Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
As this enters the battlefield, note your life total.
At the beginning of your upkeep, draw a card if your life total is greater than or equal to the last noted life total for this. Then note your life total, replacing your last note.
Whenever you cast a white spell, you gain 1 life.
1 month ago
Hi Phule451! Thanks for the suggestions, encouragement, and comment and welcome to the conversation! I actually had Cosmos Elixir in the deck until the most recent update. It synergizes well and I have a beautiful foil full-art copy, but at 4cmc it's high for a draw piece and it came down to cutting this or Sigarda's Splendor and I chose to keep the latter for now. That being said, it is a good card, and it could go back in if I miss it. I can definitely consider Irregular Cohort and two bodies are good- I think my general thing about changelings is that they don't fly, which is why I generally prefer actual angels, though I could change my mind. At this phase we're working with a new commander and I am trying to be as open-minded as possible! If you play the deck and try it out, definitely let us know how you like it as it will help us all going forward!
1 month ago
Hi toolmakesmedrool! Have you thought about switching to Giada, Font of Hope? I can testify that she is super strong, and the deck has been amazing for me so far. You'll want to lower your curve a bit with some weenie angels, but she can goldfish and win quickly, and Lyra is still a key support piece. I'd definitely recommend it along with some great new draw engines like Sigarda's Splendor, Eye of Vecna, and Tome of Legends.
1 month ago
Hart is a great card, and research suggests it's one of the winningest cards in EDH, so naturally in a monowhite deck that a land ramp piece like this would seem to be great. I think the issue for it here is it just isn't fast enough for the deck. Giada doesn't need to ramp a lot to be relevant, and in testing I've found that we often have something more urgent to do cast it initially or sac it to get the lands. It's still a great card, but likely better suited to more controlling decks. What is amazing in this deck, however, are cards that discount creature spells like Herald's Horn, as we can use them to more easily put out multiple pieces in a turn at discount. Making your four drops three drops is incredible acceleration that suits our gameplan just fine. And Medallion does this not just for our creature spells, but any spell in white. It's fabulous!
Elixir is theoretically a good card in this deck as it can draw cards off life-gain or gain life. The problem is it never does both, it draws one extra card per turn at most, and costs 4 mana for the privilege. It's equivalent card would be Sigarda's Splendor, but that always gains us life, and is simply based on not having lost life from the last noted turn, which is more reliable. Banner costs more, but its floor is replacing every angel we cast with a card, and its ceiling is drawing several cards in a turn, so it's better all around. The anthem is just gravy.
While a fabulous card, Giada's ability ensures that we won't draw cards with angels off of vampire. It will definitely find a home in a new deck. Mask of Memory, however, is great. It costs two and equips for one, meaning an easy early line of play would be to cast it turn three, attack it to Giada, and get an engine going. We get to draw two cards and then discard the one in our hand we need least, which allows us to be up a card while moving through the deck to what we need. Sometimes we might even discard a good card only to recur it with another later, so there are lots of nice little possibilities with this one.
So far we've replaced subpar draw with better draw, but no we are upping our count. I've never like entity, but I thought it might be better here since Giada gives it counters that make it more resilient when not being pumped. Still though, like all changelings, its an angel that doesn't fly, which is wicked annoying. Moreover, while its ability is a powerhouse with 1/1 tokens which can be turned to 4 power with 4 mana, it's not so great when the average power of an angel is already 3/3 or 4/4. It will weaken some of your angels, and where it improve them it takes a monstrous amount of mana to do so. Finally, while one might be tempted to add Reveillark to complete the combo with entity and Karmic Guide, we have to remember that Giada shuts entity off from killing the board, effectively shutting down the combo. It's just bad, trust me. This is where a lot of online deck tech's fail. They just throw it in because its an "angel" and a generically good card without thinking through the consequences! Meanwhile, while costly Sanctuary Warden is an absolute powerhouse. It immediately replaces itself, and can draw cards more cards this way for free by being blinked with Sword of Hearth and Home. It's an engine that draws us cards every turn, and we can use our plentiful supply of +1/+1 counters to power it, leaving the shield counters to protect it from most removal and board wipes. It's an all-star card.
I'm hoping I don't regret going down to 35 lands, but I think the deck can sustain it, especially when we are upping the draw. Tome is an amazingly good and underrated card. It can net us an extra card the turn we cast it, and can draw one every turn as long as we attack with out commmander, something that isn't too hard to do here. Keep in mind, Giada has vigilance, so even if we want to tap her to cast an angel we can always do so on our second main phase! The best part of this card is that it costs only two mana, allowing us often to ramp it out turn three with another angel or put it out early with another two drop. It's been great in other decks and I expect no less here!
