|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Duel Decks: Mind vs Might (DDS)||Common|
|Vintage Masters (VMA)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Return target permanent to its owner's hand.
Storm (When you cast this spell, copy it for each spell cast before it this turn. You may choose new targets for the copies.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Temporal Fissure Discussion
1 month ago
Thoughts on another outlet besides seeker? maybe something like Temporal Fissure just in case the plan goes south, to buy yourself a LOT of time
2 months ago
I wrote a bit comment and it got eaten by TappedOut. So, apologies for the brevity on this rewrite. These are a few suggestions based on a similar deck of mine.
- Mind's Desire and Temporal Fissure are both excellent storm payoffs. The former is one of the best hits from Epic Experiment and the latter can bounce every land as a pseudo Time Walk if you need to swing with tokens.
- Sphinx-Bone Wand and Docent of Perfection Flip are two additional options for win-cons if you so desire.
- Pull from the Deep and Mystic Retrieval are good options for re-casting your rituals/untap effects
- More free spells like Frantic Search or Rewind might be worth it. The latter can at worst counter your own spells with High Tide.
- I personally really like Eye of the Storm. It's expensive, it can backfire, but if you untap with it, it's almost impossible to lose. It goes effectively infinite with a lot of cards.
- Mizzix of the Izmagnus is almost definitely worth it.
- I think the 1-shot token producers are probably not that great. They're reasonably good with Purphoros, but I don't think that's worth 6 slots in the deck. Don't worry about creature count in Melek. A lot of Melek decks actually go creatureless for the Proteus Staff combo.
- Phyrexian Altar is probably really borderline unless you're running something like Fall of the Titans to just win without having to go an extra turn by saccing out all of your Empty the Warrens tokens.
- Strionic Resonator is at best a very situational fork in Melek. It's probably better to spend your mana on a cheap cantrip / draw spell like Gitaxian Probe or Treasure Cruise.
- Echo Mage is really expensive and vulnerable for its effect. You have to pump 7 mana and wait a turn to copy 1 spell. At that point, you're probably better off casting Eye of the Storm.
3 months ago
Yes you can.
From the wiki:
As off November 16, 2016, ten cards are banned in Pauper tournaments:
No cards are restricted in Pauper tournaments.
3 months ago
Some cool options in this list. Mana Severance and Ideas Unbound are pretty neat.
- Brainstorm is great for setting up Melek.
- Temporal Fissure probably belongs in main. If you're not running extra turns, bouncing all the lands is a good way to protect your board if you intend to win with Empty the Warrens.
- If you're setting up to protect an Empty the Warrens board, Rise from the Tides may be a worthwhile include.
- How do you stave off early aggression? The lack of mana rocks seems to indicate that your earliest viable combo turn is 5-7, which is plenty of time for an aggressive deck to kill you.
- I agree with the previous commenter that Curious Homunculus Flip is probably better than Deranged Assistant in this list.
- They may be too expensive to cast with this design, but other fun payoff options are Sphinx-Bone Wand and Eye of the Storm.
3 months ago
i really like this deck. +1 from me. i dont play EDH, but i want to, how fun is it? do you know any GOOD budget builds that incorporate my favorite colors, Blue, red, and black, in that order are my favorite to play. I was thinking about narset or nekusar for a while but narsets expensive for what i want to do, and i dont like the idea of sitting there playing wheel spells and draw cards all day, i dont care if it ALWAYS wins or not, but i want to have fun... and maybe crush a few souls along the way. anyways, i love how you put the card quotes, it actually made your deck interesting to look at. have you thought of any storm cards like Mind's Desire or Temporal Fissure or even the classical Empty the Warrens and Grapeshot. since you have thngs to net you a ton of plays, whether by mana or the broken epic expiriment.
3 months ago
It would be helpful in evaluating the deck if your description actually went in to more detail about your intended game plan and the interactions that the deck is built around. Without that information, it's hard to evaluate some of your choices.
