|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Magic 2014 (M14)||Rare|
|Promo set for Gatherer (PSG)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Human Wizard
Whenever Xathrid Necromancer or another Human creature you control dies, put a 2/2 black Zombie creature token onto the battlefield tapped.
Xathrid Necromancer Discussion
2 months ago
I love this deck, I have a really similar [modern] deck Humans to Demons, but I focus more on amassing humans that sacrificing, however, I do include Westvale Abbey Flip for additional sac opportunities. Xathrid Necromancer and Athreos, God of Passage make losing creatures less painful. Both Thalia, Guardian of Thraben and Thalia, Heretic Cathar prove to be great humans to have in your sideboard.
I'd appreciate it if you checked out my deck. Thank ya, and I hope you find my suggestions helpful!
3 months ago
I love the deck! I get that the 1 mana self sacking creatures paired with Athreos, God of Passage must be insane with the drain triggers (or 3 life to the face) but did you consider running the likes of Cartel Aristocrat Bloodsoaked Champion Lingering Souls in a more aristocrats style deck? Cartel Aristocrat your free sac outlet will constantly have protection in this deck, Bloodsoaked Champion has recursion so you can keep casting, if they take the athreos damage you can play him again, if they don’t take the damage you guessed it you can play him again. Lingering Souls is just one of the best cards in modern for BW sac fodder, flyers and recursion.
Continuing this way does open you up to Xathrid Necromancer because of the humans but I’ve never found it to work out that well myself. Elenda, the Dusk Rose is another option to crank up the tokens by doing what you’re doing anyway but I imagine Teysa is a better filler for that drop anyway.
Vizkopa Guildmage basically gives you pay three mana and double your drain, before you sack the board that would be devastating.
Another human with great synergy for the deck humanless or not is Qarsi Sadist
4 months ago
Suggestions for "additions" (I'm not sure what you want to take out)
Also here is my list if you want some additional inspiration: https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/shadowborn-apostles-demons-will-rise/
The list is outdated, casual, and just a rough remake of a list I had previously that I lost, but there might be something you've missed in there.
- Aven Shrine - Provides ridiculous lifegains even with just a small number of apostles in the yard.
- Xathrid Necromancer - (Rotlung Reanimator v. 2) - Tokens enters tapped, which is an issue, but it triggers off humans which hits slightly more targets than cleric. More of an aggressive inclusion rather than combo defensive tool.
- Angel of Glory's Rise - gets back all your Clerics for another run.
- Rally the Ancestors - You have Immortal Servitude , this is its buddy.
- Doom Whisperer - Razaketh, the Foulblooded does what this does better under normal circumstances. Haven't playtested this one but the general idea is to Surveil as many Clerics into the graveyard as possible until you hit a mass-resurrection-spell. Combines really well with aforementioned Aven Shrine by possibly finding and fueling the Shrine's condition, leading to mass lifegains, leading to more Surveil.
- No Rest for the Wicked - Haven't playtested this one either and possibly more a jank inclusion. The idea is to make sure you can get your Clerics back into hand if Athreos is not available or people are willing to pay. It's better to just have the mass resurrection spells before this.
I would probably pull out:
- Krav, the Unredeemed - He seems lackluster in the setup and you don't seem to create an abundance of tokens to really abuse his ability.
- Harvester of Souls - Would likely swap him out for a Grim Haruspex . While the Harvester triggers off of your opponent's creatures dying, you would need a Grave Pact effect in play to actually take advantage of that. The main portion of cards you get from this is from your own creatures. And I figure if you are able to search for a demon, the Harvester is not the prime target. At least when I've played he has been under performing. The Haruspex is easier to cast and is returned with both Rally the Ancestors and Angel of Glory's Rise . You can even find her with Recruiter of the Guard in case you've already found your Edgewalker .
- Unburial Rites - Just seems lackluster to me but that's also because my playgroup run a lot of exile, especially on big targets in colors that usually gets them back. In general I find Phyrexian Reclamation to be a better inclusion because I can secure I get my Clerics back which is the overall gameplan.
Anyway just my 2 cents. Hope you can use it in some capacity :)
5 months ago
5 months ago
I like the Quest, but it needs to be sacrificed after removing the three counters, sadly. There are a few sac weenies in white that would allow to fetch it back from the graveyard, but I don't know...
Instead, I'd put in something like Yahenni, Undying Partisan. Triggers with Teysa, has synergy through his sac indestructibility, and will eventually become quite monstrous (if that's the plan behind the 5/5).
