Thing in the Ice
Creature — Horror
Thing in the Ice enters the battlefield with four ice counters on it.
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, remove an ice counter from Thing in the Ice. Then if it has no ice counters on it, transform it.
Printings View all
|Shadows over Innistrad (SOI)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Thing in the Ice occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.19%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%
Thing in the Ice Discussion
1 month ago
Interesting changes, and I have a few thoughts. Firstly, I would say that while Thing in the Ice Flip is a great card here, I’m not quite as keen on Whelming Wave. I can see how it works as a finisher, but it may set you back too far if you play it as a stalling card. Thing is probably enough in my mind. Secondly, I have a number of possible suggestions, but they may each lend better to taking the deck in different directions:
Since your graveyard is likely to be very large with all the discarding, something like Treasure Cruise might be a really nice include, since you largely lack other interaction with all of those cards.
Again, with all the discarding that you’re doing, Bag of Holding might be another nice way of holding onto your cards for later use.
Glint-Horn Buccaneer is another decent payoff for all the discarding, but this might move you away from the game plan of all the sea creatures.
Drake Haven is the last discard themed card I’d recommend, since the drakes it makes can be a very strong aerial threat very quickly.
If we focus more on the drawing cards side, something like Nadir Kraken could also be nice, and fits within the sea creature theme.
Perhaps too expensive, but The Locust God could potentially be an amazing game winning card in this deck, but six mana may be too much.
Channeled Force seems like it could be absurd whichever way the deck ends up leaning if you’re willing to pitch your hand to it.
And finally, as you will hopefully have a graveyard filled with spells, Blitz of the Thunder-Raptor might be a better removal spell.
I know this is a lot, and much of this will not interest you to play around. I just hope that this has given you some more ideas of what to do with the deck, and I wish you luck with it.
1 month ago
BRG24 I tried to stream line the deck a bit more. I feel like Whelming Wave and Thing in the Ice Flip are counter intuitive but the plan is for Thing in the Ice Flip to hold off aggro till I get Rielle, the Everwise pumping out Krakens from Ominous Seas and just Whelming Wave away all resistance keeping all krakens on the field. Any thoughts?
1 month ago
At the moment your deck looks a little bit confusing... It doesn't seem too consistent in terms of a battle plan. I've seen Mono Blue Aggro thrive in 2 ocasions: merfolk and tempo aggro.
I think you're not much interested in merfolk since this lisr is clearly not based on that tribe.
So, I think you could go for a tempo-ish route that's still somewhat budgety:
Faerie Conclave can be a 2 or 4-of... (Depending on the tempest djin mechanics) Tempest Djinn is pretty neat Cryptic Serpent is interesting, but doesn't have evasion Pteramander is a 5/5 by turn 3-5 Thing in the Ice Flip has some disruption that doesn't bother you too much...
With that in mind you could very well run Thought Scour to mill yourself and help your own creatures Think Twice since it's instant and gives 2 draws Opt because it's an instant Remand and Vapor Snag to build that tempo...
This way you could play on your opponent's turn while you build up your game and close the game with the creatures... I think I'd go with 4 thing in the ice, 4 pteramander and 2-4 tempest djin... And probably run 20-22 lands
4 think twice 2-4 thought scour 2-4 opt
And then leave the rest for remand, mana leak and whatnot
1 month ago
You might not have the critical mass to make it work but Door of Destinies might be a good wincon with a bunch of unblockables.
Covetous Urge is a fun and interesting one
1 month ago
Your average converted mana cost is low enough to go to 33 or 34 if you had mana dorks.
- Holdout Settlement and Survivors' Encampment are just Springleaf Drum on lands. These are reasonable, depending on how hard your game plans need Kalamax or not.
- Rashmi, Eternities Crafter: Rashmi is incremental advantage. You and both know that you are going to play cards on other people’s turns, so why not get free stuff for doing so? Wavebreak Hippocamp does the same thing if you want more of this effect.
- Birds of Paradise, Llanowar Elves, Elvish Mystic, Arbor Elf, Priest of Titania, Rattleclaw Mystic. I prefer creature-based ramp if I’m playing . Most of these cards will Pod into Corridor Monitor, Deceiver Exarch, and Pestermite.
