|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Masters 25 (A25)||None|
|Time Spiral (TSP)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Shapeshifter
As Vesuvan Shapeshifter enters the battlefield or is turned face up, you may choose another creature in play. If you do, until Vesuvan Shapeshifter is turned face down, it becomes a copy of that creature and gains "At the beginning of your upkeep, you may turn this creature face down."
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (18)||Supremespeed , DrLitebur , gildan_bladeborn , angesoir , sonnet666 , damo_rox , Shiromakuro , Wolfebladeelite , SketchyScribbler , Fairseas , Unlife , mziter501 , itheoryz , golgarigirl , Dimarx , bpiser95 , PTsmitty , Pumpkinking913|
|Want (9)||notsaying , pezztalent , whatswithgravity , MementoMuffin , Bezter , jeffcox , Rathe , golgariizzet , XxCataclysmiCxX|
Vesuvan Shapeshifter Discussion
1 week ago
Biggest issue I see here is a lack of focus and not enough creatures for a creatures only matter deck.
Animar, Soul of Elements wants two main things: Cast creatures and get +1/+1 counters to cast larger creatures. Everything in the deck should be focused on those two goals.
Setting up the deck to achieve this purpose will make it efficient and powerful. All cards should therefore do one of the following:
- Ramp up to Animar.
- Protect Animar.
- Place counters on Animar.
- Cast game ending creatures for cheap or free.
- Draw cards to allow us to do 1 through 4.
Priority should be given to cards that does something now > does something before your next turn > does something on your next turn > does something eventually.
Because Animar offers a discount based on creatures played, the deck shouldn't be filled with only high cmc game enders, but creatures from low to high cmc, preferably with as little colored mana symbols as possible, to give the deck a natural progression to casting free or cheap high cmc game ending creatures.
Let's split the deck into 3 parts. Pre-Animar setup, Post-Animar setup, Finale.
Note that $: (0 to 0.99), $$: (1.00 to 4.99), $$$: (5.00 to 9.99), $$$$: (10.00 to 19.99), !$!: (20.00+)
Unnecessary on a computer, very helpful on a phone.
- Exotic Orchard is pretty good and cheap and can usually offer every color in multiplayer, especially if an opponent has a Command Tower out or even a Vivid Grove without even needing charge counters. - Kazoo lands such as Simic Growth Chamber, Izzet Boilerworks, and Gruul Turf are good in casual EDH where there is lack of land destruction and they artifically increase your deck ammount by posing as two lands in one. Though overall you do not want too many tap lands as you'll constantly be a entire turn behind.
- Zhur-Taa Druid creature ramp & burn. $
- Bloom Tender creature ramp. !$!
- Coiling Oracle ramp or card draw. $
- Cyclonic Rift removal or 1-sided board wipe. $$$$
- Explore ramp and card Draw. $
- Sakura-Tribe Elder creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Sylvan Caryatid creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Beastcaller Savant creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Kiora's Follower creature ramp or vigilance on a stick. $
- Rattleclaw Mystic creature ramp and color fix. $
- Walking Atlas potentially free creature ramp. $
- Simic Charm so versatile. $
- Lightning Greaves Protection and quick haste for a large creature. $$
- Spellskite For those , & removals. $$$
- Ring of Kalonia Ramp every turn and makes Animar a lot more threatening. $
- Sage of Fables Emergency card draw. $$
- Pestermite Vigilance, chump blocker vs flying or stopping a giant creature. $
- Guided Passage One of the best card draw and pick your poison spells ever. $$
- Pir, Imaginative Rascal A creature hardened scales and specific tutor. $$
- Cloudstone Curio An auto include if you can afford it. $$$$
- Temur Ascendancy Makes all your casted creatures threatening and some card draw. $
- Phyrexian Metamorph Costs 2 life and can do so much for you. $$$
- Solemn Simulacrum Free ramp, chump blocker and card draw. $$
- Faerie Artisans It doesn't look like much, this is card can get crazy. $$
- Toothy, Imaginary Friend A growing monstrocity that explodes into cards. $$
- Silent Arbiter Protection against swarm decks. $$
- Xenagos, God of Revels Game ender. $$
- Vesuvan Shapeshifter On your upkeep, you may pay to clone the biggest and baddest mofo on the field. $
- Deepglow Skate Potential huge ramp for just . $$$
- Progenitor Mimic Very dangerous to copy one of the heavy hitters in this deck. $$
- Consecrated Sphinx All the card draw. $$$
- Deadwood Treefolk Repeatable creature recusion. $
- Steel Hellkite Situational, but very deadily against token decks. $
- Great Oak Guardian Great, quick surprise block when tapped out. $
- Pathbreaker Ibex Quick, game ender. $$
- Thunderfoot Baloth Setup for getting past defenses. $$
- Scourge of the Throne Depending on the situation, can be deadly. !$!
2 weeks ago
2 months ago
Here's a list of what I could find.