Also, there's a lot of card choices here that are not great EDH cards. In some ways, this list looks a lot like if what you'd get if you took a reasonable 60-card constructed Izzet spells deck and brought it up to 100 cards by adding similar versions of the stuff that was great in the 60 card deck. Things like Rift Bolt, Vapor Snag, Delver of Secrets Flip and Monastery Swiftspear tend to be much worse in EDH than in normal games for a couple reasons:
- As a 40-life format, they're almost trivial when pointed at face. Shock only does the work of Gut Shot.
- Since the format tends to be slower, mana pools are larger and cheap, efficent spells that are so good in 60-card are massively outclassed by more powerful, more flexible options at higher CMCs. That's not to say that running a handful of cheap removals or counters isn't good, but you run a few of them to deal with very specific must-answer threats. They're not your bread and butter.
I'd also recommend cutting Browbeat. In EDH, nobody is really too sad to take 5. If you want to draw 3 cards, Treasure Cruise is just going to be insanely better. Mana Leak and Censor are probably going to be dead a huge portion of the time as well. Slightly more expensive hard counters are generally going to be better (or something like Arcane Denial, which is really good in EDH.
In terms of mana base, you probably want more mana rocks, too. While your average CMC isn't very high, your payoff cards are all pretty expensive and in a lot of cases, you're going to need to be casting a bunch of spells in a turn to really get things done. At the very least, I'd recommend adding Sol Ring and Izzet Signet. You might also consider something like Mind Stone or maybe even Dreamstone Hedron.
All that out of the way, there's some cards you might consider adding:
- Aetherflux Reservoir is a really common EDH storm-style deck win con. You don't need to gain much life to kill a player with it.
- Blasphemous Act is one of the best red board wipes (not sure if it'd be in budget or not)
- Burnished Hart is an all-around great ramp card
- Charmbreaker Devils is a huge threat that also gives you more spells to cast
- Docent of Perfection Flip fills a similar role to Talrand, which is one of the best cards in the deck already
- Echo Mage is an option for spell copying if you want to go really deep (probably the worst copier of what I've listed here)
- Empty the Warrens can flood the board pretty efficiently at the end of a big turn
- Insidious Will is a great counterspell in EDH
- Mana Geyser is absurdly broken in multiplayer EDH. It's more broken online where people tap out to F8, but it's still pretty good and can lead to an absurd Comet Storm.
- Nivix Guildmage is another way to copy spells wherever you need a mana sink
- Red Sun's Zenith is a repeatable Fireball
- Reverberate is incredibly flexible and cheap enough to be able to hold up easily
- Rise from the Tides is frequently a "board wipe or bust" level card in these kinds of decks
- Rite of Replication may be out of budget, but can win games on its own
- Seething Song is basically a free spells for triggering any of your payoff cards and can ramp to bigger X spells
- Spelltwine gives you 3 spell casts on its own
- Sphinx-Bone Wand gives incidental damage as you cast spells. You can frequently kill an opponent in one big turn with it.
- Temporal Fissure can utterly blow people out at the end of a big turn
- Treasure Cruise is legal in EDH and still utterly busted
- Volcanic Vision can be a one-sided board wipe
- Wild Ricochet is a super fun card in this sort of deck
Good luck with the deck :)
4 months ago
I gave it some more thought. I'm thinking of adding Peregrine Drake and/or Great Whale in addition to Paradox Engine. They can generate infinite mana with various combinations of Time Elemental, Capsize, High Tide and Caged Sun, which can bounce all enemy permanents.
Two other possible additional payoff cards might be Whispers of the Muse and Blue Sun's Zenith. Whisper is pretty low opportunity cost and can draw my entire deck when going infinite. Blue Sun's Zenith can mill out at least one opponent.
This would require a bunch of cuts. Some possible cuts: Ulamog's Crusher, Mulldrifter, Windfall, Sphinx of Uthuun, Deep-Sea Kraken, Recall and something else (maybe Artisan of Kozilek or Aether Gale... or maybe both and add Temporal Adept or Temporal Fissure.
I wonder if Empress Galina is worth it...
4 months ago
bushido_man96 The over all goal to my storm deck is to get your storm count high enough and them cast Tendrils of Agony to do a bunch of damage to my opponents. Or go with Temporal Fissure to reset the game for my opponents. By bouncing all of their permanents.