Commander / EDH
SCORE: 341 | 250 COMMENTS | 44053 VIEWS | IN 103 FOLDERS
More changes —Aug. 27, 2018
Made 3 more changes: Took out
- Runic Armasaur - didn't work out the way I hoped.
- Garruk's Packleader - moved on to bigger and better card advantage.
- Mimic Vat - still a great card, but moved on to a better defensive strategy.
Right. I don't play Commander really, care to explain why it isn't legal? Does it count as a black creature due to the hybrid mana cost, and therefore it can't be played as your commander is strictly green?
July 20, 2018 10:37 a.m.
Since you are concerned with your lack of Green removal, have you considered Song of the Dryads? I have found that card's ability to remove an enemy commander, without causing a zone change, to be invaluable, as you can lock a commander (particularly one lacking Blue/White/Green for enchantment removal) out of the game for an extended period of time.
Baconfish, you are sort-of correct. A creature with a hybrid mana in its cost will be both colours of that symbol - Deity of Scars, for example, is both Green and Black, regardless of what colours are spent to cast it.
However, Deity of Scars being black is not why it cannot be played in this deck. Commander cares about Colour identity, not the creature's colour. Colour Identity cares about the mana symbols in the card's cost, any mana sybmols in the card's rules text, and any colour indicator or characteristic defining ability that influences colour. In this case, it would not make a difference, as it is the mana cost (and therefore also the card's colour) that disqualifies Deity of Scars. However, there are mono-Green creatures which cannot be played in a deck with a mono-Green Colour identity. (One tiny note that confuses many people - only the rules text on a card matters. Colour symbols in reminder text does not count - thus, you can play Basilica Guards in a deck lacking Black, despite the in Extort's reminder text.
July 20, 2018 11:08 a.m.
you basically answered your own question baconfish but that is the answer if you want the strict rule on commander colour identity and cards its "903.4. The Commander variant uses color identity to determine what cards can be in a deck with a certain commander. The color identity of a card is the color or colors of any mana symbols in that card’s mana cost or rules text, plus any colors defined by its characteristic-defining abilities (see rule 604.3) or color indicator (see rule 204)"
July 20, 2018 11:12 a.m.
cdkime I've tested it in the past and it worked ok in my playgroup. We run a lot of artifact/enchantment removal and it never lasted long. But it may be time to try it out again, Because I really love the card.
July 20, 2018 2:44 p.m.
And sorry Kamerot, I'll stop cluttering your comment section now.
July 20, 2018 5:55 p.m.
No need to apologize. Like you said. You don't play commander, so it's all good.
July 20, 2018 6:01 p.m.
Thank You! It's taken a long time and a lot of work, but it's a blast to play
July 31, 2018 9:41 p.m.
Nice deck, +1 for sure.
I run it on my Yisan and it helps a lot being another Cradle to abuse later.
August 6, 2018 12:50 p.m.
I had it in when Ixalan dropped. But my playgroup would either immediately destroy it or bounce or destroy it in response to it transforming, so I opted to take it out because I just never got to use it. I still have it sitting in my rares, so I may give it another shot.
August 6, 2018 1:08 p.m.
Staff of Domination isn't banned in commander now so maybe that? It can be used with a few of your other cards to produce infinite mana super fast. And of course then it enables all of the other effects on the card. And it's really funny to use Kamahl to turn your Cradle into a 1/1 that interacts with the Staff as a surprise. Most people don't think of that until they see you do it.
August 10, 2018 7:43 p.m.
That is a very awesome idea. I'm in the middle of testing out a few cards currently and I don't think one of them is gonna pan out, so I'll have to throw this in there. Thanks!!
August 10, 2018 8:14 p.m.
It's worth it! I've done it MANY times. In agro decks, I tend to use the staff to draw my entire deck, drop a Concordant Crossroads and swing with everything.
August 11, 2018 2:20 a.m.
I'm already scouring ebay for a foil one. Lol thanks again
August 11, 2018 3:01 a.m.
All I can see when I look at your name is Kakarot (Goku from DBZ). Anways, since you're running mono green, your mana base could use some utility in there. I understand you need green mana for your commander's ability but some utility is key.
Cavern of Souls - 30% of your deck is creatures and you run boseju but not this?
Hall of the Bandit Lord - Haste outlet that doesnt help your opponents or take a slot in the deck. Worth considering.
