As Ancient Amphitheater enters the battlefield, you may reveal a Giant card from your hand. If you don't, Ancient Amphitheater enters the battlefield tapped.
: Gain or .
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Ancient Amphitheater Discussion
4 months ago
Hey, you're welcome.
In my last comment I said "there's quite a few cards that look out of place" what I mean by this are cards that are creatures who you don't want to or can't cheat onto the battlefield with Kaalia, cards that don't help Kaalia in any way or support that's simply not worth the mana cost of the card. You have many more good cards than subpar ones and I don't want to discourage your deck building, but the rest of this comment are examples of cards that don't belong.
- Auntie's Hovel: not enough Goblins.
- Ancient Amphitheater: there isn't a Giant here.
- Oswald Fiddlebender: powerful card, one of my favs from the set, but it needs artifacts for fuel as well as having an artifact that you want to search for. Only 11 artifacts isn't enough to play this guy.
- Wall of Reverence: you simply don't need this card to gain life since it can't be cheated onto the battlefield with Kaalia or can even attack. Any Angel who has lifelink would be a better source of life.
- Serra Angel: in this day and age of Magic Serra is the definition of subpar. Any other five drop Angel with lifelink would be an upgrade for her.
- Guttersnipe: It's not a bad card, but you need a lot of instants or sorceries to fuel it's damage trigger. Having only 18 instants or sorceries out of the other 99 cards is not enough to play Guttersnipe.
- Isochron Scepter: it's an expensive card here that doesn't have a lot fuel. Like Guttersnipe there's not enough instants, but even worse is Scepter can only interact with instants that are 2 or less mana thus there's only 9 options of 99 cards in the deck.
- Mutilate: with only 6 Swamps you're counting too much on controlling Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth for Multilate to have enough Swamps to be playable.
- Crypt Rats: same as Mutilate you're counting too much on controlling Urborg to have enough black mana sources.
9 months ago
Hi! Thank you very much for the comment and the suggestions!
I have to confess, I didnt know Unnatural Selection until now. It is definetly a great card in this deck! I should consider to add it. However I would not replace Wings of Velis Vel in spite of the fact that it looks to be quite weak. The changelling instants are essential during the gameplay. Let me explain why:
It is every creature type so Sliver Overlord is able to find it directly. He can tutor a "sliver card", not a "sliver permanent", what means a great flexibility for all of the changelling instants.
It is every creature type so with Morophon, the Boundless on board you can actually cast it just for
It is every creature type so you can easily reanimate these instants via Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero . She is able to put a "Rebel card" not a "Rebel permanent" on the bottom of your library. That is how you can play it repeatedly.
The Wings of Velis Vel is quite versatile as well. Many times I have used the card as sort of "removal" of an opponent's dirty flyer when I have created my own surprising 4/4 flying blocker.
Last but not least: I dont want to fully optimize the deck. I would like to keep a bit of its sense of "lore". Therefore I want to play the tribal lands as Ancient Amphitheater , Gilt-Leaf Palace or Murmuring Bosk . For this reason I need a number of changelling cards to keep them functional (to reveal a Giant, Elf, Treefolk etc and to play them untapped)
Sure it is possible to replace Tendo Ice Bridge by Mana Confluence . In this case I just worry a bit to play too many pain lands, because the deck is not extremly fast and it doesnt have any easy way how to gain life.
You are right about the bordwipe as well. I used to play the Whelming Wave as a cheap and lore variant of Cyclonic Rift . Later, I beleave, I have replaced it with a counterspell, because I havent used it much. Anyway.. it is still in my mind.
Thank you once more for the comment and for discovering Unnatural Selection for me ;)
1 year ago
You made some nice additions and fixed your rock ramp up nicely. Like I said on the previous version of this deck though, I would've used the lands I recommended to replace your lands that come in tapped and not your basics. I believe this deck would perform a lot better if you were running ordinary Mountains and Plains instead of cards like Ancient Amphitheater, Boros Guildgate, Stone Quarry, Temple of Triumph, either of your vivid lands, and Wind-Scarred Crag.
I like the changes you made though. Really nice deck for the budget you're working with! Nice job. :^)
1 year ago
2 years ago
03 Nov Updates with ELD:
Bounty Agent > Odric, Master Tactician : With our reasonable amount of recursion in the deck, the agent can be a good removal against our opponent's commander or other legendary artifact, creature or enchantment
2 years ago
Also personally my experience with Boros you will want to run 36-37 lands.
2 years ago
really like the idea of the of deck and if you use the changlings to there fullest try out the tribal lands from lorwin block here they are and they i think a fun way of showing off everything tribal Flamekin Village , Primal Beyond , Murmuring Bosk , Ancient Amphitheater , Gilt-Leaf Palace , Auntie's Hovel , Secluded Glen , Wanderwine Hub , and Rustic Clachan
2 years ago
- Boros Guildgate out for Rugged Prairie
- Stone Quarry out for Mana Confluence
- Wind-Scarred Crag out for City of Brass
- Ancient Amphitheater out for Clifftop Retreat
- Looming Spires out for Command Tower
- 1x Plains out for Mistveil Plains
- Seraph Sanctuary out for Scavenger Grounds
- Teetering Peaks out for Ash Barrens