Grow from the Ashes
Kicker _(You may pay an additional as you cast this spell.) _
Search your library for a basic land card, put it into the battlefield, then shuffle your library. If this spell was kicked, instead search your library for two basic land cards, put them onto the the battlefield, then shuffle your library.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Grow from the Ashes Discussion
2 months ago
Stuff I'd consider in no particular order.
Steelbane Hydra - this one in particular has what you're looking for in enchantment hate, but I'll have a section specifically for that too.
Hydroid Krasis - a little above your price range, but a fantastic hydra.
Lifeblood Hydra - just under 10 bucks, definitely a solid upgrade.
I'd also consider looking up all the different duals that show up in sultai and picking up some of the cheaper ones? I google "word for the color identity of the deck I'm playing and dual lands" and theres a few sites there generally with prices. Also going up like, 3/4 more lands since 33 seems slim and you don't have a lot of mana rocks/dorks to shore that up.
enchantment removal I've used/like/I think would be good here.
As for stuff I'd cut.
Edge of Autumn - theres better ramp cards and I suggested a few above
Grow from the Ashes - see above
Font of Fertility - see above
Frontier Siege - this seems kinda medium if all were doing with it is adding 2 extra mana, I like that it's modal but you're never going to pick that mode since we don't have a lot of flyers in hydras.
Icy Blast - I see where you're coming from with this, and I think it could definitely put in work, but I also feel like theres probably either hard removal that you could play for the same amount of mana that would make this useful, or something similar.
Personally I'd also cut the counter spells for more stuff that draws/removes but I understand why they're here.
I hope this helps, sorry if it's long winded, and good luck with the list!!
3 months ago
Grow from the Ashes begs to differ...it's the same, but can kick into high gears (pun intended) once you have five mana. And that mostly isn't even played.
5 months ago
Other Cards that you could consider cutting
- Ondu Giant => Seedguide Ash this card is one more mana expsive and has to die inorder to get the lands, but could be such a good upside. This dieing with your commander reads ramp 3 draw 3 cards and gain 3 life
- Soratami Mirror-Guard I get what you are doing here, but I feel like there are better payoffs for this
- Timbermaw Larva => Rampaging Brontodon trample is 1,000% better on this card
- Wakeroot Elemental 5 greens for a 5/5? way overcosted
- Wave-Wing Elemental again similar argument to Windrider Eel not that big of an impact
- Wild Wanderer good but could have better options
- Aetherflux Reservoir I know this is good in commander but why? No synergy at all, there has to be a better card slot here
- Elixir of Immortality I used to put this in all of my decks too, but it is counter productive to your stragay with cards like Splendid Reclamation and The Mending of Dominaria
- Wayfarer's Bauble There is better ramp than this in green
- I see why you have Jiang Yanggu but I feel like there is stronger cards than that. I cut the card to tutor Journey for the Elixir for him sorry :(
- There are a bunch of other better than Ranger's Path you could add, I'll show them in the recommendations
- Future Sight and Ominous Seas both seem strange here. I get future sight can draw cards, BUT I feel you should use mana sinks rather than off the top of your library draw
- Ghostly Flicker is on thin ice, like yes you have all the etb creatures but sometimes it is a dead card. meh at best?
Other Cards that you could consider adding
This is where the fun begins and your wallet cries
- You want Nissa, Who Shakes the World great card, it is a mana doubler ramp, and also you just win with the ultimate
- I heard you like ramp try Tireless Provisioner and pick up one for me while you are at it please
- Here is a gaint list of green ramp Harrow , Growth Spiral , Explore , Khalni Heart Expedition , Roiling Regrowth , Grow from the Ashes , Urban Evolution , Migration Path , Natural Connection , Nissa's Renewal , Nylea's Intervention , Spring / Mind , Animist's Awakening , Omen of the Hunt
- Keeping your life total at a high level Kazandu Nectarpot , Grazing Gladehart , Retreat to Kazandu , Jaddi Offshoot
- Mana Sinks, you are going to have a lot of mana, might as well do something with it Kamahl's Druidic Vow ummm.... yes? Kefnet the Mindful one of my favorite Gods, that doesn't have a place. I look forward to getting attacked by him Sprout Swarm it is really easy for this card to be "free"
That is all I can think of at the moment. I'm sure I'll have more la
5 months ago
Hey, there's a new Commander product that just released called Adventures in the Forgotten Realms Commander and Draconic Rage is one of the four precons. It's two color Gruul with Dragon theme and in the precon are several cards that are upgrades for your deck.
