|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Creature — Human Warrior
You may exert Glory-Bound Intiate as it attacks. When you do, it gets +1/+3 and gains lifelink until end of turn. (An exeted creature won't untap during your next untap step.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (40)||unnaturalelementals , Lindough , asceveris , Tstainbrook , Ellyreia , 2austin5 , Rez09 , theilluminaire , Snydog17 , RedMulligan , frederiklw , philktoken8998 , Atroxreaper , AlertKnave8075 , Vergil_Redgrail , tsirides , Lucan2000 , KB2187 , ecurps , Raknamadak , timmyb , DimSpirit , RPG_FOX , clayperce , PhotogenicParasympathetic , HR19 , rhinoloupe , mymanpotsandpans , the.beanpole , VoidCaster113 , firemind12 , cklise , GeminiSpartanX , _raeofsunlight , jhTheMan99 , Spinalripper , mazrimtaim , TimothyClover , Regulus1010 , Espi14|
Glory-Bound Initiate Discussion
4 days ago
Cards I think are very good in this deck:
Blade of Selves, Sunbird's Invocation, Nahiri, the Harbinger - These synergize with your game plan of casting a bunch of big Angels and beating down with them. They're also just individually powerful cards.
Cards I would heavily consider cutting:
- Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit - While the deck has a lot of nontoken creatures, most of the counters will end up on utility creatures, not Angels, and you don't have any synergy with +1/+1 counters.
- Blaze Commando - You have 5 total sorcery spells that deal damage, and all but Disaster Radius and Meteor Blast kill all your Elementals (and probably the Commando). It just isn't a fit for this deck.
- Firemane Angel - This card is just a lot of mana for an underwhelming creature. It's recursive, but you already have Defy Death and Gift of Immortality to recur creatures, and you're running so many big creatures that it's not a huge concern.
- Firemane Avenger - I'm not super sure on this one (it might be alright), but it feels very low-impact, and if you can attack with three creatures safely, you're probably in a position where you don't need a free Lightning Helix. This is probably one of the last cuts to make.
- Flamewright - This card just isn't doing anything this deck wants.
- Fumiko the Lowblood - Maybe I'm wrong, but this just doesn't seem like an effect this deck needs, especially after cutting the Humans side of the deck.
- Glory-Bound Initiate - Again, just too low-impact for Commander.
- Goldnight Castigator - I misremembered this one - it's not as good as I thought it was. Probably too low-impact, and dangerous (it puts a big target on your head when you take double damage).
- Hanweir Lancer - Do you really need first strike when all your creatures are probably better than anything your opponents will likely have? It beats deathtouch, but so does indestructible, and that also protects the creature from removal. We can do better.
- Hero of Oxid Ridge - Are 1-power creatures blocking Angels that often? Probably not. Without that relevant clause, this is a 4/2 with battle cry - not very relevant for a big creature deck. And it's not on theme.
- Iroas's Champion - See Glory-Bound Initiate.
- Jareth, Leonine Titan - This card is okay, but we can probably fill this slot with a better creature for the deck. One of the last cuts, most likely.
- Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer - This effect is powerful, but we aren't heavy on artifacts, so metalcraft is unreliable, and we aren't a deck that can make the best use out of it.
- Odric, Lunarch Marshal - We can get something very similar with Angelic Skirmisher, which is an Angel and does something on an empty board.
- Shepherd of the Lost - See Glory-Bound Initiate.
- Skyknight Legionnaire - See you-know-what.
- Sun Titan - This guy is awesome, but he's not likely to bring back much of value in a deck filled to the brim with big Angels.
- Thalia, Heretic Cathar - Is this an effect this deck really wants? If it is, Blind Obedience is an enchantment that hits artifacts instead of nonbasics, and also extorts (It is legal in this deck).
- Truefire Paladin See...yawn
- Victory's Herald - We're an ANGEL deck! We don't need to give our creatures FLYING! In all seriousness, this is very redundant with a deck made up of 30% fliers, 30% support spells, and 40% mana.
- Deathrender - This card is just kinda expensive and difficult to use, and it only lets us cheat out Angels we can just cast anyway.
- Banishing Light - This is a small upgrade, but Grasp of Fate is probably just better.
- Citadel Siege - This card draws a bunch of hate, but isn't so impactful it wins us the game (like Sunbird's Invocation). We can do much better.
- Curse of the Nightly Hunt - Like Fumiko the Lowblood, I'm not convinced we want this effect.
- Faith's Fetters - I'd rather run something more like Banishing Light as enchantment-based removal, because it deals with static abilities like, for example, Angel of Invention.