- Spellseeker: Spellseeker grabs most of the instants and sorceries in your deck and more food for Prime Speaker
- Torrential Gearhulk: Snapcaster Mage #2 aka Fatcaster mage. The 5/6 body is nice for when games go longer than expected.
- Thing in the Ice
Flip: I noticed that you don’t have ways to protect yourself. If played earlier, you can flip Thing in the Ice and reset that battlefield. It was dumb in other formats, it’s dumb in EDH as well.
- Niv-Mizzet, Parun: End-game beater and a storm card. Not necessary but strong.
- Creature Tutors: Finale of Devastation, Eldritch Evolution, and Neoform. More tutors for consistency.
Instants and Sorceries
- Reality Shift and Rapid Hybridization: Good removal outside of and . Do you really care about a 3/3 beast or a 2/2 manifest token? I don’t……
- Manamorphose: Just a good cantrip in Temur.
- Swan Song: Another good counter spell, but you have that covered pretty well. Once again, no one cares about one 2/2 bird….no one…
- Reiterate: Goes infinite with Turnabout and Dramatic Reversal and or more mana. However, I think Isochron Scepter is just better if infinite mana is the goal.
- Nature's Lore: This is only and grabs any forest onto the battlefield. Most of the time, you are going to tutor for Forest, so why not grab Breeding Pool instead?
- Raging Ravine: Ok, it has your colors. Are you ever going to activate this man-land? Also, it comes in tapped. Gross….
- Arch of Orazca: I think Arch is better in decks that lack access to card draw. You’re in . Drawing cards, most of the time, is not going to be a problem for you.
- Frilled Mystic and Mystic Snake: I’ve fallen for this trap too. I don’t want to pay for a counterspell on a weak 2/2 body. Compare these two cards to other mana spells like Cryptic Command. This cards counters, protects, and draws cards. I prefer utility creatures with more flexibility.
1 month ago
Introducing the synonyms/nicknames system to alleviate all those "wtf was that one land of that one cycle named?" problems that plague you.
This system is simple. It is designed to redirect terms that you typed out that match a synonym/nickname of a card, to that card name. This lets you never have to remember the name "Seachrome Coast" and can instead just type out "WU Fastland" (as an example). Note that this only works in text edit entries on deck lists and inventory, not the live edit or the card search forms.
There is a lot of other things that are utilised here as well.
- Godzilla Names
- Non-American Spellings
- Common Nicknames
- Common Misspellings
- Redirections of Misspelled Submissions
- Each side of a split card as a synonym (unless they already exist as a card).
Not needing to know the name of each card in a land/artifact cycle is a big boon, but you still need to know the nickname of that cycle and the syntax. For lands/mana rocks/the swords of X and Y at the present moment it is always "XY Nickname" or "YX Nickname". Examples:
- WU Fastland
- GR BFZ
- GW ABUR Dual Land
- BW Fetch
For 2 colour lands, it is always the two colour letters, followed by the nickname, and then followed by the option to have the world land either connected to the nickname or not. (these are all viable options for example: "WU Fast", "UW Fastland", "UW Fast Land".) For 3 colour lands, it is only the primary order of colour letters you see on cards, or the Alara/Khans name. (WUB Lair, Mardu Triome as examples.) Swords and other artifact cycles follow the same setup (though swords can also be "Sword of GB" or "Sword of G and B"), and mono colour land cycles use the same setup just with only one letter. Note that none of these are plural, so don't put that s in. Colourless cards that are a part of a cycle use C/Colorless/Colourless.
Some of these cycles don't have well defined names yet (like BBD) and some of these cycles have had too many names that people constantly fight over so there was no point in bothering to put them all in and instead I just used the TLA (specifically BFZ).
The primary purpose of this is to make the ability to tag cards and edit decks/inventory far more robust than what it has been. Tappedout doesn't presently have a spellchecker, and to be fair most sites don't. It's not an easy feature to implement. So with this synonyms/nicknames feature, we can alleviate some of those aggravations of misspellings or different ways to spell a word by making them valid targets and redirecting them to the right card name. Another benefit of this is the ability to give cards shorthands or nicknames when the community largely doesn't remember the actual name of a card, just their shorthand. We have all been hit with "wtf is that land's name again?" when we know for a fact that it's just "the blue and white shadows over innistrad reveal land". This saves the step of having to open up a search engine to figure out the card name, and in general speeds up and makes the process of building decks and inventory, a lot more enjoyable.