This might be a more controversial cut, but I don't think I need the ramp map theoretically provides, and it can be a tricky card to play here. Ideally you'd want to get this down turn three, in order to ramp lands based upon your opponent's turns, but you'll have to discard if you do unless you played a one drop turn one. It's not as great late game, and the ramp is conditional based on having the extra land in hand and not missing a land drop, which can happen without enough draw. Eye immediately replaces itself and draws one card every turn for the low cost of 2 life, which we aren't worried about at all here. The only downside is that Angel of Jubilation shuts it down, but that is a narrow enough case that it isn't worth not playing a 2cmc draw spell over.
We have plenty of removal and I think we can afford to cut our least relevant piece. Together Forever is amazing, cheap, efficient protection for our entire board, including Giada. It can save our stuff from being destroyed by removal or damage, and has value as repeatable single-target protection and board wipe protection. I expect this to be an all-star piece.
I hated these cycling lands in early testing because they are just not worth having the lands come into play tapped. War Room and Enclave actually draw us cards, and come into play untapped. Sure, 4 mana is a lot for a single card, but there are times we will be happy for it, and in a monocolored deck the colorless nature isn't too much of a drawback.
Why not attack lifegain to a land? Sanctuary is just an obvious card for this build that I somehow missed the first time around. Zone is a deeply underrated card that allows you once in a game to get the jump on your opponents by becoming a one turn Vedalken Orrery. The element of surprise is what often wins you games in aggressive decks, and this card allows for that!
So that's the first update! I'll have updates to the primer coming later today or tomorrow. Hope this helps all of you as you build and play the deck!
1 month ago
Hi ladypickleton! This looks like fun! Oloro is what drew me into commander, and I always envisioned myself building him, though strangely I never did! Since you're running Sanguine Bond and Exquisite Blood I am guessing you aren't averse to combos. I know you've run this for awhile, so maybe you tried flashing out Test of Endurance or Felidar Guardian with Leyline of Anticipation, Vedalken Orrery, or, in the latter case, Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir. I always thought that would be a fun alternative win con. I'd also think that Propaganda and Norn's Annex could be good complements to Crawlspace and Ghostly Prison if you need more pillowfort elements. Beyond that Teferi's Ageless Insight and Alhammarret's Archive can be good draw more pieces, and Sigarda's Splendor and Cosmos Elixir, while pricey in mana, can be great draw engines in a lifegain deck.
1 month ago
Hi AaKkisa! I've written a primer on this deck and we have some discussion on that page which I'll link below. In the meantime, I'll give some thoughts!
I think you have a lot of things right here. You have a lot of good weenie angels, which is key. You have some good draw engines, though in my opinion leaning a bit more into lifegain and playing Well of Lost Dreams is really good. I might also cut one of the more pricey draw engines like The Immortal Sun in favor of something more synergistic like Sigarda's Splendor, but that's just me. Thorough Investigation is also a great draw engine in my experience that costs only three. I'd also add The Book of Exalted Deeds so as to complete your angel token making suite. I also think you could afford to drop a board wipe, particularly Wrath of God which hits your own stuff. There is at least one good angel I don't see in Angelic Sleuth, which gives you lots of draw in a wipe or mass blink situation. The biggest thing I would change is ramp. Since you always have Giada turn two, one and three mana ramp pieces are often better than 2cmc ones, and you don't need as much ramp as in another deck. Some of the colorless 2cmc cards like Mind Stone or ones that enter tapped like Marble Diamond are lesss ideal. Cards like Herald's Horn, or land fetchers like Sword of Hearth and Home and Dowsing Dagger Flip are better.
At any rate, I hope that's of help, but you can also check out my approach here in the below primer if you are interested!
Commander / EDH
SCORE: 22 | 24 COMMENTS | 740 VIEWS | IN 9 FOLDERS
1 month ago
Having articulated my thinking on cards I may soon add, I'll add some of my candidates for cuts for everyone's input.
2) Cosmos Elixir Though this card is great, synergizes well, and I have a gorgeous foil copy if it, it costs 4 mana and is pretty conditional in how it draws cards. Its kind of between this and Sigarda's Splendor, and splendor is far better and also more on theme.
3) Plains- It might be risky to cut another land, but with enhanced draw and my curve I think I might be able to get away with it. I do in my Mardu Humans deck and I think this will perform similarly.
4) Disenchant My removal is pretty robust in this deck, so I think I can get away with cutting the worst one.