- Altered Ego
- Artisan of Forms
- Back from the Brink
- Blade of Selves (Though this one doesn't last)
- Body Double
- Cackling Counterpart
- Caller of the Untamed
- Cemetery Puca
- Clone Legion
- Dance of Many
- Dimir Doppelganger
- Dual Nature
- Echo Chamber
- Evil Twin
- Faerie Artisans
- Fated Infatuation
- Feldon of the Third Path
- Felhide Spiritbinder
- Felhide Spiritbinder
- Flameshadow Conjuring
- Followed Footsteps
- God-Pharaoh's Gift
- Heat Shimmer
- Helm of the Host
- Hour of Eternity
- Identity Thief
- Infinite Reflection
- Jwari Shapeshifter (Conditional for Ally creatures only)
- Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker (Combos nicely with Helm of the Host
- Kindred Charge
- Lazav, Dimir Mastermind
- Mercurial Pretender
- Mimic Vat
- Minion Reflector
- Mirage Mirror
- Mirror Match
- Mirror Mockery
- Mirror of the Forebears
- Mirrorweave (Helm of the Host on a powerful Legendary Creature, like Emrakul, the Aeons Torn and you win the game)
- Parallel Evolution (Not going to list all cards with "Populate", but same thing but this one is better)
- Permeating Mass (Not what you're wanting, but fun nonetheless)
- Phantasmal Image
- Phyrexian Metamorph
- Polymorphous Rush
- Progenitor Mimic (Easily can win with Biovisionary. Also pairs with Mirrorweave)
- Protean Raider
- Quicksilver Gargantuan
- Renegade Doppelganger
- Rite of Replication (Also wins with Biovisionary)
- Saheeli Rai
- Saheeli's Artistry
- Sakashima the Impostor
- Sakashima's Student
- Shapeshifter's Marrow
- Soul Separator
- Spitting Image
- Splinter Twin (More or less banned everywhere)
- Splitting Slime
- Sprouting Phytohydra (Not what you're wanting, though)
- Stolen Identity
- Stunt Double
- Supplant Form
- Tempt with Reflections
- The Mimeoplasm (Kinda?)
- The Scarab God
- Tilonalli's Skinshifter
- Unstable Shapeshifter
- Vesuvan Doppelganger
- Vesuvan Shapeshifter
- Vizier of Many Faces
- Volatile Chimera (Not what you want but still a copy-creature card)
3 months ago
Hahahahah :D never even thought about it, I might include it, when I update my deck soon... because as much as I love big spells, I often find myself playing one spell per turn, need to reduce some CMC.
And recently I discover another clone Vesuvan Shapeshifter, love him already :D
3 months ago
Thanks! Those are actually pretty much all of my pet cards in this list.
Vesuvan Shapeshifter looks really sweet, I just love repeated clone effects, and how it interacts with Den Protector is awesome. It definitely seems like a great thing to add, especially since it lets me use counters from one Ezuri activation to do different things from turn to turn, so I'll definitely be finding a slot for it in the near future.
I haven't actually drawn Tempting Licid in any of the games I've played so far (not that I can remember at least). I really like the idea of it, but it's entirely possible that in practice it won't perform all that well.
3 months ago
Solid decklist! I really like Cephalid Constable, Ixidron and Tempting Licid. Have you considered running a Vesuvan Shapeshifter? It can flip back over after an Ixidron ETB, copies Den Protector on flip for a repeatable Eternal Witness effect, and, of course, clone effects are neat-o!
Tempting Licid is definitely awesome though, I haven't seen that card before. How does it perform in your games?
4 months ago
Good thoughts. I understand.
How is Restore working for you? Are there enough fetches in your meta to make it usable?
I personally dislike the cards that also give opponents mana. Unless group hug is a theme it seems dangerous to give, I dunno, the Mono red or Boros players so much mana, shoring up their weaknesses. I'm a Boros/red player so someone dropping an early Collective Voyage seems like a dream come true haha! Just my opinion!
Good to have a better knowledge of the deck philosophy.
I'm sure you've considered them, but may I ask where Mercurial Pretender, Sakashima the Impostor, Vesuvan Shapeshifter, and Vizier of Many Faces are? They all seem better than Clone at the very least, able to bounce themselves(repeated ETB effects) or in the case of Vesuvan Shapeshifter, get out before the creature you want to copy, allowing you more utility and better timing.
Mirage Mirror will be great and was probably my best suggestion, looking back haha!
Etali, Primal Storm steals cards, not amazing but more of a "fun card" suggestion.
Now, I won't give suggestions on this quite yet, but your deck is seriously lacking some instant speed interaction. To really make this work in multiplayer(especially on Game Knights, where a lot of crazy stuff happens and there's a lot of interaction), you'll need some removal and/or counterspells I think. you'll have to sacrifice some theme for some consistency.
You might also like more recursion, as this is a creature based deck, you'll probably like to get them back from time to time.