isn't good enough to include mavinda only for Cloudshift and Distortion Strike. I think it can go along with the other two.

You have 18 instances of ramp. I think this may be too much. initial cuts: Llanowar Elves, Ranger's Path, and Burgeoning. Growth Spiral is good, but I think you need to be playing 2 more lands to include. Nature's Lore and Three Visits are great, but you need more dual lands with basic land types to make those good. Otherwise, Rampant Growth is better. Other thing to consider here: If you have fewer mana rocks, the better chance that your commander's ability will help you blow up artifacts. I guess in general, you may want to try to limit the number of card types you play.

Treva's Ruins and Flood Plain seem too slow. And again, as a midrange value deck, I think you need to be playing at least 38 lands.

I think Venser, the Sojourner is better here than Sun Quan, Lord of Wu. You can make the team unblockable for one less mana, and if that isn't helpful at the time, you can flicker stuff while you wait. Ultimating is just an insane bonus.

I gotta go, but I will try to come back and offer some suggestions on other cards you should include!

MeneerDutchy on Noyan Dar

1 year ago
  1. Founding the Third Path
  2. Silver Scrutiny
  3. Shore Up
  4. Walking Atlas
  5. Weathered Wayfarer
  6. Teferi's Response
  7. Mirrorweave Dit is ook wel een leuke boardwipe, dan worden alle andere creatures 0/0's, of je kan iemand anders zijn nasty creature copieren en met een paar landen aanvallen.
  8. Azorius Charm
  9. Reality Shift
  10. Quicken
  11. Slip Through Space
  12. Artful Dodge
  13. Gift of Estates
  14. Skyclave Relic
  15. Darksteel Ingot
  16. Razortide Bridge

TheOfficialCreator on Eight Legs To The Wall

1 year ago

Aqueous Form might be better than Artful Dodge, and have you Considered a bit more mill? I see you have Thought Scour but something like Deranged Assistant or Hedron Crab might go a long way; I'd give it a spin and see what you think.

And Spark Double is always a solid inclusion.

flowersforjane on Kraken Control

1 year ago

wallisface Thank you for the advice! I also posted this deck to Reddit, and the consensus I got was that Nadir Kraken is way too slow to survive in any sort of meta. I definitely can see this, and from feedback I've gotten it seems as if I'd have better luck playing Pioneer, Standard, or Draft starting out. With that said, I'd love to attempt to play my first FNM this week just for the experience, and I've changed some cards around your suggestions/what I have available! If you have any more suggestions I would very very much appreciate it as well.

The only cards I haven't taken out/slightly changed are Artful Dodge and Swiftfoot Boots. The former I swapped with Aqueous Form, because in casual games I've played with my friends, I've often found myself with a 20-21 or higher Nadir Kraken, yet I can't manage to break through chump blockers. The latter, Swiftfoot Boots, I've always tried to play when I have enough mana for it and a counter. I guess both have helped in casual games so far, but if you have pointers as to why either card might not work as well as I thought I'll absolutely remove them.

wallisface on Kraken Control

1 year ago

Some thoughts:

  • You don’t have any kind of reliable way to ramp lands. Dreamscape Artist is insufficient for this because the mana investment he requires will put your opponent too far ahead on boardstate. Because you’re not a ramp deck, i think all those cards you have costing over 4 mana are unrealistic, and should be ditched.

  • The Magic Mirror also feels unrealistic because you just don’t have enough instant/sorcery density to get its cost down. Though this feels like something that could be addressed if you really wanted to run this card.

  • other cards i’d suggest ditch are Dreamscape Artist (requires too much mana to do anything, likely to mess up your own tempo more than help you), Swiftfoot Boots (opponents can always kill your creature un response to the equip. But also these would be better served as more countermagic), Artful Dodge (there’s zero reason to run this), and Wall of Frost (casting it just leaves your shields down for the opponent to cast what they want, and as this card does nothing, it can be dealt with at your opponents leisure, or just ignored if they go-wide or use flyers).

  • Mana Leak is better than Dissolve.

I think overall you need to focus a lot more on the control elements of your deck, and less so on the gimmicks. At the moment your deck looks too slow to be able to establish a presence before being run-over.

Icbrgr on Fleet Eater Mill

2 years ago

neat maybe Artful Dodge or Aqueous Form?

Load more