Creature — Human Nomad
Echo *(At the beginning of your upkeep, if this came under your control since the beginning of your last upkeep, sacrifice it unless you pay its echo cost.) *
When Avalanche Riders enters the battlefield, destroy target land.
Printings View all
|Time Spiral "Timeshifted" (TSB)||Rare|
|Urza's Legacy (ULG)||Uncommon|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Avalanche Riders occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.0%
Avalanche Riders Discussion
1 month ago
king-saproling- I'm so glad you like the deck! It's one of my favorites to play and I appreciate the suggestions.
Herald of Leshrac is one I've not heard of, and I like it a lot for disrupting opponents and gaining free mana! If your playgroup is cool with you thieving lands, go for it.
Marsh Flitter is a token generator and a free sac outlet. Huh, I'll keep an eye on it for future.
Grinning Ignus only works at sorcery speed and returns itself to our hand, which we don't want. I like where your head is at for mana generation, though.
Carnival of Souls is a fascinating and risky way to squeeze in more flips. It does put restriction on our timing as we have to use the mana when it is created, and is a nonbo with our infinites, as they often involve putting infinite creatures into play, which would drain us at the same rate as our opponents. I think you could try it and it would be a coin flip whether it won or lost you individual games just by itself.
Braid of Fire , Black Market , Imperial Recruiter , Mana Echoes , and Teferi's Puzzle Box are all cards I have considered playing, and would certainly be reasonable inclusions! I have not included them because I don't currently own them and they are expensive.
Mindmoil would not be a good inclusion because we don't want to play spells from our hand if we can at all avoid it. It does allow us to stack the bottom of our library, but it's 5 mana do nothing, and scry to the bottom if we have spare mana after that.
Vessel of Endless Rest seems unimpactful for 3 mana and we have creatures and artifacts that do the same thing repeatably, which is what we're looking for to win.
Junktroller is great for recursion, but unfortunately it taps to activate, making it hard to go infinite. Spending the mana to activate Epitaph Golem or Reito Lantern is honestly just more reliable and abusable than tapping, as we do not run untappers.
K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth is a spicy include, though I have chosen not to do so because he only gets pumped off of casting, and doesn't contribute to a combo. He would be useful for getting black creatures out of our hand, and I assume combos with Blood Celebrant , but we have 1 card that performs that combo by itself: Treasonous Ogre .
Blood Artist I've gone back and forth on. It absolutely is worth an include, but I find that we have enough payoffs once infinite is achieved so I replaced it with redundancy in other places, like token generation
Sifter of Skulls has 4 power, which automatically excludes it from this build. It is important to get Grenzo out early to start building the value engine, so we cast him for X=1.
Here is the primer I took my inspiration from. I highly recommend reading it to get the general philosophy and lines of the deck! https://www.mtgnexus.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=22095
3 months ago
Ciasina, the Sound Mage
Legendary Creature - Vampire Wizard
Flying, lifelink, haste
Eminence - Whenever you pay the echo cost of one of your creatures, if Ciasina, the Sound Mage is in your command zone or on the battlefield, you may pay . If you do, create a token that's a copy of that creature, except it loses Echo and both of those creatures get +1/+1 until end of turn.
2 / 5
3 months ago
i use Manaweft Sliver instead of Gemhide Sliver . only noncreature spells mainboard are Collected Company and Aether Vial . my land destruction deck isn't the typical ponza you see. it goes really heavy on land destruction spells, then beats down with Goblin Dark-Dwellers or Shivan Wumpus . or an Avalanche Riders
4 months ago
My suggestion for this one is that you go all-in on the graveyard synergy, because realistically, the instant and sorcery package is going to be a whole lot less effective than running utility creatures since it just hits the bin with no effect (e.g. Avalanche Riders over Seismic Spike , Balthor the Defiled over Living Death , Magus of the Moon over Blood Moon , you get the idea). If you need help with finding ideas for utility creatures and engine pieces, check out my list, I've worked on it WAYY too much.
5 months ago
Silence is one of the best combo protection spells you can run.
The Exquisite Blood / Cliffhaven Vampire combo seems out of place here. you're better off focusing on overlapping combos rather than having a combo which doesn't really interact with any other pieces. Torgaar, Famine Incarnate is expensive and slow, plus isn't actually a win condition. Avalanche Riders , Stuffy Doll and Silent Arbiter could be replaced for more combo density. Unless you're in a beats heavy meta, Maze of Ith also seems out of place.
Goblin Bombardment is another solid outlet, I'm also surprised there's no Viscera Seer . Painful Truths is generally better than Phyrexian Arena . Wheel of Fortune is another good draw card you're not running.
7 months ago
8 months ago
Lambofan217 I would say these two are interchangable, Fulminator Mage has the nice effect that you can decide when to activate it, but Avalanche Riders has the small upside that it hits basic lands and has haste. I just already had a sweet foil FNM promo Avalanche Riders and decided to put that in the deck :)
multimedia thanks for the suggestions mate! I appreciate it!
- No idea why Command Tower wasn't listed here, I even have it in my paper deck, so added it back here. Thanks for catching that!
- I like to run some amount of basics since I love abusing Solemn Simulacrum . I might indeed cut a plains or swamp, but they will make place for the new Canopy lands from Modern Horizons
- Enlightened Tutor has been going in and out ocassionaly, but I might add it back in. I agree that Ravos, Soultender has been kind of underwhelming in the deck.
- Selfless Spirit used to be in the deck but I was really unimpressed by its performance. Since this deck doesn't need to swarm the board per se, board wipes aren't your main concern, and I always felt like I wanted to recur something more valueable with Alesha's ability. As for Sorin, Vengeful Bloodlord , I'm still testing is, as I do like the lifegain.
- Aurelia, Exemplar of Justice is just a card I think is very sweet, even though it might not be the best pick for the deck
- Palace Jailer is a sweet card, but I have been very impressed with Twilight Prophet , the ability is amazing (even killed a player once by putting Elesh Norn on top with Vamp Tutor). She truly shines when the game has reached a stalled boardstate and players are trying to wast resources to resolve it. You just sit on your Prophet and accumulate value. Sure the City's Blessing can be a minor downside, but rarely hard to achieve in EDH
- I'm actually content with the amount of Aristocrats in the deck, I might replace her with Zulaport Cutthroat though
I was actually also thinking off Aurelia, the Warleader . Most importantly because I think the card is awesome, but it could help closing games in the late-game. What do you think?