Creature — Cat
Landfall Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, Steppe Lynx gets +2/+2 until end of turn.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Steppe Lynx Discussion
2 weeks ago
abbatromebone Intersting insights. What would you recommend instead of Steppe Lynx and Knight of the White Orchid? Any recommendations for sideboard replacements or will I need to just play with the deck before I go there?
2 weeks ago
- I dont think there are any bounce lands legal in modern but you want affects like this in you deck Murasa Rootgrazer. Im aware you dont want green and want it mono white so i would recommend cycles of these cards Wildfield Borderpost there's one for every 2 color combo, and could help if you want to splash a color or want something for your sideboard.
- Another tech you could consider is Dryad Arbor its a land and a creature so you could make a loop that bounces it back to you hand and play it. It would also go off of Emeria, The Sky Ruin pretty well. They are like 3$ a copy so not very cheap.
- you might not need Leyline of Sanctity unless your playing against a burn like deck or maybe some discard deck.
- There is an issue with Knight of the White Orchid and running 25 lands. Odds are by turn 3 youll probably have 3 lands in hand but its no guarantee that your opponent will. So it will most likely just be a 2/2 with first strike which isnt bad, but isnt great.
- I dont think you need Steppe Lynx Its an 0/1 on everyone elses turn, and you dont need to be the agressor you have the late game with you other creatures. If you need to stall i recommend wall of omens.
- Eternity Vessel is a cool card but its draining your budget and lets assume you have 6 mana what would you rather cast Eternity Vessel or Admonition Angel?
- Fabled Passage is expensive budget wise, so it might be worth considering to see if we can get a better synergy out that money. Being we cant get it consistently. The deck doesnt have enough card draw, tutoring, or filtering to get it. You might get more out of cards like Wildfield Borderpost
- This might seem like a meme but its pretty solid Mana Tithe. No one sees it coming, and can be back breaking.
- White has good hate cards like Stony Silence and Rest in Peace however what graveyard and artifacts are killing us? also RIP is a anti-synergy with Emeria, The Sky Ruin. These cards can strain your budget and arent always as helpful as you think.
- Anyways cool deck idea havent seen mono white landfall and hope this helps. Ping me anytime you need help with a deck
1 month ago
Hi, can I check how competitive you'd like to be? Casual tables, FNMs, Tournaments?
I've got a few landfall ideas on the back burner that you might be able to make work with this. White black will rely more heavily on supporting cards than other landfall lists as 'lands matter' hasn't been printed on many cards in those colours. Overall, I'd look at being a lot lower on the curve, playing 1/2/3 drops that affect the boad - bodies, killing creatures or similar.
Try to focus budget on lands. Especially with landfall. Evolving wilds/Terramorphic Expanse/Warped Landscape for pure budget, the more expensive fetches when you can. Shocks can let you cheat on the exact colours of the fetches. Lands are the most important part of (almost) any deck, and with landfall that is emphasised somewhat.
Steppe Lynx. Most of the other options are in other colours, but decks it is in basically just 'play 1 drops, attack, crack fetches, maybe burn'.
Knight of the White Orchid is a great body with ramp, while Loyal Warhound a solid extra 4 copies. If you can turn them on, they make 'being on the draw' games a lot better - something not a lot of cards can say. Solemn Simulacrum is good. Especially if you get it back from the graveyard.
Felidar Retreat/Retreat to emeria are incredible value engines if you can turn them on. The rest of the deck would be setting up for that and making use of it.
Unearth + graveyard matters stuff, self mill and bloodghast shenanigans.
Black has land destruction, which is almost like ramp - a deck that gets itself lots of basic lands and casts Smallpox will work.
3 months ago
Seems like a lot of lands for a deck only packing hyperaggressive 1-2 cmc threats. I'd probably cut 2-4.
3 months ago
I found having too many cats wasn't very useful, I went a bit extreme, down to 14 cats, but 28 is a lot. Arahbo, Roar of the World only Eminence triggers one cat, and unless you're in a state with a ton of mana to activate the ability for multiple cats, not really needed.