- Arcane Signet --> Traveler's Amulet
- Nature's Lore --> Stream of Life
- Atarka, World Render --> Darigaaz Reincarnated
- Klauth, Unrivaled Ancient --> Palladia-Mors, the Ruiner
- Savage Ventmaw --> O-Kagachi, Vengeful Kami
- Vrondiss, Rage of Ancients --> Dragonlord Atarka
- Skyline Despot --> Broodmate Dragon
- Dragonborn Champion --> Verix Bladewing
- Chaos Dragon --> Boneyard Scourge
- Garruk's Uprising --> Crucible of Fire
- Return of the Wildspeaker --> You Come to the Gnoll Camp
- Beast Within --> Draconic Roar
- Haven of the Spirit Dragon --> Gateway Plaza
- Path of Ancestry --> Dimir Guildgate
- Game Trail --> Azorius Guildgate
If you want to be more competitive than the number one area for improvements to consider is the manabase. Due to budget I don't expect to see Shock lands and Fetch lands, but you could improve the manabase a lot even without them. On a budget rely more on basic lands, more Forests than others and some dual lands that have interaction with basic lands. The reason for this is basic lands always ETB untapped to make mana.
Play more Forests than others because green mana helps the most to get the other colors with land ramp spells. Mountains should be next because red is the most important color to cast Dragons. Those two colors are overall the two most important with Dragons.
Currently there's 26 of the 37 lands that always ETB tapped which makes the manabase really slow. In my opinion you're better off having the land ETB untapped and make less colors then ETB tapped and make more colors. On a budget a don't expect you to play all lands that always ETB untapped, but limit the amount of lands that don't to much less than 26. If you're going to play lands that always ETB tapped then choose Rainbow lands ( Path of Ancestry ) or the Tri lands ( Savage Lands ) since these lands can make one of five colors or one of three colors which on a budget is worth it ETB tapped.
Example of a budget five color manabase:
- 15 basic lands: more Forests and Mountains than others.
- Command Tower, Exotic Orchard, Unclaimed Territory , Haven of the Spirit Dragon , Path of Ancestry
- Ash Barrens, Evolving Wilds, Terramorphic Expanse
- The World Tree
- 4 Tri lands: Jungle Shrine, Savage Lands , Frontier Bivouac , Opulent Palace
- 5 Tango lands: Cinder Glade, Canopy Vista , Sunken Hollow , Prairie Stream , Smoldering Marsh
- 3 Pain lands: Murmuring Bosk , Yavimaya Coast , Llanowar Wastes
Tango lands can ETB tapped, but more basic lands help for them not to. By adding more Tango lands then Farseek could also be added as a land upgrade for Grow from the Ashes since Farseek can search for a Tango land.
If interested I offer more advice. Would you like more advice? Good luck with your deck.
7 months ago
Fires of Yavimaya is another good haste enabler, like rhythm. Overwhelming Stampede is a good at running people over. I would also swap out Grow from the Ashes for like a Migration Path or Ranger's Path . Traverse the Outlands and Boundless Realms are also fun ramp spells that can open a lot of options for you. Return of the Wildspeaker and Rishkar's Expertise are nice pieces of card draw in stompy decks.
8 months ago
It's Koma Cute Snek! The World Serpent danger noodle! I think this deck might need one more ramp spell, though, especially since Koma has quite an expensive mana cost. I suugest Grow from the Ashes and Explosive Vegetation . Cultivate is a classic. Other than that, I also suggest a few token doublers. Maybe one or two of the new Quandrix commanders.
8 months ago
Heya Doombeard1984! I love the new look of your username! You're spot on. I almost have Crystalline Sliver , and will swap those immediately when I do. I was considering switching to some sort of reverse curve for slivers to cascade into more specific lines, which is initially why I reduced my 1-MV spells to so few. If I pop a sliver for 1 cost, at this point it would always be Galerider Sliver . Though it's probably nuts to try to do that with the deck so I'm likely going to make that switch as well. 100% on the Grow from the Ashes to either Nature's Lore or Skyshroud Claim . I'll switch to Skyshroud Claim!
And for Realmwalker I haven't gotten them in my hand or on my battlefield yet to see their effect, but I really like it for seeing the top card. I have plenty of fetches, so I can see the top to plan a cascade, and shuffle if I don't like it.
9 months ago
Your deck came up in the feed so thought I would drop in and see how its going. Seeing a few alterations. Here is a bit of food for thought though:
- Diffusion Sliver out for Crystalline Sliver - Dont make it cost more for your enemies to target your stuff. Make it so they cant lol
- Talon Sliver out for Striking Sliver . Its a better costed version of the same card.
- Grow from the Ashes out for either Nature's Lore or a Skyshroud Claim . These would enable you to get a shock land, not just a basic, and Skyshroud enables you to get 2 or them. Even works with the Triomes.
Just some ideas. Also a question for you. How are you getting on using the Sliver in disguise in the deck. You finding it is helping your plays? I have considered it, as it gives access to the top of my library as well as being a Sliver in most ways. I probably run a load less slivers and so would be a bit less effective, but I am curious about the results.