Creature — Treefolk Druid
When Tilling Treefolk enters the battlefield, you may return up to two target land cards from your graveyard to your hand.
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Tilling Treefolk occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.0%
Tilling Treefolk Discussion
6 days ago
Big Update 21.5.2020: I included the Tidal Bore Combo together with Whispers of the Muse. That makes the 4 landdroppers combo pieces and takes away a lot of pressure from Ghostly Flicker. Plus it balances the power of the Transmute tutors, because searching for cmc2 now gives you Tidal Bore which comboes with a landdropper (plus Sanctuary).
Next I finally made the decision to cut Trinket Mage and Relic. I have cut Relic before but didnt update it here. It felt good and then I asked myself why I am still running Trinket Mage. It really took me some time of testing until I was sure this decision is correct.
Next thing is that I wanna make a list of cards that I have tried out and that got cut somehow. There is 2 lists: First a list of cards that are very interchangeable with cards in the deck. Its just a matter of what you expect from your playgroup. Both powerlevel wise as well as archetype wise. Second there is a list of cards Im definitely sure that do not belong in the deck even it might surprise some people :)
LIST OF CARDS THAT CAN BE USED IF YOU WANT TO:
6 months ago
DivineKhaos, Kenrith's Transformation only hits creatures. Song of the Dryads can target any permanent. I removed Garruk Wildspeaker because 90% of the time I only use him to untap lands. Candelabra of Tawnos is significantly more powerful for that and costs only 1cmc.
6 months ago
6 months ago
Hi epsqm, glad to hear you're on the Tatyova side!! :)
1) The common killing line is just the combo, which you can achieve through several different lines. The most common line is to find Mystic Sanctuary and Ghostly Flicker as a start (together with Tatyova of course). From there on you only need some kind of mana acceleration like High Tide , Cloud of Faeries or Peregrine Drake and then you have infinite mana, infinite carddraw and infinite life. Finding this combo is the actual challenge of piloting this deck. Then you can finish by bouncing everyones permanents ( Capsize or Temporal Fissure ) into killing them with Adventuring Gear , yes, because your creatures also have infinite power then. I must admit that I am running a Gear-less list right now, and I am finishing through Compulsive Research :D The Gear has always been a dead card whereas Research can work as an actual card. Especially when you're trying to go off and youre only searching for the last piece of the puzzle, a card draw spell is nice to have. And even if they exile your graveyard with the Research in it, they will still lose the game if you bounce them all their permanents lol They can decide to either die fast or slowly :P It's not easy to come back without any lands, any other permanents and against a Tatyova player how could always go infinite on instant speed again ;) So basically with the combo you can lock everybody out not giving them any chance, even if you didnt have any other win con.
2) Sporemound has been in the list from my very first scratches on, and had to go as the very last part of "old, good ideas". The thing is: This deck is so fast at killing people through the combo, it actually hurts to slam down a 5drop that could be countered or removed and I would have been time walked then. Even in team games, I managed to kill with Tatyova like Turn6 even through some sort of removal and counterspells. But its really challenging, as I said. I have goldfished this list about 50 or 60 times and actually played it like 15 times. And its never boring because its so challenging to go for the right lines.
3) Relic of Progenitus has never been great for me, but I kinda do see the reason. I just feel you never really wanna play without a relic in your deck, especially if you're playing Trinket Mage nontheless. Feel free to exclude the Relic from your list, but there is other cruel combo decks out there as well. And sometimes other people wanna lock you out as well. I think I once used the Relic to break the Soulherder 's value chain, because he was blinking his Archaeomancer and always got his Counterspell back. Relic was my only way to break that lock, if I remember that game correctly. And sometimes Relic is just a bad cantrip and just fine.
4) Wormfang Newt is new to me, I have not seen this card, I will be thinking about that. Going off with Displace is super hard in this deck and Newt surely helps with that. The most difficult part is to find a slot for it. Thanks a lot for that suggestion.
5) Tilling Treefolk has been in and out. You gotta know: When I started building a Tatyova Deck, I was thinking about a great value deck with all the shenanigans. But then in the middle of the testing, Mystic Sanctuary got printed and suddenly the whole deck had the chance to become a great combo deck I noticed. So I went back to the drawing board and had to cut so many great but "just fair" cards ;) There isn't even a Mulldrifter in this deck anymore. And so even Treefolk had to go. And the Grixis Panorama and the Naya Panorama went with him.
I have about 80 cards (or more) that were in this deck, but had to go at some point.
6 months ago
Hey, I've been playing around with this build too, because Tatyova and lands that generate value is just awesome.
What's your typical kill look like? Adventuring Gear FTW, or just outlast/control with crazy value? I feel like I loop really effectively, but have some problems closing out the game. I was thinking about Sporemound as a way to throw a bunch of dorks on the field while Sanctuary is bouncing in and out.
How has Relic been? I'm kinda afraid of it since my graveyard is just a convenient place to store stuff I don't have room for in my hand, and I'd hate to loose it all.
Have you tried Wormfang Newt ? When you only have a Displace Mystic Sanctuary can still do work with him.
What about Tilling Treefolk for recurring Mystic if destroyed, or getting fetches back, or the lands sacrificed to Harrow and co.?
7 months ago
Thanks for the suggestions. I like that Winding Way allows for bringing in multiple creatures, but the advantages that Grisly Salvage has I believe outweigh Winding Way . Putting a variety of cards in the graveyard is important since I want to maximize the effect of Tilling Treefolk and Grim Discovery .
8 months ago
10 months ago
Don't know if you are still running this at all, but Tilling Treefolk is an upgrade over Cartographer. I have been fiddling with a more midrange build that goes Bant instead of Naya with Growth Spiral for ramp and instant speed shenanigans and Territorial Baloth and Wave-Wing Elemental as payoffs while still using Steppe Lynx, Jaddai Offshoot, and Snapping Gnarlid; Lynx and Gnarlid for earlier pressure and the Offshoot to stay in the game.