How I solved this problem, was more creature tutor cards (instead of more cats), so Sylvan Tutor , Time of Need , I got a Survival of the Fittest for xmas one year which was cool. Chord of Calling , Eldritch Evolution even Congregation at Dawn are all viable to. The right cat at the right time vs. drawing more cats. Initiate's Companion , Leonin Skyhunter , Steppe Lynx feel like some easy cuts.
Are you primarily trying to kill everyone with combat damage? Beastmaster Ascension maybe?
Fumigate seems wrong.
Might reduce in lands, do you find yourself flooded, eliminate anything that comes into play tapped with no strong ability. Your not running toward a Tooth and Nail or anything so likely can miss a T4-6 land drop and still be in good shape, can also Land Tax or Archaeomancer's Map or Kodama's Reach to get more lands in hand. Evolving Wilds , Krosan Verge , Path of Ancestry could be some easy. If you're worried about mana fixing, fetch lands are great Windswept Heath but also the off-color ones like Wooded Foothills , Flooded Strand , etc.
Teferi's Protection to dodge board wipes?
I might add an alt win-con, Triumph of the Hordes might be one, but having a backup plan, maybe Grafted Exoskeleton or perhaps Ajani, Adversary of Tyrants to bring back Lost Leonin . Bala Ged Recovery Flip for Triumph of the Hordes , I dunno something?
Hope you find something useful here. +1
3 months ago
If you're playing fetches, Landfall Zoo is strictly better than general green stompy. The price difference is in the lands.
Wild Nacatl starts you off as a 1 mana 3/3, then add Steppe Lynx and Akoum Hellhound for some insane beaters. Narnam Renegade gives you a fourth great one drop, and Brushfire Elemental and Plated Geopede put in plenty of work. Add Burning-Tree Emissary and Hidden Herbalists for some better 2 drops. Myr Superion takes advantage of the mana off Emissary and Herbalists.
It's a bit cheaper than this solution as Arid Mesa and Windswept Heath are a lot cheaper than other fetches. Also, you get Path to Exile and Prismatic Ending for removal, as well as other fun tools like Lightning Helix , Lightning Bolt , Light Up the Stage , Ancient Grudge , Smash to Smithereens , etc.
Of course, it's an entirely different deck, so it's completely up to you -- I might have some other stuff in my back pocket.
5 months ago
General Notes: I see a whole lotta fatties and some ramp but not too much interaction. I'd definitely cut some of those high cmc cards and replace them with more low to the ground creatures. Also, imo splashing white would be a lot more useful than splashing black because you can use Steppe Lynx and maybe Path to Exile along with white's sexy sideboard suite, and Ol' Obby is not worth the splash. I haven't tested Nissa of Shadowed Boughs , but if she turns out to be op as fuck, then I would suggest adding some black removal at least like Push and Trophy .
In modern, ramp like Cultivate and Kodama's Reach are gonna be way too slow. I'd definitely cut them. If you want ramp of this kind, then maybe Search for Tomorrow . Also I don't really see why Crackle with Power is there, although I guess you could cast it for a decent amount with the ramp and Lotus Cobra . Another "ramp" spell I think is worth trying is Atarka's Command . It can ramp, bolt the opponent, pump all your creatures, clap your opponent's lifegain, etc. Also can't forget our boy Lightning Bolt .
For creatures, I'd at least cut Ob to 1 copy, if not altogether. Same with Omnath, Locus of Rage , unless you want to lean more into the elemental tribal. Territorial Scythecat does not seem worth it. I like Ancient Greenwarden , but it costs 6, and it doesn't actually do anything by itself either, it depends on other landfall creatures, so I'd also cut that to 0-1.
For lands, fetch lands would obviously increase the deck's power significantly, but I assume you aren't using them because of budget constraints.
Don't really have anything else to add rn but if I think of smth I'll be sure to tell you.
5 months ago
There are a few notable cats from magic history if you want to dig them up - The one drops in particular are pretty good.
There are a few more if you want 1/1s or chunky green/white blockers, but there are enough creatures to make the tribe ok - the only reason they aren't great is that they are a little unfocussed - Pride of the Clouds wants flying creatures, steppe wants landfall, nacatyl particular lands, arbiter tax effects, warder flicker, etc etc.
Best of luck - a nethroi brew feels more likely to work out than anything else I can think of.