|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Magic 2014 (M14)||Rare|
|Promo set for Gatherer (PSG)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Human Wizard
Whenever Xathrid Necromancer or another Human creature you control dies, put a 2/2 black Zombie creature token onto the battlefield tapped.
Xathrid Necromancer Discussion
2 months ago
I get the force sacrifice theme but do not really see many creatures YOU would want to sacrifice. I count 4 creatures who once they enter I would be happy to let die to trigger something or force sacrifice (WS, VE, SD, and G). This is not counting Sakura-Tribe Elder, co. because I assume you will want to sack them to their own effect most time.
Creatures who are happy to die and come back or create tokens to be sacrificed are: Reassembling Skeleton , Bloodsoaked Champion , Squee, the Immortal , Open the Graves , Xathrid Necromancer , Overseer of the Damned , etc. all give you extra bodies to sacrifice while keeping your enablers free.
I am surprised to see so little graveyard recursion either, some to consider: Phyrexian Reclamation , Palace Siege , Animate Dead , Whisper, Blood Liturgist , Phyrexian Delver , etc. are good for getting back killed creatures or reanimating high-CMC ones (@ 4.03 that is pretty HIGH).
For ramp I would add in more creatures who self-sacrifice to grab basics (and add more basics in place of tap lands) to kill 2-birds with one stone. Burnished Hart , Wild-Field Scarecrow , Dawntreader Elk , Pilgrim's Eye , Skittering Surveyor , and of course Solemn Simulacrum .
Such a theme screams to have more aristocrat value pieces added: Zulaport Cutthroat , Poison-Tip Archer , Fecundity , Outpost Siege , Harvester of Souls , and Skullclamp , etc. all make every death benefit you that much more.
You don't seem to be playing any counter spells, even for protection with such high-costed creatures, I would add more via Heroic Intervention , Mizzium Skin , Wrap in Vigor , Undying Evil , etc. I like Kaya's Ghostform but it telegraphs to opponents that this will need to be killed 2x, and a truce may be made to ensure Sheoldred dies. One of the above is "sneakier."
3 months ago
I would take out the following. Maw of the Obzedat Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder Whisper, Blood Liturgist Crypt Ghast Xathrid Necromancer Flesh Carver Deathgreeter Elixir of Immortality Treasure Map Flip Well of Lost Dreams Death Grasp If you really want an effect like that of Whisper, Blood Liturgist , I would use Hell's Caretaker , it just seems to work better during game play.
4 months ago
Here are some more cards:
4 months ago
These combos and or these cards
- Xathrid Necromancer
- Vela the Night-Clad
- Teshar, Ancestor's Apostle
- Judith, the Scourge Diva
- Eternal Witness
5 months ago
So I did get to play test a bit on Monday. Aetherworks Marvel was SUPER fun! I had TK out and I was able to sac 3 creatures for an immediate 6 energy to dig 6 cards deep. At one point I had 14 energy and not enough untap effects to use it all XD.
Necrotic Sliver is a heavy investment, but I like the fact that I have flexibility; if I don't got the mana but I got 3 white creatures, I can sac it to Teysa and exile something. Or, use the three mana to blow something up. Regardless, I still get a spirit to use for it later.
Bolas's Citadel is so gross (in a good way) with how low my curve is. Paying small amounts of life to just churn through the deck is worth it. Grave Titan also did some serious work, and I'm glad I put it in the deck. With my next deck idea though, idk if that deck wants it more than Teysa does (Basically a cycling deck of sorts, using Astral Drift/Slide, Drake Haven and Faith of the Devoted to get insane value). Havent really decided yet though.
Vampiric Rites was also a really good add. A bit mana intensive, but getting to draw a card is great. With the Altars that add mana, its usually like:"Sac a creature, add mana, pay a black and sac a token/Skeleton, draw a card". Its also really nice with Citadel when you get a small land clump and need to get it out of there.
If you are wanting to add another board wipe (besides Eviction, cause that card is just a staple IMO), I'd suggest Fumigate . Its one more mana than WoF and Dam., but it can also just make sure you don't immediately die. Cleansing Nova is also a good choice, since you can always have the option of either or. If you want even more value, you could run Austere Command . Since most of the deck is CMC 3 or less, you can always choose High CMC and artifacts or enchantments, whichever is worse for the opponents and keep your board.