Also considering you have 6-7 humans, maybe you could run Xathrid Necromancer. I know it's not really great, but still. Same for Disciple of Bolas to get some more card draw and Shadows of the Past is great value (I'd run either it or the Jar of Eyeballs that I mentioned before). Just remember that it's "Scry 1" twice and not "Scry 2" . People in my playgroup forget sometimes, hehe
I know these are a looooot of suggestions being thrown at you left and right, sorry about that. I'm just in a really big deck building/experimenting mood lately!
6 months ago
Hey friend! First, that sounds like a good trade to me. My RiP is from RTR, and is NM/LP.
In addition, if your binder is up to date, I might be interested in Arlinn Kord Flip (is she SOI?) and some random Cube wants like Xathrid Necromancer, Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest, and Wayward Swordtooth if you wanted to trade some small fry. No worries if you're using those, but I figured I'd ask (:
6 months ago
I remember playing something like this when I first got into magic back in Innistrad, so i think I can help you out.
I don't know how competitive you want to make this so i'll just try to improve the list based on your strategy and won't change the theme of the deck. First things first, let's trim your list a bit, you have a bunch of 2 and 3-ofs instead of playsets of the stuff you really want (4x Doomed Traveler, 4x Lingering Souls, 4x Demonic Taskmaster).
Second, I would cut the stuff that has synergy with the deck but don't really help you win the game (Unruly Mob, Thraben Doomsayer) and things that are way too expensive. Ravenous Demon Flip is sweet but not so much when you have 3 of them in your hand along with some Reaper from the Abyss. So I would cut reaper completely, cut Ravenous Demon Flip to 2 at most, and cut Increasing Devotion (5/10 mana is too much).
Now we start upgrading some things. For 1-drops, we just got a good one in guilds of ravnica for this style of deck in Hunted Witness, so I would definitely play that alongside Doomed Traveler. Demonlord of Ashmouth is really good in a deck like this, and he's the demon I would likely run instead of the 5 and 6 mana ones.
Lastly, we need interaction. Orzhov Charm is a good choice, you can use it as removal, to save one of your demons or bring back one of your 1-drops for extra fodder. Tragic Slip is a great removal option here, since you're saccing your own stuff all the time it's basically a 1 mana Murder. I probably wouldn't even play card draw in this deck, but if you want to play it go with Altar's Reap, its instant speed and can help trigger morbid for slip and high priest.
I know your manabase is super budget but i would highly recommend Caves of Koilos, it's dirt cheap and it's gonna help a ton.
I'd play something like this: 4 Hunted Witness, 4x Doomed Traveler, 3x Skirsdag High Priest, 4x Demonic Taskmaster, 2x Xathrid Necromancer, 4x Demonlord of Ashmouth 4x Gather the Townsfolk, 4x Lingering Souls, 4x Orzhov Charm, 4x Tragic Slip 7x Plains, 4x Scoured Barrens, 8x Swamp, 4x Caves of Koilos.
Combo: T1 Doomed Traveler (or Hunted Witness), T2 Skirsdag High Priest, T3 Demonic Taskmaster, T4 sac Doomed Traveler to Demonic Taskmaster to trigger morbid, tap the token, taskmaster and high priest to make a 5/5 demon!
That's it, i hope it helps!
8 months ago
Hmmm, seems like you might limit yourself if you stick to just humans. Also the only cards in your deck that care if you play humans is Xathrid Necromancer, Thalia's Lieutenant, Champion of the Parish, and Falkenrath Aristocrat which that last one you can't reanimate with your commander.
You're probably going to want loads more tribal support if you're dedicated to just humans. This deck badly wants Adaptive Automaton, Door of Destinies, Kindred Boon, Kindred Dominance, Mirror Entity, Obelisk of Urd, Path of Ancestry, Shared Animosity, Shared Triumph, Stoneforge Masterwork, Taurean Mauler, Unclaimed Territory, Urza's Incubator, Vanquisher's Banner, and Cavalry Pegasus.
Lastly, while this is a humans tribal deck there are some non-human creatures that can give effects to all creatures, which when you think about it can be treated as though it were a tribal ability in essence. These creatures would be Angel of Invention, Drana, Liberator of Malakir, and Grenzo, Havoc Raiser, because their effects also apply to all your human creatures.
Xathrid Necromancer occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%