|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Magic Origins (ORI)||Uncommon|
|Magic 2013 (M13)||Uncommon|
|Tenth Edition (10E)||Rare|
|Eighth Edition (8ED)||Rare|
|Seventh Edition (7ED)||Rare|
|Classic Sixth Edition (6ED)||Rare|
|Fifth Edition (5ED)||Rare|
|Fourth Edition (4ED)||Rare|
|4th Edition Foreign Black Border (4EDFBB)||Rare|
|Revised Edition (3ED)||Rare|
|Revised Foreign Black Border (3EDFBB)||Rare|
|Unlimited Edition (2ED)||Rare|
|Collector's Edition (CED)||Rare|
|International Collector's Edition (CEI)||Rare|
|Limited Edition Beta (LEB)||Rare|
|Limited Edition Alpha (LEA)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
, : Draw a card.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (10)||ironax , ninjasupahsquid , Yawkcorb , XxCataclysmiCxX , webdokkeren , xpsychovampx , Fineontheoutside , frederiklw , mziter501 , bakeraj4|
|Want (2)||mini_tb , mtgfortheboyz|
Jayemdae Tome Discussion
1 month ago
@ForTheOldFrame: Thanks for your upvote and your detailed comment and sorry for posting so late. I was busy the last days and didn't find the time to reply.
I will try to answer to all your suggestion but I myself aren't an expert in EDH too. So maybe I am wrong with some choices and many cards depend on teh playgroup you are playing:
- Mentor of the Meek: Is already on my maybe list and goes in the deck as soon as I can get it.
- Concerted Effort: Is already on my maybe list and goes in the deck as soon as I can get it. But I will probably not build the deck around it. So Lost Auramancers, Plea for Guidance and Windbrisk Heights are out. Especially Windbrisk Heights as my rebels normally only attack once with three creatures or more.
- Land drops are an issue so Journeyer's Kite and Thawing Glaciers are great choice and I will try them out.
- Temple of the False God: I tend to have it on my starting hand nearly every time I play it in a deck. So I am not a big fan of this card. But with Journeyer's Kite and Thawing Glaciers it is maybe worth a try.
- Sword of the Animist: Mostly I need my rebels to control the table and don't have a chance to attack the first rounds.
- Rebels mitigate the lack of good carddraw in white by tutoring for your creatures. Normally I tend to keep 4-6 cards in my hand and use my mana to tutor for rebels or recast Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero so I don't need Jayemdae Tome, Armistice or Slate of Ancestry. Especially the later I think is not a good option with rebels. If you have enough rebels on the field you normally search for Mirror Entity and attack with your army.
- Light of Day synergices very well with Scuttlemutt and Distorting Lens so I will try it out.
- Cataclysm: Great suggestion and I will try to get one ;-)
- Fated Retribution is not the only instant wrath in white. There is also Rout. And I think if I add Cataclysm I am fine with wrath effects.
- Catastrophe and Armageddon are good option, but as I mostly play casual I leave them out.
- Cessation is better than Pacifism but at the moment Pacifism is only a placeholder and will get out of the deck. Presumable for an other suggestion form you.
- My playgroup mostly plays with older cards and so we decided to ban all planeswalkers. So Elspeth Tirel and Gideon of the Trials are out for me.
- Angel's Trumpet is a good card but not in my build, I think it is possibly in rebels but you have to build the deck differently.
- The runes cycle: Great suggestion. As rebels have already good answers against red and black I will try to find room for the three other runes.
- Icatian Store: I don't like the old storage land and I think that Fountain of Cho is strictly better. But normally I need my mana every turn and not a lot of mana in one turn. The only exception is Mirror Entity so I think I don't need it. But maybe I will try it out some day.
- Kongming, "Sleeping Dragon": For mone white Benalish Marshal is better and I will get one for this deck.
- Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite is great but to expensive (money) for me.
- Pariah and Pariah's Shield: I think you are right and the runes are better suited for the deck.
So thanks again for your comment and now I have the problem to find cards to take out for your suggestions ;-)
1 month ago
Upvoted and saving for future reference; I'm debating building something similar myself at some point. Rebels strike me as an archetype that's strong to the point of being dishonorable -- even today when a 4/4 for 4 is a little expensive.
If it weren't for Lin-Sivvi, I'd suggest going WB for black's excellent card draw, and access to Deathtouch and a few black rebels; but I think Lin-Sivvi is stronger than the entire color black, in this deck.
Understand that I know very little about EDH -- I've only played a few games, and never won any -- but I've been reading up and gathering advice; hopefully what follows will be worth it.
Thoughts, from how I understand EDH so far:
- Rebels are playing a long game by definition; use land fixing to match. Journeyer's Kite and Thawing Glaciers can thin out the deck as well as Green can. Land Tax might also be worth it, but definitely keep your Tithe.
- Run Concerted Effort (tutor it out with Lost Auramancers, Plea for Guidance, or Windbrisk Heights), and tutor out Rebels with abilities you want to share. It looks like you're running most of them already -- I'm especially happy to see Thermal Glider and Rappelling Scouts.
- Mana ramp? I've heard it says that whoever gets the most mana tends to win an EDH game, and I can particularly believe it for this deck. Temple of the False God is reliable, especially with the tutoring solutions I mentioned. Sword of the Animist would also work.
- Card draw: use Mentor of the Meek, Slate of Ancestry, maybe Jayemdae Tome and Armistice.
- Light of Day if your play group will tolerate it.
Breaking off here, since there's only so many cards you can propose in one comment. Will resume in a moment.
