Whenever you cast a noncreature spell, creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn. Untap those creatures.
Whenever you cast a noncreature spell, you may draw a card. If you do, discard a card.
Printings View all
|Khans of Tarkir (KTK)||Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Jeskai Ascendancy Discussion
2 weeks ago
Hello again! Came across another card that made me think of your project: Whirlwind of Thought
- It gives you a repeatable source of card draw. I noticed the deck was very light in the card draw department, with mostly card filtering rather than true card draw (e.g. Frantic Search, Opt), or "impulsive draw" as it's been termed (e.g. Abbot of Keral Keep).
- It ties into the prowess / noncreature spell theme.
- It depicts airbending.
- A female airbender isn't a part of ATLA. You'd have to interpret it as Aang somewhere off-camera using airbending ON someone.... for SOME random reason....
- Function-wise, it isn't actually as strong or efficient as Jeskai Ascendancy (sadly, that card's art has zero flavor tie-in). Ascendancy effectively doubles your prowess buffs, and while not true card draw, the repeatable loot effect is good. And the untap clause is nothing to sneeze at -- aside from the pseudo-vigilance it gives, imagine the edge case of multiple noncreature spells you can cast and a Beguiler of Wills on board..... Man, if they someday reprint Ascendancy with better art, it's an auto-include in my book! Maybe you could get an altered-art version?? :)
Hope this comment finds you well. Cheers!
2 weeks ago
So I'm not a Kykar pilot, but from what I've seen of them they're a big fan of infinite combos. A few that I know of involve achieving infinite cast triggers to feed Kykar's token generation, coupled with damaging etb effects like Impact Tremors and Purphoros, God of the Forge. Sac damage outlets such as Goblin Bombardment and Barrage of Expendables also do the trick. Dramatic Reversal + Isochron Scepter is a big go to not only for infinite cast triggers, but infinite mana as well when combined with nonland mana producers. Another option would be to combine your Jeskai Ascendancy with a Retraction Helix and any 0-1 mana artifact. Use Helix to return your own artifact to your hand and then cast it. You'll then untap your creatures, make a spirit, sac the spirit for mana, and use Helix again to repeat the cycle. If you can do this with a 0 mana artifact it's also limitless creatures and mana. Good artifacts to use with this would be Everflowing Chalice, Spellbook, Sensei's Divining Top (not budget, I know, but it's a good pick for Kykar if you ever want to add more to it), and Sol Ring. There's also Arcane Adaptation and Bishop of Wings.
For general EDH deck building I think can be of some more use lol. Starting with your lands, I would recommend subbing out a lot of your lands that come in tapped. There are a lot of nice (fairly) budget options for multicolored lands like pain, filter, and check lands. If you can't find multicolored lands within your price range I would suggest just going with basics. Personally, I think that the speed benefit of a basic coming in untapped trumps the versatility that tapped lands will eventually provide.
As for rocks I'd recommend running the aforementioned Sol Ring and Everflowing Chalice. Sol Ring is just one of those cards that slots into just about every commander deck. As a general rule I try to avoid mana rocks at 3 cmc or above, just because that's around the point where they stop generating enough value to be worth running or even casting. You want your ramp to be hard and fast so that you can transition into making plays sooner. You don't want to be ramping on turn 5 when you could be pulling off big combos. In this regard you've already done really well in your selection, but I would suggest cutting Commander's Sphere and Chromatic Lantern. Lantern has its place in certain more color intensive decks, but I don't necessarily think you'll be needing it in a 3 color deck. Other good 2 cost options are Fellwar Stone, Mind Stone, and Prismatic Lens. Wayfarer's Bauble in your maybeboard is a good choice for this deck too.
You could probably use more efficient counters for controlling the board, like Counterspell. Some good commander counters include Swan Song, Flusterstorm, Delay, Negate, Dovin's Veto. Muddle the Mixture is a fantastic pick for flexible control and fetching your combo pieces. It hits both pieces of the Isochron combo, Bishop of Wings, and it can hit other valuable targets like Cyclonic Rift (another big commander card. Almost an auto include in blue decks). You'll also probably want to run more removal like Path to Exile, Swords to Plowshares, and Chaos Warp.
Finally, just as misc recommendations, I'd suggest swapping out Fumigate for Wrath of God. I'd also suggest adding in some mana sinks to win the game off of once you go infinite, like Comet Storm and Kumano, Master Yamabushi.