Cycles that currently have nicknames: Show
- ABUR Duals as ABUR/Duals/ABUR Duals
- MDR Artifact Lands as Artifact Lands
- AKH Bike Lands as Bikes/Bicycles/Bicyclings/Cycle Lands/Cycling Lands
- BFZ Lands as BFZ/BFZ Lands
- RAV Guildhalls as Guildhalls
- SHM/EVE Lands as Filters
- VIS Karoos as Karoos/Bouncelands
- RAV Karoos as Karoos/Bouncelands
- MH1 Lands as Horizons/Canopy Lands
- SOI Lands as SOI Lands/Reveal Lands
- Swords of X and Y as XY Swords/Swords of XY/Swords of X and Y
- Temples as Temples/Scrylands
- Thrivings as Thrives/Thrivings
- IKO Triomes as Triomes/Tricycles/Cycles/Cyclings
A lot of the cycle synonyms are meant to intuitive and robust so that you won't even have to think about knowing what the exact written synonym actually is and still be able to get it right on the first try, though it will take time to reach a point in which this is 100% true. As an example of scope, each recognized nickname for a cycle creates 6 entries for each given card in that cycle. So the AKH lands have 30 entries for each card in that cycle, resulting in a total of 150 entries. The Triomes have the same amount, but if I were to add each individual string combination of the colour letters (WUB, BUW, WBU etc) then that count would increase by 45 for each entry, resulting 75 entries for each one, totalling at 375 entries for the whole cycle.
Nicknames will usually be things like "Snappy", "Bolt", "Path", "Bob", "FoW", etc. They are to be commonly used by the larger community as a whole, not what your FNM/play group exclusively uses (though this isn't a hard set in stone as I'm not omniscient).
Here's a list of nicknames that I have. Show
- Aether Vial: Vial
- Aetherflux Reservoir: Dome Dome
- Assassin's Trophy: Ass Trophy
- Birds of Paradise: Birds, BoP
- Bloodbraid Elf: BBE
- Brimstone Trebuchet: Bucket
- Cavalcade of Calamity: Cavalcade
- Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh Flip: Baby Chandra
- Chandra Nalaar: Zippotricks McEdgelord
- Charming Prince: Prince Charming
- Collected Company: CoCo
- Dark Confidant: Bob
- Dark Ritual: Rit
- Demonic Tutor: DT
- Dig Through Time: DTT
- Eternal Witness: E-Wit, E-Witness
- Explosive Vegetation: Explosive Veggies
- Field of Ruin: FoR
- Force of Will: FoW
- Ghost Quarter: GC
- Gilded Goose: Goose
- Giver of Runes: Mommy, Stepmom
- Goblin Charbelcher: Belcher, Charbelcher
- Grave Titan: Gravy Train
- Gray Merchant of Asphodel: Gary
- Griselbrand: Grizzy B
- Hypnotic Specter: Hippie
- Inquisition of Kozilek: IoK
- Jace, Cunning Castaway: Sexy Jace
- Jace, the Mindsculptor: Jace, JtMS
- Jace, Wielder of Mysteries: Lab Jace,
- Jace, Vryn's Prodigy Flip: Literal Actual Baby Jace
- Jace Beleren: Party Jace
- Karn Liberated: Karn
- Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker: Kiki, Kiki Jiki, Mirror Breaker
- Kitchen Finks: Finks
- Kytheon, Hero of Akros Flip: Baby Gideon, Baby Gids
- Laboratory Maniac: Lab Man, Lab Maniac
- Life from the Loam: Loam
- Lightning Bolt: Bolt
- Lightning Helix: Helix
- Lightning Strike: Strike
- Liliana, Heretical Healer Flip: Baby Lili
- Liliana, the Last Hope: Last Hope
- Liliana of the Veil: Lili, LotV
- Lion's Eye Diamond: LED
- Llanowar Elves: Dork, Elf
- Mother of Runes: Mom
- Necropotence: Necro
- Nissa, Vastwood Seer Flip: Baby Nissa
- Oblivion Ring: O-Ring
- Oko, Thief of Crowns: Oko
- Path to Exile: Path, PtE
- Pia and Kiran Nalaar: Chandra's Parents, Mom and Dad, Ma and Pa, Pia and Kiran, Parents
- Pia Nalaar: Chandra's Mom, Pia
- Primeval Titan: Prime Time
- Prodigal Sorcerer: Tim
- Sakura-Tribe Elder: STE, Steve
- Savage Punch: Bear Punch
- Scalding Tarn: Tarn
- Scavenging Ooze: Scooze
- Sensei's Divining Top: Top
- Settle the Wreckage: Settle
- Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon: Skittles
- Smuggler's Copter: Copter, Thopter Copter
- Snapcaster Mage: Snapcaster, Snappy
- Solemn Simulacrum: Sad Robot
- Sorin, Solemn Visitor: Sad Sorin
- Splinter Twin: Twin
- Swords to Plowshares: Swords
- Tarmogoyf: Goyf, Goyfy, Tarmo
- Tectonic Edge: Tec Edge, TecEdge
