Abbot of Keral Keep
Creature — Human Monk
Prowess (Whenever you cast a noncreature spell, this creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.)
When Abbot of Keral Keep enters the battlefield, exile the top card of your library. Until end of turn, you may play that card.
|Have (2)||CompleteWaste , metalmagic|
Printings View all
|Magic Origins (ORI)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Abbot of Keral Keep occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Abbot of Keral Keep Discussion
1 month ago
Hello again! Came across another card that made me think of your project: Whirlwind of Thought
- It gives you a repeatable source of card draw. I noticed the deck was very light in the card draw department, with mostly card filtering rather than true card draw (e.g. Frantic Search, Opt), or "impulsive draw" as it's been termed (e.g. Abbot of Keral Keep).
- It ties into the prowess / noncreature spell theme.
- It depicts airbending.
- A female airbender isn't a part of ATLA. You'd have to interpret it as Aang somewhere off-camera using airbending ON someone.... for SOME random reason....
- Function-wise, it isn't actually as strong or efficient as Jeskai Ascendancy (sadly, that card's art has zero flavor tie-in). Ascendancy effectively doubles your prowess buffs, and while not true card draw, the repeatable loot effect is good. And the untap clause is nothing to sneeze at -- aside from the pseudo-vigilance it gives, imagine the edge case of multiple noncreature spells you can cast and a Beguiler of Wills on board..... Man, if they someday reprint Ascendancy with better art, it's an auto-include in my book! Maybe you could get an altered-art version?? :)
Hope this comment finds you well. Cheers!
2 months ago
gato91, I'll use the full playset of Crash Through. Good call for replacing Soul-Guide Lantern for Tormod's Crypt. I wanted the card draw, but I forgot artifacts can buff prowess. Makes me think about Bone Saw, but that's a more aggressive play. I'll think about Bedlam Reveler, but if I wanted to add it, I'd probably have to take out Chandra, Torch of Defiance. And doing that just augments the trample win condition rather than adding an alternate win condition emblem with some solid loyalty abilities. I'm aware it does slow down the deck for that to happen. I'll try my current list for my next Pioneer matches, and if it's too slow, I know your suggestion will help speed things up.
I never thought of Burning Prophet, but adding two of her in can't be that bad. Not just yet though. If I eventually do, I should take away 4x Abbot of Keral Keep or Heartfire Immolator, add three of her and add an extra Lightning Strike or Light Up the Stage. Does that sound about right? I'll have to play a bit to determine to go full draw or if Heartfire Immolator's sacrifice ability is too good to give up.
Also tempted to put in 3x Spikefield Hazard Flip as a replacement for Sunscorched Desert. Great for 'cycling' my lands for yet another prowess trigger after I have a decent mana base, and it solves my excess colorless mana problem.
3 months ago
Damnit haha I have a set of Abbot of Keral Keep I was hoping you could enjoy.
6 months ago
7 months ago
I'm not sure I understand the inclusion of Mastermind's Acquisition and Possibility Storm in an otherwise low-to-the-ground taxes deck, but I do like the idea. If I'm not missing a kind of game-ending combo there, I would suggest going up on Thalia, Heretic Cathars (to maybe 3?).
Some other humans you might like:
Abbot of Keral Keep - card advantage!
Alesha, Who Smiles at Death - recur your Freebooters, Thraben Inspectors, Lieutenants... could be a lot of good value, and goes well with General's Enforcer!
Dauntless Bodyguard - it's aggressive and protects key cards like Lieutenant and Kudro.
Knight of the White Orchid
Kytheon, Hero of Akros Flip
Gideon of the Trials - particularly good against Inverter combo Mardu Skullhunter
Order of Midnight
Tithe Taker - classic Taxes-type human!
Tomik, Distinguished Advokist - aggressive and very good against Lotus combo .
Some sideboard possibilties:
Dire Fleet Daredevil
Kambal, Consul of Allocation
Robber of the Rich
Tocatli Honor Guard - obviously you'd have to side out the Freebooters, but this is very good against Inverter
After doing all this research I'm also inspired, so I might make my own list. :)
1 year ago
- Abbot of Keral Keep + Soul-Scar Mage add Ghitu Lavarunner and Wizard's Lightning I might be a bit biased but I have had a lot of success with the wizard package. I would take out Chandra, Fire Artisan as well, but that is mostly because I don't think RDW really has the space nor need for planeswalkers.
1 year ago
I would suggest finding a way to add Soul-Scar Mage as well.
1 year ago
Goblin heavy has tribal lords, tokens etc.
Artifacts-matter has Shrapnel Blast