|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Masters 25 (A25)||None|
|Time Spiral "Timeshifted" (TSB)||Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
|Promo set for Gatherer (PSG)||None|
Combos Browse all
: Gain .
: Target 1/1 creature gets +1/+2 until end of turn.
3 weeks ago
As it is you're probably right in thinking that the deck is too slow. Infect is typically aggro/combo, and gets quick wins in through pump spells. Scale Up is great, but consider some of the following as well:
- Mutagenic Growth (excellent as a 0-mana spell)
- Vines of Vastwood (both protection and, when kicked, a pump spell. It's amazing!)
- Groundswell (although better if you can afford fetches)
- Might of Old Krosa
In terms of mana, Golgari Rot Farm is definitely too slow. Woodland Cemetery is not ideal, as it doesn't come in untapped turn one, but it is a reasonable alternative. Fetches and shocks are of course great, but Blooming Marsh is a good choice too. Lands 1-3 are typically far more important than anything else for Infect.
My final suggestion for now would be to put Deathmark and Surgical Extraction in the sideboard, unless your local meta is particularly skewed. Even then, you should probably focus on your own plan more than disrupting other people's with infect.
1 month ago
I would consider the classic Heritage Druid + Nettle Sentinel Combo, but I'm not sure how broken that would be w/o Glimpse of Nature . It's pretty fast and is great because Heritage Druid's ability ignores summoning sickness.
Otherwise, this seems pretty solid. I would maybe suggest lowering the Oran-Rief, the Vastwood count since it comes in tapped and you probably want it to be a bit faster than that. Also, you may want to think about switching your Woodland Cemetery for Overgrown Tomb , and adding a couple of Pendelhaven (which I'm pretty sure is legal in modern).
It may also help to add in an Ezuri, Renegade Leader or two, just so that there is another win condition in the deck.
Otherwise, it looks pretty fun and I might try it out sometime.
2 months ago
The deck needs at least one Pendelhaven .
I don't think you have enough things to fill your graveyard for Become Immense to be really useful. You'd need a bunch of fetchlands, budget permitting. If not, I'd replace them.
What's your opinion on Supernatural Stamina as a pump/protection spell? It's kinda like Blossoming Defense , in that it adds 2 power, and can prevent opponents from killing your dudes, but these can't protect during combat, but could protect from a sorcery-speed Supreme Verdict , or end-of-turn Diabolic Edict .
Depending on your metagame, you can run Carrion Call in the sideboard for control opponents, because casting it at the end of the opponent's turn can pressure their resources enough to create an opening.
3 months ago
4 months ago
So after sharing ideas and looking at the direction you were headed with your list i made one of my own. Calling it Retribution Rock. So subtle differences from yours and reasons. Dryad Arbor over a Pendelhaven . i like the idea of fetching a creature to sacrifice. Other lands that peak my interest for this deck Mutavault Bojuka Bog Llanowar Reborn So a huge reason i ran Aether Vial was because of how difficult it can be casting double and triple colors. Many opponents will board in Blood Moon against me even when i was running 4 Channeler Initiate and 4 vials, and surprisingly it always tempo'd me or sometimes shut me down. So Sylvan Caryatid helps reach that triple black, since casting Geralf's Messenger is priority in this build, having a hexproof manadork helps ensure one hits the board. Also the big butt on Caryatid triggers evolve, and can absorb 2 -1/-1 counters from Plague Belcher in a pinch. Speaking of, that extra damage from a zombie dying from the Belcher can really mean the difference, hence i strongly believe in running a playset. I really look forward to my Tuesday night modern. I really look forward to pilot the deck and have creative lines of attacking and interacting with Retribution. Will report back with how it fares.
4 months ago
Well, looking at it, almost every card has an enormously weaker budget option:
- 4x Walking Ballista / Triskelion
- 4x Arcbound Worker / Sparring Construct
- 4x Arcbound Ravager / Arcbound Slith
- 2x Dark Confidant / Pain Seer
- 4x Hangarback Walker / Hooded Hydra
- 4x Steel Overseer / Chronomaton
- 3x Welding Jar / Herbal Poultice
- 1x Animation Module
- 4x Darksteel Citadel
- 4x Forest
- 4x Inkmoth Nexus / Dread Statuary
- 2x Overgrown Tomb / Foul Orchard
- 1x Pendelhaven / Hashep Oasis
- 1x Phyrexia's Core / Claws of Gix
- 3x Wooded Foothills / Evolving Wilds
The deck would suck enormously, but it would be a deck. Are there any better budget options I missed?
6 months ago
I don't see the "Devastating Speed" portion of the deck. You have no 1 drops. An INFECT deck has NO 1 drops. That's not "Devastating Speed", that's derogatory and slow. You need, Need, NEED Glistener Elf . Or at the very least, Blight Mamba .
Instead of using black kill spells, use spells like Distortion Strike or Aqueous Form to get past blockers. You can also use cards like Simic Charm or Apostle's Blessing to get past blockers or defend against trouble creatures. Vines of Vastwood , Apostle's Blessing , Simic Charm , and Veil of Secrecy can do multiple things as well as protecting your creatures. Pendelhaven is an important part of any Infect deck.
Black is just too slow for even a mildly competitive Infect deck, because EVERYTHING is at least 3 mana, which for an Infect deck is WAAY to expensive mana wise.
@itachi45 Help me out here.
7 months ago
Cool idea: feels quite a bit like a nice variant of the Oops All Lands deck that I see not so infrequently. Here are some thoughts (that might not have hurt too much):
- Do you have a way to consistently deal with Blood Moon ? It's not looking like it, so I would recommend Engineered Explosives , Krosan Grip , or counterspells like Daze . Maybe one or two basics could be good to provide the extra colors you'd need.
- Life from the Loam is a possibility for you to get more land cards at record speed, plus you can dump more lands into your graveyard (for more fun!).
- Pendelhaven , if used judiciously, is an extra boost for your manlands. Plus, it's green.
- I commonly see Karakas in sideboards or main decks, because a lot of creatures running around that can cause problems are legendary. While off color, it's maybe not a bad idea for the bonus effect.
- I don't like Temple of the False God in here. I'd think Ancient Tomb might serve you better... or maybe run a copy of Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth .
Pendelhaven occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.14%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%