Miren, the Moaning Well - Used to prevent them from stealing your commander or exiling important creatures. Life gain is always nice too :)
Petrified Field - Getting back cradle or utility land
Yavimaya Hollow - Regen your commander? Yes please! Also a RL card so good investment.
Tempt with Discovery - Gets cradle untapped (very underated card). Add it.
Crop Rotation - Helps lower your curve, find's cradle, could replace concordant crossroad at the 1 CMC slot (if you choose to add in hall of the bandit lord). Slyvan scrying is your only way to find cradle which seems to be a focal point of your deck.
Elemental Bond - Could replace Garruk packleader. While it isn't a creature to fuel cradle, it is less prone to creature removal. Then again, you say your meta has a lot of artifact enchantment removal, so it depends. Also, it only interacts with 13 creatures. At that point, you might just want to add Greater Good. Nets card advantage, acts as a sac outlet. ADD IT
Dryad Arbor - Fuels cradle and interacts with Green Sun Zenith for X = 0.
Shamanic Revelation - If you aren't taking out pack leader for elemental bond, at least take it out for this. Synergy with your token generation from your commander and avenger.
Beastmaster Ascension - EH, maybe add it. Can make your dudes huge.
You can also take this deck to a more token based strategy which is based on finding cradle and fueling it through tokens. Should you choose to do so, I would add the following...
Wolfbriar Elemental - Wolves!!!
Ant Queen - Steady token generator
Realms Uncharted - Helps you find utility lands. If you choose to add fetchlands in the deck's future, then this choose then as well. Might also want to add a crucible to provide redundancy, but thats for later.
Rude Awakening - Add it, trust me. Super ritual with built in win con
Early Harvest - Weaker version of above
Magus of the Candelabra - To untap utility lands and cheap cradle fuel
Birthing Pod - While i've never completely understood the power of this card, but you'r creature curve looks really good and you might want to consider this as an additional creature tutor to ensure consistency.
Why no vernal bloom?
I honestly didn't even mean to comment this much but your deck seems really interesting. I look forward to reviewing your thought process on these potential additions. Cheers!
August 11, 2018 3:17 a.m.
Kakarot was the inspiration for the name. I was a huge fan of dbz growing up, and I got into online role-playing with some friends so that's the name I came up with and it's stuck. Same name I used for my main in WoW as well, lol. I will get back to you tomorrow with a solid response on suggestions, I need to get some sleep
August 11, 2018 3:34 a.m.
Alright, here goes:
- Cavern of Souls/Yavimaya Hollow - I'm getting them eventually, the foils are expensive, especially the hollow, and I've had other deck projects I've been working on.
- Hall of the Bandit Lord - it's an interesting card, and I may have to test it out.
- Miren, the Moaning Well - I already plan on getting one.
- Petrified Field - not sure on this, I just added in Ramunap Excavator and have a few other recursion tools to get back important lands.
- Tempt with Discovery - I really like this card. And I know it can get me any land. Problem is. My friends know this deck and not a single one of them will take the bait for me to get extra lands, so i think I'd rather go with your suggestion of Crop Rotation instead.
- Elemental Bond - not a fan, only because at least with packleader, it's an off rive threat on top of draw engine. But you're right, he us the weakest of my draw engines and I think Greater Good will work out, really well.
- Dryad Arbor - this card has been in my mind since I first created the deck and I both like it and hate it. I like the fact it's a 0 cost creature and a land. But at the same time. It takes my land play for the turn, and I can't tap it for mana since it has summoning sickness. So I don't know if I'll ever add it or not, but maybe I'll try it soon.
- Shamanic Revelation - I really like this card, and it'll find a home once I figure out what to take out.
- Beastmaster Ascension - great card, but not needed in this deck. I already have several backups for Kamahl in case he gets locked down, and they all add trample on top of buffing my creatures.
- Wolfbriar Elemental/Ant Queen - token production in this deck has always been passive, i.e. landfall, planeswalker, etc; it helps the deck, but it's not a focus and I don't want creatures that require lots of mana to generate tokens.
- Realms Uncharted - really just not a fan of this card, I can see it's potential. But I really just don't like it.