- Teferi, Hero of Dominaria: 5feri, T5feri
- Teferi, Time Raveler: 3feri, T3feri
- The Gitrog Monster: Gitrog, HypnoToad, Hypno Toad
- Thing in the Ice Flip: Titi
- Torrential Gearhulk: Fatcaster
- True-Name Nemesis: TNM, TNN, True-Name
- Ugin, the Spirit Dragon: Eugene, Ugin
- Wrenn and Six: W6, Wand6, Wn6
I have about 200+ cards of non-American spellings added as synonyms in this site, however I'm certain there's like, 5x that much I've missed. If you notice a non-american spelling I do not have in, let me know.
Here's a list of things that is in the works to do. Show
- All triple coloured land cycles (triomes, lairs, trilands) to have an entry for each of their letter combinations. (Example, bant lands would have WUG, GUW, WGU, GWU, UGW, UWG.)
- All dual coloured land cycles will have the ravnican guild names to replace the two colours as an option.
- All land cycles will have the TLA as an option to replace the nickname.
- All land cycles to have "Nickname XY" format.
- More non-american spellings.
- More common misspellings.
- Cards that have or do not have the word "and", to have a synonym of the opposite.
- Synonym that is a version of the card name but without punctuation.
- Nicknames of all the cards with commas that ignores everything past the comma, provided that it is unique.
- Fringe/old land cycles.
- A lot of mana rock cycles.
A card can have any number of synonyms/nicknames. But only one synonym/nickname can be tied to a card. So if a new card/land cycle gets printed that has covers a misspelling (like an UNcard might) or has that nickname as it's actual card name, those synonyms will get removed (as an example, Snapcaster Mage cannot have Snap as a nickname). We are also looking to limit the amount of times a synonym has to get removed so nicknames of cards during their presence in the standard formats are not likely to be put in, as they become forgotten or even re-used when they rotate out. These are also done manually so sometimes a change might just take a while to do if it encompasses a large number of cards or a large number of synonyms.. We also won't be going through alternate language as possible synonyms because WotC doesn't nearly double check duplicate card names for foreign languages as well as they do for English cards.
This is not something on the card submission form, so it is not available to edit for any user.
If you know of something missing like common misspellings or common non-American spellings that will be needed, or cycle syntaxes that you tried to use but didn't work, post them here and I'll review them for possible inclusion in the future.
EDIT: Before you ask for a nickname etc to be added:
- Check if it exists first by trying it out.
- Check if the larger community recognizes it, this is done by going around discords, lgs' and other forums about that nickname.
- Check if it has any nsfw, discriminatory or derogatory terminology, we straight up will not allow these.
This isn't a system for your pet nickname that your local playgroup uses. This is a system that can utilize nicknames that naturally grew organically out of continued use from the larger mtg community as a whole. This isn't a "which nicknames do you think this system could use" but rather "which nicknames that are used across the world that we have missed".
2 months ago
EDIT: Awe shucks, others beat me to it :(
2 months ago
First of all your mana base is super painful, with 4 islet and 4 shocks, i would go to 2 shocks and 1-2 islet and then add spirebluff canal. As for the list itself i would move away from staying wizards. wizards lighting is nice, but its not worth losing out on better creatures. stormchaser mage just is not a good card, especially after sprite dragon came out. i would cut him and add Thing in the Ice Flip, thing is pretty much the best creature an izzet spell deck has access to. As for companions, Jegantha, the Wellspring is absolutely free to run in this decks sideboard as u do not have repeat mana symbols, having a free 5/5 is nice.