I guess I didn't consider the fact that it (Rotlung) can get killed and just make tokens. Might mean Xathrid Necromancer might have a place yet in the deck. I don't have allot of Humans, but it is similar to Rotlung in the sense it replaces itself at the very least (though the token enters tapped), and also triggers Teysa to make another token (Spirit).
8 months ago
I love this deck, I have a really similar [modern] deck Humans to Demons, but I focus more on amassing humans that sacrificing, however, I do include Westvale Abbey Flip for additional sac opportunities. Xathrid Necromancer and Athreos, God of Passage make losing creatures less painful. Both Thalia, Guardian of Thraben and Thalia, Heretic Cathar prove to be great humans to have in your sideboard.
I'd appreciate it if you checked out my deck. Thank ya, and I hope you find my suggestions helpful!
9 months ago
I love the deck! I get that the 1 mana self sacking creatures paired with Athreos, God of Passage must be insane with the drain triggers (or 3 life to the face) but did you consider running the likes of Cartel Aristocrat Bloodsoaked Champion Lingering Souls in a more aristocrats style deck? Cartel Aristocrat your free sac outlet will constantly have protection in this deck, Bloodsoaked Champion has recursion so you can keep casting, if they take the athreos damage you can play him again, if they don’t take the damage you guessed it you can play him again. Lingering Souls is just one of the best cards in modern for BW sac fodder, flyers and recursion.
Continuing this way does open you up to Xathrid Necromancer because of the humans but I’ve never found it to work out that well myself. Elenda, the Dusk Rose is another option to crank up the tokens by doing what you’re doing anyway but I imagine Teysa is a better filler for that drop anyway.
Vizkopa Guildmage basically gives you pay three mana and double your drain, before you sack the board that would be devastating.
Another human with great synergy for the deck humanless or not is Qarsi Sadist
10 months ago
Suggestions for "additions" (I'm not sure what you want to take out)
Also here is my list if you want some additional inspiration: https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/shadowborn-apostles-demons-will-rise/
The list is outdated, casual, and just a rough remake of a list I had previously that I lost, but there might be something you've missed in there.
- Aven Shrine - Provides ridiculous lifegains even with just a small number of apostles in the yard.
- Xathrid Necromancer - (Rotlung Reanimator v. 2) - Tokens enters tapped, which is an issue, but it triggers off humans which hits slightly more targets than cleric. More of an aggressive inclusion rather than combo defensive tool.
- Angel of Glory's Rise - gets back all your Clerics for another run.
- Rally the Ancestors - You have Immortal Servitude , this is its buddy.
- Doom Whisperer - Razaketh, the Foulblooded does what this does better under normal circumstances. Haven't playtested this one but the general idea is to Surveil as many Clerics into the graveyard as possible until you hit a mass-resurrection-spell. Combines really well with aforementioned Aven Shrine by possibly finding and fueling the Shrine's condition, leading to mass lifegains, leading to more Surveil.
- No Rest for the Wicked - Haven't playtested this one either and possibly more a jank inclusion. The idea is to make sure you can get your Clerics back into hand if Athreos is not available or people are willing to pay. It's better to just have the mass resurrection spells before this.
I would probably pull out:
- Krav, the Unredeemed - He seems lackluster in the setup and you don't seem to create an abundance of tokens to really abuse his ability.
- Harvester of Souls - Would likely swap him out for a Grim Haruspex . While the Harvester triggers off of your opponent's creatures dying, you would need a Grave Pact effect in play to actually take advantage of that. The main portion of cards you get from this is from your own creatures. And I figure if you are able to search for a demon, the Harvester is not the prime target. At least when I've played he has been under performing. The Haruspex is easier to cast and is returned with both Rally the Ancestors and Angel of Glory's Rise . You can even find her with Recruiter of the Guard in case you've already found your Edgewalker .
- Unburial Rites - Just seems lackluster to me but that's also because my playgroup run a lot of exile, especially on big targets in colors that usually gets them back. In general I find Phyrexian Reclamation to be a better inclusion because I can secure I get my Clerics back which is the overall gameplan.
Anyway just my 2 cents. Hope you can use it in some capacity :)
Xathrid Necromancer occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%