- Battle Hymn - This card is both really awkward (makes red mana when most of our expensive stuff is white) and not actually going to produce much mana outside of a token deck. We really don't need an effect like this one.
- Martial Glory - Our creatures are already big, so do we really need a combat trick to make them good? I don't think so.
- Ancient Amphitheater - We aren't running Giant tribal, so this is just a worse Wind-Scarred Crag 95% of the time. I'd rather run a basic, or a Reliquary Tower or something.
- Evolving Wilds, Terramorphic Expanse, Vivid Crag, Vivid Meadow - We're a 2-color deck - we really don't need to run what amount to tapped basics most of the time.
Cards I'm unsure about:
- The token cards: Adriana, Captain of the Guard, Sunhome Guildmage, Assemble the Legion, Cathars' Crusade - These cards are all great (and gave me an idea for a deck to build) but I don't think they're a fit for this deck. Either expand on the token plan, or cut these.
- Emancipation Angel - I don't think we need this? If it had flash, I'm all for it, but as it is I don't think we want to bounce our expensive creatures.
- Thalia's Lancers - I don't think we have enough legendary permanents that this is worth playing. If you end up adding more, then go for it.
- Meteor Blast - We're running white - we can get less expensive one-sided boardwipes, I feel.
- Nevermore - If we end up running ways to tutor up enchantments, this is a great silver bullet answer to almost anything, but even in that case, I think Gideon's Intervention is better most of the time. Maybe you run both?
Cards I recommend:
- "Voltron" cards - Since Anya can easily become indestructible and is already evasive, she's a good candidate for winning with commander damage. Loxodon Warhammer is already in the deck, as is Lightning Greaves, so we've got a head start. Some cards I'd recommend are:
- Swiftfoot Boots - Basically Lightning Greaves, but you can target the creature. If you intend to pile a bunch of equipment on Anya this is probably a better option.
- Grappling Hook - Gives Anya double strike, as well as helping you get rid of problem creatures (Remember Anya has flying, so a nonflier can't block her).
- Argentum Armor - Much like the Hook, this makes Anya a serious threat while helping deal with problematic permanents.
- Assault Suit - Get Anya attacking on everyone else's turns, too!
- Champion's Helm - Protects Anya while also making her big.
- Godsend - A bit pricy, but discourages opponents from attacking into or blocking Anya, and a combo with Grappling Hook
- Inquisitor's Flail - Anya's indestructible, so this card's downside is completely meaningless.
- Pariah's Shield - When equipped to Anya, this basically makes you invincible.
- Puresteel Paladin - If you go hard on the Equipment theme, this guy will put in work. Probably not the best if you stick with Angels, though.
- Stoneforge Masterwork - This one should be obvious.
- Steelshaper's Gift - Again, if you go deep with Equipment, consider this.
- Sword of the Animist - Ramp sword? Ramp sword.
- Sword of Vengeance - Give Anya every keyword ever printed on a creature. And +2/+0!
- Worldslayer - This one is just to silly to not bring up.
- Herald's Horn - Makes your Angels cheaper, and helps you draw them.
- Door of Destinies - This should be fairly obvious.
- Kindred Charge - This card will win you games, I guarantee it. Especially with stuff like Angel of Serenity.
- Vanquisher's Banner - Similar to Herald's Horn. Makes your Angels big instead of cheap.
- Angel of Sanctions - Banishing Light on a stick? That you can use twice? Seems good.
- Angel of the Dire Hour - Get 'em! Just don't play this on your combat phase.
- Angelic Skirmisher - Give your team some nice abilities, and on an Angel to boot!
- Archangel of Tithes - Makes life hard for token decks and discourages attacks.
- Aurelia, the Warleader - How are you not already running this? Well, whatever, I won't judge.
- Basandra, Battle Seraph - Prevents opponents getting tricky in combat, and helps deal with problematic utility creatures that are otherwise hard to get rid of.
- Exquisite Archangel - Saves you from death once, which damn well better be enough.
- Karmic Guide - Recurs your big threats which would otherwise rot in your graveyard forever.
- Linvala, Keeper of Silence - A hefty price tag, but an upgrade to think about. Completely shuts down powerful utility creatures and mana dorks (it doesn't care whether the ability is a mana ability).
- Platinum Angel - You literally can't lose. The purpose is obvious, although the target on your head is just as visible.
- Reya Dawnbringer - Basically a repeated Karmic Guide - who wouldn't love to make their Angels unkillable?
