Target player reveals his or her hand. You choose a nonland card from it. That player discards that card.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
6 hours ago
I've seen a bunch of lists like this- budget rock variants are completely legit. I'll reccomend Burning Inquiry over Distress, or run Despise, Duress or Blackmail. Raven's Crime can provide some longevity to the gameplan. You seem to have enough damage mainboard, but I'd consider some Stingscourger action or something to deal with aggressive creatures and an aggressive sideboard, but all told it looks ok.
1 week ago
Well for one, in modern you want as few lands that have to enter the battlefield tapped as possible. Therefore I'd add two more Concealed Courtyard, at least a couple Isolated Chapel, and maybe a Ghost Quarter or two instead of the tapped lands you currently have in there. Also, Transgress the Mind isn't that great in modern as opposed to standard, where it's pretty damn good. Discard options include Inquisition of Kozilek, and Thoughtseize on the more expensive end of things, but there are cheap hand disruption cards like Duress, Blackmail, Distress, and Castigate.
Seeing as you're trying to gain life, the one exception to the lands entering tapped would be Shambling Vent but only play one or two of them. As far as modern playable planeswalkers go, you can't go wrong with one or two Gideon Jura.
2 weeks ago
Sorry for a double post but I have a few more suggestions.
You're running too many swamps, cut about two or three so you can add either more Funeral Charms or other removal spells like Smother or Doom Blade. I recommend going to about 21 lands since your curve is super low and adding a fourth Raven's Crime so you can do something with excess land. Since you aren't running any creatures, you want a lot of removal to keep the board clear.
2 weeks ago
I have to agree with nastalgia here, this deck needs action or it will just get run over in the current metagame. If you want to make this deck truly competitive, you'll need to make some changes.
Having tried to brew a Blue-black Zombies build myself, I can tell you that the blue splash really isn't worth it unless you are running Prized Amalgam and cards like Thought Scour for card draw and access to more resources. The only other reason I'd see a reason for splashing blue is to run something like Echoing Truth to remove an Ensnaring Bridge or something of the like. I personally think that a mono-black Zombie build would be far more successful and consistent, but that's up to you.
Every black decks needs some form of discard to survive in the current modern meta, the best options for this are Thoughtseize and Inquisition of Kozilek, although there are budget versions like Wrench Mind and Distress which may work in certain metas, but they are not the same and should be treated like they are on the same power level.
While Grimgrin, Corpse-Born, Cemetery Recruitment,Skirsdag High Priest, and Dark Salvation are cute cards that have some synergy with the cards you play, they are all too slow, as Modern's turn 4 kill rate is exceptional, and you will be dead long before these cards will have any effect on the game.
Black has an incredible amount of outstanding removal options, and Bone Splinters is not one of them, and the reasoning is simple. Over half the decks in format, (from Infect to Titanshift) can kill you on their turn, whether it's by an Inkmoth Nexus or Primeval Titan and sorcery speed removal can't target them. Some of the best options for this are Go for the Throat, Victim of Night, and Fatal Push, as these cards can kill the majority of creatures and manlands that are floating around the modern format.
Black has some outstanding Zombie cards that you could be playing, cards like Geralf's Messenger, Cemetery Reaper, Death Baron, Lord of the Undead, Lifebane Zombie, Cryptbreaker and Phyrexian Crusader.
I'd try to make room for Collective Brutality, this card is outstanding against many of the decks that mono-black is not good against, such as burn.
3 weeks ago
I play UG Infect, so please take my comments with healthy skepticism. But here are some thoughts on budget options ...
- With the reprint of Verdant Catacombs in MM17, it should come way down in price ... maybe as low as $30. We'll see in a couple months, once a bunch of boxes have been opened. Watch out though, because the prices will rise again as more people get into Modern. If you budget allows, I recommend buying them in the next 2-6 months.
- In the meantime, I'd probably add another Overgrown Tomb (fetchable as a Forest), a couple cheap Forest-fetchers (I think Windswept Heath is the cheapest), and maybe another Blooming Marsh.
- Noble Hierarchs are awesome, and well worth saving up for too. They're not being reprinted in this set though, so you can take your time. In the meantime, a 2-2 split of Birds of Paradise and Cathedral of War is a pretty decent budget option.
- There's really no budget replacement for Bitterblossom in your sideboard, except for maybe a Heavily Played or Damaged one :-) So if you don't have some already, I'd probably look in a completely different direction. I've no idea what be be best for your meta of course, but Fatal Push, Kitchen Finks, Dryad Arbor, Pithing Needle, Grafdigger's Cage, Relic of Progenitus, and Wild Defiance are all solid sideboard options.
- Nature's Claim is great of course, but I like having a 2- or 3-drop as well, to kill Chalice of the Void when X=1. Unravel the Aether, Seal of Primordium, and Viridian Corrupter are all good.
- Inquisition of Kozilek and Thoughtseize are awesome, and IMO the best reason to run BG. But you could always use some Transgress the Mind or Distress while saving up.
Good luck (and good skill) with the build!
3 weeks ago
Sweet, thank you for your inputs saturn. Took Raven's Crime instead of Distress and 3 Hero's Downfall for SB. Victim of Night and Doom Blade are nice, but I thought when I go for destroy on SB, why not enabling myself to kill plainswalkers.
3 weeks ago
3x Victim of Night or Doom Blade in the side might finish it off! Also, I had Distress in my deck Church of The Operating Room but I found after a few suggestions and playing that Raven's Crime worked far better especially with getting rid of lands I didn't need! Good luck! +1
3 weeks ago
Wrench Mind and Distress are both already in there ;) Mind Shatter was in until last revision, there I decided to go with Damnable Pact because I got already 16 discard spells but no drawing mechanics. With an 1.4 CMC deck it's troubleing to keep my hand staffed. Even if my hand stays full I now can make the opponent draw and loose life, which is nice imho.