1 month ago
I cannot choose a single card as my favorite from this set, but I am very fond of Resplendent Angel, as angels are my favorite creatures in this game, and this is one of the few cards in the that promotes angel tribal as a strategy, with another recent example being Lyra Dawnbringer.
I also very much like Arcane Encyclopedia, as it is a strictly better version of Jayemdae Tome. It is a very subtle card that will not draw much attention or have an immediate impact upon the game, but can be immensely beneficial over many turns.
1 month ago
I am not surprised, but still displeased, that the worst cycle of dual lands (or at least one of the worst cycles) is being reprinted in this set, but at least all ten are being reprinted, as it has been some time since a full cycle of ten dual lands was printed in a single set.
Also, Pelakka Wurm was perfectly fine as an uncommon, so promoting it to a rare is wasting a rare card slot in this set, in my mind.
After two negative observations, I have a positive one: WotC finally printed a strictly better version of Jayemdae Tome in the form of arcane encyclopedia! Currently, I do not need such a card for any of my decks, but it will be very welcome if I do need it. Now, would it be too much to hope for a one-time version of Planar Portal or Ring of Three Wishes?
6 months ago
As I read you put this is your first EDH deck so do you know that Arcum is one of the competitive EDH decks.
A lot of people run Zero Drop artifact creatures like Phyrexian Walker and the like.
Then make infinite Mana at this point and with the flute on the field you can just pull out any creature in your deck.
But most people just go get Walking Ballista.
Then play it for an insane amount of Mana and after it hits the field remove 1/1 counters to deal damage directly to their opponents.
9 months ago
Well I'm a Feldon of the Third Path guy myself but lemme tell ya: you NEED Trading Post! It's just SO helpful! Also, in a pinch, Jayemdae Tome and, my fav, Daretti, Scrap Savant. Also, how about a new name? 'Guess Who's Back! Back Again!' has a nice ring to it.
9 months ago
As your deck list is pretty big so I thought I would give you some ideas for cards to cut.
Akroma, Angel of Fury: good, but does not have a big enough effect for commander
Anger: you're only running 2 mountains
Duergar Hedge-Mage good card but again, you are only running 4 mountains and 6 plains
Fallen Angel: you don't really have a use for a sac engine.
Jayemdae Tome: Just not great
Wrecking Ball no need for land destruction and there is better creature removal
Ghostly Prison:fine cared but has no real reason to be in this deck
Vow of Duty: just run a removal spell
Earthquake, Evincar's Justice, Pyrohemia, Sulfurous Blast: The mardu colors are the king of board wipes, run something better. ie. Damnation, Toxic Deluge, Wrath of God, Chain Reaction, Phyrexian Rebirth, and Decree of Pain to name a few
Congregate: don't need the life gain. Unless of course you play lots of token decks
Liliana of the Dark Realms: you have 3 swamps
you have a good amount of good creature but because your commander relies on your hand here are some more card draw ideas:Ambition's Cost, Ancient Craving, Bloodgift Demon, Damnable Pact, Dragon Mage, Erebos, God of the Dead, Harvester of Souls, Necrologia, Night's Whisper, Ob Nixilis Reignited, Painful Truths, Sign in Blood, Skeletal Scrying, Underworld Connections, Wretched Confluence, and Read the Bones.
More additional combat phase spell would also greatly benefit you. World at War, Aurelia, the Warleader, Fury of the Horde, Hellkite Charger, Relentless Assault, Savage Beating, Scourge of the Throne, Seize the Day, Waves of Aggression
in case you haven't already you may want to check out https://edhrec.com/commanders/kaalia-of-the-vast for more card ideas.
Looks like a great start, hope my comments were helpful
9 months ago
I mean, your custom categories make the decklist extremely difficult to follow... You have a category listed angels, and then there are angel creatures outside of the 'angel' category. As for your 'tempo' cards:
Avarice Amulet is a lackluster equipment that gives negligible p/t buff, limited draw potential, and not worth spending a 6 total mana to cast and equip.
Conqueror's Galleon Flip is a horrible creature, 2/10 is nothing but worthless. Needing to be crewed is just insult to injury. The flip side land is not worth it (6 mana Regrowth + Jayemdae Tome is bad).
Humble Defector would be fine, except that it is weak and gives your opponent card advantage.
Inheritance's ability is overcosted. You do not have enough ramp in the deck to have 3 mana left over to also utilize that enchantment effectively.
Magus of the Wheel is risky, like all a-symmetrical cards. You're opponent might end up better than you and you have no way to mitigate any bonuses that your opponent(s) would receive.
Well of Lost Dreams (forgot that brion had lifelink*), Sol Ring, and Skullclamp are all good cards that enhance the deck. The other 5 cards listed do not (as stated above).
Cards that you need to at least 'consider' adding:
better removal, i.e. keep Angel of Serenity (do not remove it ever), but find room for Wear / Tear, Path to Exile, Swords to Plowshares, Wrath of God, and/or maybe Austere Command.
Lightning Greaves, Sword of Feast and Famine/Sword of Light and Shadow, and or Loxodon Warhammer to make your artifact/equipment tutors viable once Sunforger is already in play/hand.
As mentioned previously you have minimal ramp, and this is a serious problem. Sol Ring, Boros Signet, Pearl Medallion, and Land Tax should all be considered. If you are interested in more explosive plays, Neheb, the Eternal, Seething Song, Pyretic Ritual, and Vessel of Volatility (and such forms of fast mana) would be worthy of consideration.
So: I wonder if I am trolling you or just giving advice that you do not wish to hear?