|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Time Spiral (TSP)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Enchantment — Aura
Enchanted creature's activated abilities can't be played.
(1)(White): Attach Detainment Spell to target creature.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Detainment Spell Discussion
5 days ago
Nice deck!I like your approach - you use most powerful cards in each color. Also i consider your work on categorization of cards.
There is few cards you may like to your "stax" theme:Rhystic Deluge can tap
Rishadan Cutpurse can force your opponents to sacrifice permanents and great with flickers
Escape Routes will bounce your Palace Guard when its about to dead or serch more auras with Heliod's Pilgrim
Righteous Aura is better then any circle of protection (i guess)
Detainment Spell better then Arrest and Faith's Fetters, because you have alot of prevent already, but this cheaper
Field Surgeon save your creatures from Pestilence or such
Soltari Visionary maybe fine, considering you have only 1 enchantment removal
Snuff Out better then Doom Blade because it can be played for
2 weeks ago
PartyJ first of all, thank you for this and the previous comment,
yep I already run Prison Term. Of course Kirtar's Desire is narrow, but not too much. It can stop a good variety of strategies, from Brago himself to Trygon Predator, from Rafiq of the Many to eldrazi's annihilator trigger.
The good thing is that you do it for just 1 mana, and often you cantrip. It's functionally a Secluded Steppe with a free pacifism attached to it (threshold is semi-reliable). Even when you don't really need it, you can always find a target to have it replace itself for cheap. I like to have multiple of these effects because they can indirectly turn into Sram being unblockable too, and also they are the most safe type of auras that are less incline to 2-for-1 situations when removed.Of course, I tutor for Prison Term or Darksteel Mutation if I need one badly, but I kept the Desire (over regular Pacifism) because of its efficiency and to cover a 1-cmc slot.
Detainment Spell would be its complementary version, hitting only abilities, with possibility to move it, like prison term.
Gelid Shackles I feel is the morst versatile, I don't think you can get more efficient than that for just 1 mana. I use snow plains in my other mono white deck on paper so I technically already have them.
2 weeks ago
I tried Empyrial Plate a little bit, just a few games in which I tried to tutor for it whenever possible. Seems pretty good, so much better than Strata Scythe. I'm wondering if its aura counterpart Empyrial Armor is worth considering, it's hard to make room for too many things.
Also, I'm thinking if Kirtar's Desire should be swapped with something like Detainment Spell or Gelid Shackles. Shackles looks like the better option but it would require to switch all the plains to snow plains
2 months ago
Thanks for the suggestions! Yes, I have seen Heliod's Pilgrim... and I can't tell you a good reason why it wasn't in the deck other than I don't really like playing a lot of tutors. It is now in the deck. Boonweaver Giant and Auratouched Mage are a backup plan if Sram is attracting too much hate. The plan is to grab Flickerform, then try to stabilize by grabbing one of the indestructible auras or Spectra Ward and Pariah. (Then go voltron from there)
In my initial list, I did have Detainment Spell, however it is not very good in my meta. There is Angry Omnath, Meren, Rashmi, Oloro, Animar and Athreos... all of which have triggered abilities. If people start playing commanders with activated abilities, I will look into it again.
2 months ago
Hi. few suggestions:
Have you seenHeliod's Pilgrim? is nice tutor, faster than Boonweaver Giant.
What about Detainment Spell depending on your meta it could be relevant if there any Thrasios, Tasigur, Oona, or another commander with an activated ability.
1 year ago
Maybe stuff like Curse of Exhaustion, Arcane Laboratory, Eidolon of Rhetoric, or Rule of Law. Derevi's ability jumps around the global effects nicely. Erayo, Soratami Ascendant and Jace, Unraveler of Secrets might work as well. Should frustrate the Maelstrom player a little bit when they can't cast the spells off of the double cascade.
Assuming the Niv-Mizzet is built as a combo, give it shroud with stuff like Alexi's Cloak, Aspect of Mongoose, Diplomatic Immunity, Favorable Destiny, Mystic Veil, or Robe of Mirrors. (Hexproof might be better actually.) Alternatively, lock-out it's activated ability or give yourself hexproof with Abeyance,Aegis of the Gods, Arrest, Azorius Guildmage, Bind, Detainment Spell, Encrust, Faith's Fetters, Gelid Shackles, Ice Cage, Interdict, Ivory Mask, Katabatic Winds, Krasis Incubation, Leyline of Sanctity, Linvala, Keeper of Silence, Lost in Thought, Orbs of Warding, Peace Talks, Phyrexian Revoker, Pithing Needle, Serra Bestiary, Squelch, Stifle, Stupefying Touch, Suppression Bonds, Trickbind, Voidstone Gargoyle, or Volrath's Curse. I feel like throwing a Pemmin's Aura on it could lead to some interesting politics.
Obviously some of these cards are better than others, but that's everything I've got.
1 year ago
Ok, here is some replacements i can suggest:
- Deepfathom Skulker -> Coastal Piracy or Snake Umbra, or Tandem Lookout
- Enlightened Ascetic -> Reclamation Sage is much better
- Ethereal Usher -> Eladamri's Call
- Felidar Sovereign -> Courser of Kruphix - great buget variation of Oracle of Mul Daya
- Frontier Guide -> Wood Elves, Coiling Oracle, Avacyn's Pilgrim, Birds of Paradise
- Gigantoplasm -> Phyrexian Metamorph is much better
- Giltspire Avenger -> for creature spot removal I reccomend to use something of these - Swords to Plowshares, Grasp of Fate
- Hixus, Prison Warden -> Fiend Hunter faster and can be a combo piece
- Isperia, Supreme Judge -> maybe something more fast for drawing cards, like Rhystic Study, or more faster for pilowfort effects like Propaganda
- Kithkin Spellduster -> Qasali Pridemage
- Nephalia Smuggler -> Eldrazi Displacer
- Reya Dawnbringer -> Sun Titan must have in almost any deck
- Silent Arbiter -> This could be a problem for you too, maybe Propaganda or Ghostly Prison?
- Silent Sentinel -> very slow and returns only enchantments, I would reccomend Eternal Witness or at least Starfield of Nyx
- Trophy Hunter -> Barrin, Master Wizard with your commander could be very nasty
- Arenson's Aura -> any good counterspell instead of that is much better
- Bower Passage -> Aura of Silence a good staple in any stax and other prison decks
- Detainment Spell -> Oblivion Ring
- Zendikar Resurgent -> Mirari's Wake