|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Creature — Treefolk Druid
When Tilling Treefolk enters the battlefield, you may return up to two target land cards from your graveyard to your hand.
Tilling Treefolk Discussion
2 weeks ago
Hi epsqm, glad to hear you're on the Tatyova side!! :)
1) The common killing line is just the combo, which you can achieve through several different lines. The most common line is to find Mystic Sanctuary and Ghostly Flicker as a start (together with Tatyova of course). From there on you only need some kind of mana acceleration like High Tide , Cloud of Faeries or Peregrine Drake and then you have infinite mana, infinite carddraw and infinite life. Finding this combo is the actual challenge of piloting this deck. Then you can finish by bouncing everyones permanents ( Capsize or Temporal Fissure ) into killing them with Adventuring Gear , yes, because your creatures also have infinite power then. I must admit that I am running a Gear-less list right now, and I am finishing through Compulsive Research :D The Gear has always been a dead card whereas Research can work as an actual card. Especially when you're trying to go off and youre only searching for the last piece of the puzzle, a card draw spell is nice to have. And even if they exile your graveyard with the Research in it, they will still lose the game if you bounce them all their permanents lol They can decide to either die fast or slowly :P It's not easy to come back without any lands, any other permanents and against a Tatyova player how could always go infinite on instant speed again ;) So basically with the combo you can lock everybody out not giving them any chance, even if you didnt have any other win con.
2) Sporemound has been in the list from my very first scratches on, and had to go as the very last part of "old, good ideas". The thing is: This deck is so fast at killing people through the combo, it actually hurts to slam down a 5drop that could be countered or removed and I would have been time walked then. Even in team games, I managed to kill with Tatyova like Turn6 even through some sort of removal and counterspells. But its really challenging, as I said. I have goldfished this list about 50 or 60 times and actually played it like 15 times. And its never boring because its so challenging to go for the right lines.
3) Relic of Progenitus has never been great for me, but I kinda do see the reason. I just feel you never really wanna play without a relic in your deck, especially if you're playing Trinket Mage nontheless. Feel free to exclude the Relic from your list, but there is other cruel combo decks out there as well. And sometimes other people wanna lock you out as well. I think I once used the Relic to break the Soulherder 's value chain, because he was blinking his Archaeomancer and always got his Counterspell back. Relic was my only way to break that lock, if I remember that game correctly. And sometimes Relic is just a bad cantrip and just fine.
4) Wormfang Newt is new to me, I have not seen this card, I will be thinking about that. Going off with Displace is super hard in this deck and Newt surely helps with that. The most difficult part is to find a slot for it. Thanks a lot for that suggestion.
5) Tilling Treefolk has been in and out. You gotta know: When I started building a Tatyova Deck, I was thinking about a great value deck with all the shenanigans. But then in the middle of the testing, Mystic Sanctuary got printed and suddenly the whole deck had the chance to become a great combo deck I noticed. So I went back to the drawing board and had to cut so many great but "just fair" cards ;) There isn't even a Mulldrifter in this deck anymore. And so even Treefolk had to go. And the Grixis Panorama and the Naya Panorama went with him.
I have about 80 cards (or more) that were in this deck, but had to go at some point.
3 weeks ago
Hey, I've been playing around with this build too, because Tatyova and lands that generate value is just awesome.
What's your typical kill look like? Adventuring Gear FTW, or just outlast/control with crazy value? I feel like I loop really effectively, but have some problems closing out the game. I was thinking about Sporemound as a way to throw a bunch of dorks on the field while Sanctuary is bouncing in and out.
How has Relic been? I'm kinda afraid of it since my graveyard is just a convenient place to store stuff I don't have room for in my hand, and I'd hate to loose it all.
Have you tried Wormfang Newt ? When you only have a Displace Mystic Sanctuary can still do work with him.
What about Tilling Treefolk for recurring Mystic if destroyed, or getting fetches back, or the lands sacrificed to Harrow and co.?
4 weeks ago
Thanks for the suggestions. I like that Winding Way allows for bringing in multiple creatures, but the advantages that Grisly Salvage has I believe outweigh Winding Way . Putting a variety of cards in the graveyard is important since I want to maximize the effect of Tilling Treefolk and Grim Discovery .
2 months ago
3 months ago
Don't know if you are still running this at all, but Tilling Treefolk is an upgrade over Cartographer. I have been fiddling with a more midrange build that goes Bant instead of Naya with Growth Spiral for ramp and instant speed shenanigans and Territorial Baloth and Wave-Wing Elemental as payoffs while still using Steppe Lynx, Jaddai Offshoot, and Snapping Gnarlid; Lynx and Gnarlid for earlier pressure and the Offshoot to stay in the game.
4 months ago
Mathmagician Thanks! I can see your point about Bull Elephant , I really wish it was 5/5 to trade with Gurmag as well. I guess I saw it as a way to place down more forests for Battlewand Oak , but it's definitely underwhelming.
And as far as landfall options, there aren't too many other options in green outside of Battlewand Oak which is the same as landfall for my deck. It's also triggered by another Battlewand or Tilling Treefolk entering. I could see maybe something like Grazing Gladehart for SB against burn or something.
Any suggestions to replace the elephant?
1 year ago
You are definitely on the right path, here's some suggestions, playtest them and see how they go
1 year ago
I've been testing the deck and i think you should add at least a one of Tilling Treefolk, maybe swap it for a horror of the broken land. I usually find myself without not enough black mana for the rats
Tilling Treefolk occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.0%