- Twilight Shepherd - Having this card sitting on the battlefield makes nobody want to boardwipe, since you just get all your creatures back anyway.
- Avacyn, Angel of Hope - Expensive, but well worth the price - it's really hard to deal with an indestructible field of anything, let alone big fliers.
- Hour of Devastation - Three mana boardwipes are quite strong, and this card almost always costs three mana in Commander. This one even hits artifacts, enchantments, and planeswalkers!
- Boros Charm - A versatile spell that can save you from a boardwipe, make an Angel a major threat, or just burn someone out of the game, if need be.
- Master Warcraft - Completely blowing out two opponents seems well worth four mana to me! If need be, it can even just be a Fog.
- Wear / Tear - Versatile artifact and enchantment removal.
- Return to Dust - Just like Wear / Tear. I put this one in basically every white deck I make.
- Swords to Plowshares - Spot removal that deals with just about any creature.
- Grand Abolisher - We wouldn't want any pesky blue mages countering our Angels, would we? Also has the upside of preventing combat trickery on your turn.
On the manabase:
I like that you put in so many mana rocks and lands (a lot of first-time deck builders might skimp in this regard) but the colors are a bit strange. You have more red sources than white, despite the fact you have more white cards than red. I would cut a few Mountains and replace them with Plains.
Obviously you can't run all of these recommendations, but pick the ones you like the best to fill the empty slots. Overall, I quite like the premise of the deck, but it could use a lot of polish.
5 days ago
Thanks MrBamsGoesBoom, I understand what you said about Panharmonicon, (i misread some cards). I think splashing for Samut, Voice of Dissent is better than Angel of Invention as it is a warrior. Then A couple of splash sources is a good thing. Also makes Glory-Bound Initiate a sweet include.
1 week ago
Aviary Mechanic and Tocatli Honor Guard don't work well together. It stops the interaction of bouncing with Aviary Mechanic. I suggest Glory-Bound Initiate instead of Aviary Mechanic if you like Tocatli Honor Guard enough to build a hatebears deck around it. :P
1 week ago
Mono-white monument with creatures look fun and effective while different.
What about Solemn Recruit? I know it's a 'warrior' but it is also a dwarf. Also, I'm not sure you need the tribal with metallic mimic. Wouldn't Glory-Bound Initiate work pretty well in that two drop as well?
2 weeks ago
2 weeks ago
I think a couple cards should get cut, most notably skullclamp and Jazal because they are both illegal in modern, as well as gravepurge, brave the sands, and obelisk of urd. I think you should focus on getting putting your key powerful warrior cards like Arashin Foremost Blood-Chin Rager, Glory-Bound Initiate, and Chief of the Edge as full playsets for the most consistent draws. As well you may want to consider Metallic Mimic as an additional lord. For removal your best options would be a mix of Fatal Push or Path to Exile. As well your landbase should be fine-tuned as well, as Warriors tend to have obnoxious casting costs. You've got a solid core, but there is a lot of room for improvement.
3 weeks ago
3 weeks ago
Heya Kittus! I gots some feedback for you on this deck, let me know what you think!
Adanto Vanguard is awesome for aggro, but he has no way to gain you any life, other than if you were to put some Sanctum Seekers in. You mentioned Glory-Bound Initiate in your main, but he's not on your list anywhere and I think he's the kind of aggro you'd want to replace Vanguard with since you'll at least be gaining some life, though Bishop's Soldier is always lifelink so you can hold him up to block and get a Sunmare trigger there on defense.
Love Vicious Conquistador, but same problem as above, he's not able to gain you any life, but he is fantastically aggressive. Unless he's crewing Aethersphere Harvester, there's no good way to consistently gain life off him, unless you have Sanctum Seeker. Harvester also brings up the question of Energy, it's the only card related and only brings you 2 counters. So it's great for a few turns, then it's just another 3/5 flyer you've gotta tap a token for. There's actually some pretty good ways to branch into lifegain with energy shrug
Also as a token strategy overall, I really really dislike Call to the Feast. 4 mana for 3x 1/1 lifelinks is so meh as I stare back over at Sram's Expertise from AER and just wanna jump back on the Hidden Stockpile bandwagon. But I also am super happy to run 4x Anointed Procession which is truly at the heart of a token strategy. I run 4x because I want at least 1 onboard every game I play. You can't get the high score without good multipliers
I will say, I'm super in love with Settle the Wreckage mainboard (with Vraska's Contempt on the side as my swap) after dealing with a bonkers Mono White Monuments deck at FNM, but your mileage may vary lol.