|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Creature — Elemental
When Wispmare enters the battlefield, destroy target enchantment.
Evoke (White) (You may play this spell for its evoke cost. If you do, it's sacrificed when it enters the battlefield.)
1 week ago
Looking at your manabase ...
Based on Frank Karsten's classic article, our target is 19x B, 14x R, and 12x W sources. This will give us a 90% chance of being able to have R or B on Turn 1, BB on Turn 3, and W on turn 3 (postboard). Your current manabase (as I type this): 19 Lands, but with only 15x B, 13x R, and 5x W sources. Here are a few thoughts:
- If you can spend ~$30 more: -2x Mountain, -2x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth , -2x Dragonskull Summit / +4x Concealed Courtyard , +2x Sulfurous Springs . This is still 19 Lands, but will yield 19x B, 13x R, and 9x W sources and should play MUCH more smoothly.
- If you have any more Green Fetches or Shocks available, (especially Overgrown Tomb , which can also tap for Black), you might be better off ignoring the White splash, and just using the old Bridgevine manabase, with some mix of Destructive Revelry / Assassin's Trophy / Nature's Claim for Enchantment hate instead of Wispmare .
- No matter what, I'd recommend dropping the Dragonskull Summit s. Our deck REALLY wants a Turn 1 play, and because they enter tapped on Turn 1 they're quite meh. Basic Swamps would be better, as they would at least raise you to 17x B, 13x R, and 5x W sources.
Good luck (and skill) with the deck!
1 week ago
The manabase challenge is that the deck really wants B or R on Turn 1, BB by Turn 3, and W by Turn 3 (postboard). Based on Frank Karsten's classic article on manabases, this means we need should be running 19x B sources, 14x R sources, and 12x W sources. The current 18-Land configuration is actually a little shy ... it only gives us 18x B sources, 14x R sources, and 11x W sources.
Good places to save some money are with ...
- Blackcleave Cliffs : Cards like Sulfurous Springs (or Mana Confluence and Gemstone Mine , if you already have them) aren't as good (especially in longer games where the lifeloss will add up, and we'll eventually lose the Mine), but at least they won't slow the deck down any.
- Fetchlands: The deck needs 8x Black fetchlands but any of them will work. Polluted Delta , Bloodstained Mire , Marsh Flats , and Verdant Catacombs can all fetch a Blood Crypt or a Godless Shrine just fine, so feel free to mix and match whith whatever is least expensive/whatever you might already have. Of note, the Fetches serve double-duty in the deck, as they are GREAT for recurring Bloodghast.
- Godless Shrine : The deck needs at least 1x (so we can find W with a Fetchland), but now that I take a hard look at it, I think Concealed Courtyard might actually be better here.
Adding Basics will make the early turns much more inconsistent (or cause additional mulligans), and adding checklands (e.g., Dragonskull Summit )/reveal lands (e.g., Foreboding Ruins ) will slow the deck down on early turns (or cause additional mulligans). I'm not honestly sure how bad the effect is going to be, especially once the London Mulligan kicks in ...
Good luck ... budget brewing is REALLY tough, and I wish I could help more!
Having Creature-based Enchantment/Artifact removal is better in this deck than Instant-based because we can sac' the Creature for value with the Evoke trigger on the stack, it counts towards Vengevine 's triggered ability, it gets around Chalice of the Void on 1 (if we were on Nature's Claim ) or 2 (if we were on Assassin's Trophy ), and it provides a 1/3 beater with evasion. The only exception I can think of is vs. Karn, the Great Creator + Mycosynth Lattice , where we sometimes wish we could float mana and kill the Lattice at Instant-speed.
Of note, this plan also gives us "extra" sideboard slots, because we can use Flamekin Harbinger as Wispmare numbers 4-5. Flamekin is especially amazing in the Mirror, since it can grab a Mare if they have Leyline of the Void in their opener and Vengevine if they don't,
1 week ago
I'm not a big fan of Necrotic Wound ... it's just too inconsistent for my tastes (e.g., getting stuck with one in hand vs. Humans when they have RIP in play). I'm leaning towards Lightning Axe but also want to try good ol' Path to Exile .
I look forward to hearing how it goes irl! Good luck (and good skill)!
1 week ago
I've become a fan of 1-2x Flamekin Harbinger recently, as a way to fit additional cards into the sideboard. It can of course find Wispmare or Ingot Chewer as needed if they have hate, but can also find Vengevine if they don't.
1 week ago
I notice you're running Stinkweed Imp in the "flex slots" ... I looked at Imp early on, but haven't really tested it. Do you have a feel yet for the pros/cons vs. other options? Thanks!
We can't Convoke Wispmare (nor Ingot Chewer , which is very similar) for Hogaak , but we can sack them for value (to either Altar or Carrion Feeder ) with the Evoke trigger on the stack, they get around Chalice on 1, and they count towards Vengevine 's triggered ability. I started on Nature's Claim , but have really grown to love the Elementals ...
2 weeks ago
Sulfurous Spring does a good job for games 2/3 when you have to find an untapped land past turn 3. The deck pilot will take 1-3 damage in a game playing this card,but it is not a bad option. I would call the Sulfurous Spring a 90% option.
Thank you for Sideboard suggestion(s).
2 weeks ago
Great comments; thanks so much! Some thoughts ...
- On Necrotic Wound : I found I brought it in often enough, but that it was just too inconsistent for my tastes. E.g., I had one in hand vs. Humans, but they had a RIP on board ... ugh! I've swapped it with Lightning Axe , for now.
- Flamekin Harbinger is MVP in the Mirror. Finds Wispmare when they have a Leyline start, and can grab a Vengevine when they don't.
- I've also been amazed how strong the deck is vs. Surgical Extraction ... I started out totally convinced the deck needed 3-4x Silent Gravestone and now I'm almost positive it doesn't need any :-)
- Neo-Grisel is definitely faster, but it seems MUCH easier to hate out (not necessarily with this deck, but by other decks) so I don't think it's going to be anything but a super-fringe.
- Yeah, Burn is scary. Especially since I will almost certainly have to start with Sulfurous Springs in paper ...
Thanks again, and I'll give your deck a hard look shortly!
No data for this card yet.