Commander / EDH
SCORE: 73 | 28 COMMENTS | 11137 VIEWS | IN 33 FOLDERS
M19, New Ravnica, and Other Big Changes —Sept. 10, 2018
Nothing interesting from M19, but some pretty major upgrades AND we’re going back to Ravnica.
- Abrupt Decay - this card is just too good a piece of removal to not have
- Barren Moor - cycles
- Blooming Marsh - dual land, sometimes enters untapped
- Carrion Feeder - one mana sacrifice outlet, I think I need more
- Chainer, Dementia Master - reanimate at instant speed from any graveyard; replacing Demon for combo purposes
- Chord of Calling - how I missed this I’m not sure but it’s bonkers
- Dross Harvester - a strict upgrade over Deathgreeter
- Entomb - how did I not play this card for a year and a half
- Grim Tutor - this card is quite good at any stage of the game
- Mikaeus, the Unhallowed - this card fits extremely well with the rest of the deck
- Necromancy - animate dead with a possible instant speed function
- Noxious Gearhulk - targeted removal with the upside of life gain
- Pitiless Plunderer - this is huge ramp
- Savra, Queen of the Golgari - life gain and board clearing all in one sexy Queen
- Skullmulcher - this is really sweet card draw that's repeatable and on theme
- Smothering Abomination - more card draw never hurt anyone
- Svogthos, the Restless Tomb - it lives again
- Thrashing Brontodon - Caustic Caterpillar the second
- Tranquil Thicket - cycles
- Windgrace's Judgment - instant speed three for one
- Yahenni, Undying Partisan - a sacrifice outlet that gets big and can protect himself
Guilds of Ravnica Additions:
- Assassin's Trophy - this card is stupidly broken
- Doom Whisperer - pay two life to self-mill for two; seems like a bargain
- Izoni, Thousand-Eyed - testing tokens and a semi-sacrifice outlet
- Midnight Reaper - a second version of Grim Haruspex
- Kraul Foragers - mass lifegain on ETB
- Plaguecrafter - this is a fleshbag marauder on crack
- Underrealm Lich - this card is nuts; gets around Nekusar and gets 3 cards deep on every draw AND prevents you from decking yourself
- Vraska, Golgari Queen - trying her out for card draw and abrupt decay on a stick
- Arbor Elf - I’m sad to see him go, but he isn’t guaranteed to color fix and he is terrible to top deck late game
- Birds of Paradise - I’m moving away from mana dorks because they are so terrible late game
- Brutalizer Exarch - served a specific function that is low probability
- Butcher of Malakir - It's very useful as a psuedo Damnation, but it's very slow and is terrible immediately after a board wipe and it doesn't function strictly as a board wipe on it's own for seven mana
- Caustic Caterpillar - Thrashing Brontodon is better
- Deathgreeter - this was replaced with a strictly better card
- Demon of Dark Schemes - Chainer is way easier to use
- Elves of Deep Shadow - see above
- Faerie Macabre - this was mostly in the deck to fight Gitrog combo in my meta: it has its uses, but generally isn’t that good
- Fleshbag Marauder - Plaguecrafter is just so much better, and the redundancy on this specific type of effect is not useful
- Forbidden Orchard - I have grown to hate this land so rather than replace it with another land I’m just cutting it; honestly though I feel safe cutting a land and this one needs to go
- Golgari Grave-Troll, Golgari Thug, Stinkweed Imp, Life from the Loam - dredge is completely replaced by Underrealm Lich
- Imperial Seal - its very slow and fits better in my Yuriko deck anyways
- Ouphe Vandals - it’s just too hard to keep in play 100% of the time, and doesn’t stop everything
- Pawn of Ulamog - I’m changing the combo up a bit so I don’t need this anymore
- Putrid Imp - without the dredge cards, he just isn't as useful anymore
- Ramunap Excavator - it doesn’t do enough honestly; it’s cute, but has to go
- Repopulate - this card really doesn't serve a purpose; Riftsweeper is better
- Sadistic Hypnotist - the sorcery speed really kills it for me, and Mindslicer is just better hand disruption
- Skullclamp - this card is quite good, but it can sometimes be less useful
- 2xSnow-Covered Forest and 2xSnow-Covered Swamp - cutting basics to make room for the onslaught cycle lands, one utility land and one dual land; even after these cuts I stll have 14 basics so I'm unaffected by blood moon and Steve still has 14 targets
- Terastodon - this card is a bit slow despite being high impact, but the 3/3 bodies my opponent’s get often end up outweighing the positive
- World Breaker - the only thing this really does is remove indestructible artifacts and enchantments through Torpor Orb; I've probably already lost if an indestructible Orb hits the field, and it being a cast trigger kills it for me
fantastic. I'll be tossing this in my folders to check out later. Definitely gives me inspiration from the premise alone however. Toss an Abrupt Decay in here though. Card is literally too good not to play.
April 23, 2018 5:38 p.m.
@Enivid thanks for the upvote! Im glad you liked the deck. I would love to run Abrupt Decay, but no one plays control in my meta and it doesnt hit enough targets for me to justify it at this point. I mean it hits a lot of good targets in Commander, just not enough that I see regularly.
April 23, 2018 9:09 p.m.
what a great deck +1! I just ordered a bunch of cards for a meren deck similar to this one. Do you ever have trouble executing the bitter ordeal win condition? It seems like alot of cards to be able to get out on the board and keep there and take awhile to ramp up.
May 30, 2018 3:11 p.m.
@cicely24 - Thanks for the upvote! Typically I don’t, as I just play control until I essentially just slam a win. I’ll keep the board clear where necessary and then once I’ve accrued significant advantage over my opponents, then I start setting up the win. Usually doesn’t take long as not many of the combo pieces are especially threatening on their own and the deck has plenty of built in protection. Also, I can get everything I need to win off of two Protean Hulk death triggers, so it’s not hard at all to win out of nowhere (and that’s assuming I have nothing I need on board).