5) Mirror Entity This might just be that I have never like this card, so this might be a bad idea. Let me know what you think!
6) Angelic Page This card isn't great, but it curves out well and has helped me drop multiple angels early. It might also be an easy turn three play with any of my other 2 cmc support pieces. It's never been good on its own, but I'm leaning towards keeping it.
7) Emeria Angel 4 drop angels are especially good in this deck (since we can always play them turn 3). I just wonder if we need a bird generator or not.
8) Cycling lands- I've decided in my brief testing that I don't like these much, but it might keep Secluded Steppe due to its efficiency. Coming in tapped is pretty bad in this deck, so we need a good justification for that.
1 month ago
It's funny you mention that, because I play both those in other lists and totally forgot about them. KBK7101 reminded me about the latter, but I love Tome of Legends and it is a card people forget about that's really great. It also drops my card draw piece curve a bit. At 4cmc with Well of Lost Dreams, Sigarda's Splendor, and Cosmos Elixir are a lot. I also need to replace Welcoming Vampire because barring having Emeria Angel out I probably won't have enough weenies to make it worth it.
I'll definitely check out your list and upvote it too! There's no shame in wanting people to help us use the algorithms to help people who need it find our stuff, which is the main thing that we are doing! Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions!
2 months ago
So I am really digging this deck but, I see you have the same issue that most mono white decks have which is card draw. A few cards that you might want to consider to help on the draw front are, Sigarda's Splendor, Cosmos Elixir, Rogue's Gloves and,Mask of Memory. I have personally found the last two equipments work really well in my angel deck as your creatures already have evasion.
From the creature front here are a few creatures I would condsider adding:
- Speaker of the Heavens Not an angel but a really strong one drop in a deck like this.
- Serra Avenger is a super strong two drop angel and would help to lower your overall curve.
- Angel of Finality is really good graveyard hate against graveyard decks.
- Angel of Jubilation is not only an anthem for this deck but will shutdown any aristocrats strategy.
- Herald of War can be a good option to help lower your mana cost in this deck if you can find ways to reliably give it +1/+1 counters.
- Radiant, Archangel don't sleep on this card because she get +1/+1 for each other creature with flying on the battlefield. Radiant can quickly become a 10/10 or bigger with little effort from you. The vigilance is icing on the cake.
- Angelic Skirmisher is better than she looks because you get to choose which ability you give your creatures each combat.
- Angel of Vitality would be a really strong angel in your deck. Not only will she be a 3 mana 4/4 angel most games but she also will make every source in your deck that gains you life gain you an additional life. That extra lifegain will add up really fast.
A few other cards you might want to consider:
- Basilisk Collar is a cheap equipment that gives Lyra Deathtouch. Deathtouth and First Strike are a really good combo and would stop people from attacking into your board if Lyra is untapped.
- Bonders' Enclave basically a second War Room in your deck.
- Path of Ancestry you are in a tribal deck so why not scry when you play your angels?
- Ajani, Strength of the Pride don't think of him as a planeswalker in your deck, most cases he is going to be a 4 mana onesided boardwipe. Even if you can't ultimate him as soon as he comes down the other two abilities are still very relevant in your deck.
- Sword of the Animist is a really strong card in general but, in this deck it can become consistant ramp.
- Keeper of the Accord if you have never played with him he can quickly pull you back into the game if you have been missing land drops. I have had games where I play him and by my next turn I have 3 additional plains in play. Plus the first ability that makes tokens can make relevant blockers.
- Mangara, the Diplomat is really good white card draw plus he has the bonus of having lifelink which is useful in this deck.
- Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire replace a plains with this card. At worst it is a plains but, othertimes it can become a clutch removal spell.
- Emeria's Call Flip I would replace one of your plains with this card as well. At worst it is a plains that you have to pay 3 life to have it come in untapped but, when you don't need the land it is a 7 mana make two 4/4 angels which is pure upside in this deck.
- Starnheim Unleashed at worst this is a 4 mana Serra Angel which is already a better rate than a lot of your angels in this deck but, if you Foretell it then this card can single handedly win you the game.
Lastly you have a lot of 7 and 8 mana drop angels in this deck and unless they are actively winning you the game as soon as they come down then I would consider removing them. Think about it, for the same mana as Akroma, Angel of Wrath I could play Insurrection which can win me the game as soon as the spell resolves. That being said Insurrection is not even a spell that I actively play due to it costing so much mana. Just food for thought as I would personally consider removing some of your bigger angels for some of the lower costed angels I listed above as it would help to smooth out your curve and make your games more consistent.
Still really cool deck!