|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Creature — Vampire Soldier
As long as Adanto Vanguard is attacking, it gets +2/+0.
Pay 4 life: Adanto Vanguard gains indestructible until end of turn. (Damage and effects that say "destroy" don't destroy it.)
Adanto Vanguard Discussion
1 month ago
2 months ago
Here are some tips:
1) Try to keep deck size down to 60
2) Similar to #1, increase the number of four-ofs to increase consistency between games. (Generally, singles are for decks with tutors/heavy card draw. Your deck has neither so it relies the most on your starting hand). I'd consider cards like Cruel Celebrant , Blood Artist , Cordial Vampire
3) Cards like Call to the Feast shouldn't be 4-ofs because of the mana cost. 4-ofs should be cards that are great both early game and late game, and are part of your core strategy. Remember that high CMC cost cards don't need as many copies. For example, a 5 mana card can only be cast as early as turn 5 (fair decks). Therefore by then you'd have gone through 7+5 (Starting hand+5 draws) cards in your deck to have found it.
6) Increase the number of Champion of Dusk . This is because card draw in black/white is very rare and as a 5-mana cost creature, very good to your mana curve. By the time you amass 5 mana you can cast it, hopefully with quite a few vampires on the field. I'd use 3 of them.
6) Drop Ashes of the Abhorrent , it's not good enough. Enchantments/Artifacts here should buff up your creatures or generate creature tokens. (Creature-focused deck)
7) Remove Cliffhaven Vampire . This is because it's a "win-more" card. Here, it requires you to have a certain board state (aka ability to gain life) for it to be useful. As a general rule, higher mana cost investments should be able to turn around a bad situation (board wipe/etc) or require no boardstate when you cast it (aka "good on its own")
8) Remove Kambal, Consul of Allocation . This is because you don't want your strategy to be dependent on your opponent's (unless this is in your sideboard). What if the opponent is playing a creature deck? It'd be pretty useless.
9) Sanguine Bond 's effect is a little redundant here, we already have enough of this effect on the board
10) I'd consider removing Orzhov Basilica because most of the time you're going to need mana on turn two. I'd hate for your lands to be tapped when they come into play.
2 months ago
Well Colinmjoyce, first off naturally, I've been meaning to replace the Guildgates with the lifegain lands, as those are a straight upgrade, although they are less thematically pleasing. (Let me run and do that real quick. updates deck)
Honestly I am more interested in rotation than M20.
I have been looking through the M20 cards, but, while there are some great new tools, especially for the sideboard, I have not noticed anything pressingly good enough to switch in immediately, the deck is still nicely optimized as is. I have mostly decided to wait until rotation does happen, and then reexamine the deck as a whole. If we do not get Hero's Downfall or something similar in the next set, I don't know if the deck will be viable. It is already jank, but a very effective and finely tuned jank. There are so many planeswalkers right now that losing an instant-speed card that can either answer them or a creature may be too much to recover from. Detection Tower will perhaps be sorely missed as well, but what virtually the entirety of Mono-Blue Tempo rotating, as well as Carnage Tyrant ... it may not be needed. Duress being reprinted was very good. Memorial to War won't really be needed with Search for Azcanta Flip and Legion's Landing Flip rotating out. Dragonskull Summit will be missed, the new scry lands are slower and may make it harder to survive against mono-colored aggro. I have yet to see Lightning Strike reprinted, but that can easily be replaced with some cool new card, or even another Shock , really. The Immortal Sun , although not used often, was always real nice when it resolved and stayed, pretty much locking down the game, so it will be a shame to see it go. Perhaps there will be something suitable in the next set to replace it. Or we can just add Toll of the Invasion , more Angrath's Rampage s, or whatever. Even throwing in a Murder wouldn't hurt. For the moment, I'm good. The deck is still in a good place, and when rotation happens, most of the deck will stay in, from Lava Coil to Drill Bit to Theater of Horrors to Ritual of Soot . (And, especially with Adanto Vanguard rotating out, Moment of Craving can just be replaced with Sorin's Thirst , so even the sideboard is only losing two cards, Fountain of Renewal and The Immortal Sun . Although if Red Aggro goes more midrange after rotation, then I might not replace it with Sorin's Thirst , but rather with some sort of anti-Red card.)