Overall this is really solid for a first time draft! I like your deck a lot and if you do decide to expand into commander I really hope you enjoy it. Hope this helped. :^)
1 month ago
jaymc1130 I'm honestly going to have to invest in Muddle the Mixture that's some affordable tech right there lol. As is, my play group frowns on infinite combos, but allows this one for me because I don't run a way to tutor for it, and when it happens I'm doing big things, like creating a million 1/1 spirits and killing with Impact Tremors, or casting it a million times to Aetherflux Reservoir everyone to death, or drawing my while deck with Whirlwind of Thought, Jeskai Ascendancy, Chromatic Orrery, or Idol of Oblivion and winning with Jace, Wielder of Mysteries, or drawing out Approach of the Second Sun twice, or if I'm feeling particularly cheesy I'll make a million mana and draw the game with Earthquake. I just love how unlike most infinite combos it lets me win the game in a bunch of crazy ways and I love the fact that the cards are amazing on their own, if my group asks me not to use the infinite combo I'll just slap a counterspell on that bad boy and get real mean lol
1 month ago
Hey, nice version of Elsha. I saw your forum topic asking for help with cuts.
Six cards to cut to make 100 cards:
- Remember the Fallen: lackluster recursion.
- Danitha Capashen, Paragon: doesn't reduce all artifact casting costs only equipment which makes her not as good as other cost reducers since she doesn't work with the Top combo.
- Krenko, Tin Street Kingpin: creature who's not good enough to disrupt Elsha.
- Ghostly Prison: I don't think you need both Prison and Propaganda, one could be cut.
- Blackblade Reforged: only good if you have a lot of lands, but you don't want a lot of lands with Elsha.
- Basilisk Collar: not a fan unless you're playing ways to take advantage of deathtouch and you can get lifelink from better equipment.
When you want more cuts look to reducing some redundancy:
- Puresteel Paladin is much better than Brass Squire.
- Padeem, Consul of Innovation is much better than Leonin Abunas.
- Sword of Vengeance is better with Elsha than Sigiled Sword of Valeron and Batterskull for vigilance since also gives trample. Valeron is a supbar equipment for the same costs as Vengeance and Batterskull not giving evasion is a big drawback.
- Hammer of Nazahn is better than Darksteel Plate.
All the Swords in the cycle can be good for different budgets, but when you have the three better expensive price ones then you don't need to play the others. Sword of Body and Mind, Sword of War and Peace, Sword of Truth and Justice are not as good as the others and could be cut.
Some cards to consider adding:
- Enlightened Tutor, Whir of Invention, Reshape, Fabricate: tutor for an equipment or Top.
- Foundry Inspector, Cloud Key: other artifact mana cost reducers for the combo with Top.
- Izzet Signet, Azorius Signet, Boros Signet: add the Signets in place of lands.
- Jeskai Ascendancy: is like giving Elsha pseudo vigilance with instant speed surprise untap/pump her to block and draw.
Good luck with your deck.
1 month ago
Have you considered Kyren Negotiations? For me, that card, especially coupled with Jeskai Ascendancy has killed whole tables. Just being able to tap the spirits before I use them for mana and then get damage through? It has been delicious.
1 month ago
This is an interesting build. You might like these: Flurry of Wings, Beck / Call, Docent of Perfection Flip, Murmuring Mystic, Keep Watch, Mindmoil, Arjun, the Shifting Flame, The Locust God, Chasm Skulker, Jeskai Ascendancy, Ogre Battledriver, Shared Animosity, Ohran Frostfang, Druids' Repository, Reconnaissance Mission, Derevi, Empyrial Tactician
1 month ago
gavriel1136 - It definitely could be good enough. While a lot of my individual threats don't begin as large enough power where the extra damage (mainly provided by granting the equipped creature double strike) is that significant, there are probably sufficient ways to boost them up that it could be worthwhile. Cathars' Crusade, Jeskai Ascendancy, and Shared Animosity can each make even small creatures scary threats, and some creatures also have prowess which can turn them into much larger threats. That being said, I would need to find a cut. I think a likely candidate is Primal Amulet Flip. The card has felt kind of slow and clunky in this deck. In addition, the four-drop slot is way too crowded right now in this list, so this would help relieve some of the pressure on that slot.
2 months ago
cards that might help with card draw would be Sensei's Divining Top Jeskai Ascendancy and maybe a Mystic Remora and then Otherworld Atlas and Temple Bell are 2 that help everyone so you might be able to use them for politicking and other win cons with Elsha i've seen are using Isochron Scepter and Dramatic Reversal to go infinite and then use that to get a Aetherflux Reservoir up and running or bounce back everyone else's board with Temporal Fissure and then there's Scroll of the Masters to make it even easier to make Elsha a one shot with your Manifold Key