- Rude Awakening/Early Harvest/Magus of the Candelabra - I like being able to untap my lands. But since I'm adding in Staff of Domination, I don't think I'll need it. As I'll have several ways to infinite mana now, but you never know. I'm gonna keep these in mind just in case.
- Birthing Pod - this a great card, but my deck isn't set up to maximize how it works.
- Vernal Bloom - this affects all forests, and I hate group hug cards. Concordant Crossroads is an exception because I only play it when I cast a big genesis wave so I can win that turn.
August 11, 2018 6:15 p.m.
For potential cuts, your deck seems tuned (to your meta anyways). Potential cuts are as follows from most likely to cut to least likely...
Xantid Swarm - Replacing utility for card draw. Couldnt they just play their spell before you attack? Unless it's specifically a counterspell you're worried about, I don't understand his place in the deck. Anti-blue and helps against fiers? If you hate blue, keep it. Otherwise, I think it's better to improve your deck rather than potentially must up 1 of the 5 colors in specific situation.
Runic Armasaur- Replacing continous card draw for bust card draw. Rather than relying upon your opponents for card draw, why not just add a card that you know will give you a bunch of cards now rather than one that might give you incremental advantage (assuming he lives). Test him out I suppose and see how he plays.
Regrowth - Replacing recursion for card draw. Recursion is always nice. Depends on the amount of grave hate in the meta (there is a fair amount in mine).
I agree with most of what you said above, and I did forget about staff. That being said, I still think that rude awakening can do some serious work. I say it's at least worth testing it out
August 11, 2018 7:30 p.m.
Xantid is in there to battle fogs, Cyclonic Rift, and counters. But yeah. They could play it in response to the trigger, just none of my friends have figured that out yet. Lol, but it might be a good choice for crop rotation.
Runic Armasaur is one of those I'm testing and I think I'm gonna cut it. One whole night of playing and I didn't get one card from it.
Regrowth I'm keeping because I'm trying to keep a lot of recursion as my permanents are always major targets for removal, but I'm considering dropping Mimic Vat, I haven't been using it much lately and I think one of your suggestions will work towards my game plan better at this point.
August 11, 2018 8:48 p.m.
Nice deck! Brings me back to my early days of magic where everyone seemed to run mono green decks :D.
I browsed your list and here are some thoughts I had. Maybe there are some that are useful to you:
- Consider running Crop Rotation or Pir's Whim instead of Sylvan Scrying. Those cards have way more applications.
- You run Cultivate and Nissa’s Pilgrimage, but not Kodama's Reach? I guess I would play that over Lotus Cobra in this list as you don’t run that many ways to get more lands into play to make the Cobra shine.
- Also, Green Sun’s Zenith is synonymous with Dryad Arbor. Turning the Zenith into ramp for 1 mana. Easy include imo.
- I counted about 8 cards that draw you cards. I always prefer to run a bit more. You could consider Harmonize, Elemental Bond or Zendikar Resurgent
- With so many forests I expected to see Extraplanar Lens or something, but I could not find a card that would benefit from so many. This means you have a lot of room for improving your deck by including more utility lands. I’m thinking Scavenger Grounds, Strip Mine, Homeward Path, Tranquil Thicket, Blighted Woodland, Mosswort Bridge, Petrified Field etc. These can give you an additional edge if added in the right balance.
Hope there is something there that fits your vision for the deck!
GL & HF,
August 12, 2018 9:25 a.m.
Pir's Whim This is a relatively new card right? I've been searching for land tutors and I never found this, much appreciated! Kamerot, pir's whim could be used instead of tempt with discovery. Same CMC slot, guaranteed land (albeit tapped), and can cause some love or pain along the way
He already runs dryad with green sun
Harmonize - Seems ok but Greater Good or most other green draw would be much preffered rather than just a short burst. But I guess that's up to him. Good tip with the Zendikar Resurgent. I already mentioned elemental bond but he isn't a fan.
August 12, 2018 2:23 p.m.
I really do like Pir's Whim, that's pretty awesome. And I guess I'll give Dryad Arbor a shot. Beebles a lot of what you suggested i had just been discussing with Profet93 and I'll be making quite a few changes. Thanks for the suggestions!
August 12, 2018 2:35 p.m.
Ahh, ok! Sorry, I did not go over the comments. Good luck with making the changes.
@Profet93, yes Pir’s Whim was part of Battlebond that came out this year.