Some good things will come with rotation as well, like Cleansing Nova rotating. Doesn't matter too much, what with Despark and Mortify still being a thing, but at least we will no longer lose Captive Audience , Theater of Horrors , Ill-Gotten Inheritance , and The Immortal Sun all in one go. (Nor will we have an Immortal Sun to lose, either.)
So yeah. M20 didn't really do much for us.
Rotation is likely to help more than hurt, but the exile and lifegain from Vraska's Contempt will be dearly missed.
3 months ago
Ok, so I cracked vampires code on arena. You need Adanto Vanguard , Benalish Marshal , Sorin, Imperious Bloodlord , Skymarcher Aspirant , Vampire of the Dire Moon , and maybe Knight of the Ebon Legion , Godless Shrine
3 months ago
I would definitely add 4x Knight of the Ebon Legion and 4x Adanto Vanguard . Those are two of the best cards vampires have to offer right now. I'd probably cut Epicure of Blood and Skymarch Bloodletter right away. Other suggestions would be to add another Sorin for the full set and a few more Champion of Dusks and a little less Sanctum Seekers. I'm running WB Vampires a lot on arena right now and that's worked for me.
3 months ago
Hey there. I got to say, I really like your take on this tribe in standard. I tried to make it work back in the day when Rivals came out, was rather casual fun but still fun. ;) (Before that I used the vampire tribe shell with Crested Sunmare shenanigans. Great times.)
There are only a few things I'd like to point out I might do differently here. Probably things you already considered but nontheless here you go.
I very much like the idea of somehow draining the opponent out with Cruel Celebrant but adding it as a four-of seems kinda odd in a aggro deck to me. In this slot I personally would prefere the good ol' Adanto Vanguard . Yeah, I'm aware of the hate she is facing, but still. In a aggro build absolutely mandatory. ;)
Second thing I noticed is that I might play a mix of Icon of Ancestry and Radiant Destiny . Because former seems more like a lategame card and you surely don't want to end up there with an aggro build. HEHE. Maybe I'm just wrong here but maybe even Unbreakable Formation would be an option for this spot. (Or even Pride of Conquerors ?)
Besides that I might cut one plains for an additional Isolated Chapel .
I hope this was of some help to you. I'm seriously considering to go back to full scale vamps for this season. If only the playset of the new Sorin, Imperious Bloodlord wasn't like at least 50 bucks.
Have a good one.
3 months ago
I see the ramp now. The cluestones and outpost don't fit well in my opinion I'd replace them with something like
or remove them completely. I understand
I'd consider adding Path to Exile , something like Soul Snare (idk the good cards), Oblivion Ring , Darkness or Deafening Clarion instead of Rakdos Cluestone , Veinfire Borderpost , Gatekeeper of Malakir (hard to cast with 3 black) or Syphon Mind .
Good ones to add from your maybeboard could be Blood Artist , Adanto Vanguard instead of e.g. Falkenrath Marauders , Gatekeeper of Malakir .
I'd also replace the ETB tapped lands Urborg Volcano , etc. with basic lands, the tapped lands are slow.
4 months ago
Falkenrath Noble is actually worse because it hits only one player per trigger and relies too much on your opponents to play many creatures. Stat-wise it might be better because of added evasion in form of flying but I'd actually stick to the ground with Vindictive Vampire dealing 3-4 damage and healing me for 1.
Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet is good but not here - it's place is in some more midrange decks rather than full on aggro. On the other hand Vampire Nocturnus has POTENTIAL to be amazing but... in 3-color deck it has too much % chance to whiff. I've actually counted and there are 41 black cards and it might not be enough to make it worth inclusion.
If I'd make it more similar to my Aggro/Aristocrats deck I'd swap:
- Sorin, Solemn Visitor --> Vindictive Vampire - I see planeswalkers as sorcery spells because there's a very high chance that they'll be killed during the whole turn cycle. So this Sorin is for +1/+0 and lifelink OR 2/2 token... Is it worth 4 CMC? Unfortunately, I don't think so.
- Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet --> Quag Vampires - low CMC aggro vampire that has potential to be unblockable with Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and come with a few +1/+1 counters later in the game.
- Adanto Vanguard --> Bloodthrone Vampire - white vampire for black one and I personally don't see this Vanguard as powerful, while with all those ping abilites on board we can easily machine gun opponents to death (or close enough to be taken down by buffed up vampire lady).
Other than that I'm recently questioning the value of Stromkirk Noble since it's not card... What do you think about it?
Adanto Vanguard occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.25%